• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 56 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
REAL World Champions in basketball actually play in international competitions against a world of competitors. You want to be a REAL "World Champion" team in basketball? Take on the world! One way to do so is to compete in Olympic basketball. The other way? Compete in the FIBA Basketball World Cup representing your nation. This thread is all about the latest installment of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup set to take place in Spain. The fun begins August 30, 2014 and runs its way through September 14, 2014.

For more information on the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, visit http://www.fiba.com/spain2014 to learn more about this year's World Championship and to gain all sorts of information. A lot of the usual suspects have to be favorites, including [and especially] the United States. Anyone whom has no idea on other nations in basketball can really learn from the FIBA World Championship about other countries that are great in basketball. If you at least know some of the star international players in the NBA, you have somewhat an idea of what nations are also talented in basketball. Heck- even look at the Euroleague.

So how about some chatter on the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup?

Despite the fact that we don't have a chance, I just hope Mexico showcases some good ball play :)

Mills is out injured which really cripples Australia, I'm still hoping for a good showing now though if Exum plays.

It does hurt that Patty Mills won't be part of Team Australia. However, I don't think it will hurt Australia too bad. Australia has a good deal of talent. I certainly respect AUS in basketball.

It does hurt that Patty Mills won't be part of Team Australia. However, I don't think it will hurt Australia too bad. Australia has a good deal of talent. I certainly respect AUS in basketball.

Too bad none of the other countries do, we normally don't even place at these events.:lol: Hopefully with players like Exum, Ben Simmons and Mills coming through that's about to change.
I still can't believe we're getting all Australia and Team USA games televised in Australia, that's going to be so awesome.:D

Basketball Australia and Team USA have announced their training camp rosters, pretty happy with the players announced. Australia has got everyone I wanted (Mills aside who is injured) except Bogut (what is he American now?) including Dante Exum and Ben Simmons the young small forward who will play college ball this season. DeMar DeRozan got on the USA camp roster, I wish him luck in making the team.

I'm completely new to this sport, but inspired by the previous EuroBasket, I'll probably check out how Finland does here.

Hopefully USA won't completely crush my team. ^^

To give you an idea about the field for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, here are the countries represented by group:

GROUP A:
1 - Brazil
2 - Egypt
3 - France
4 - Iran
5 - Serbia
6 - Spain

GROUP B:
1 - Argentina
2 - Croatia
3 - Greece
4 - Philippines
5 - Puerto Rico
6 - Senegal

GROUP C:
1 - Domincan Republic
2 - Finland
3 - New Zealand
4 - Turkey
5 - Ukraine
6 - United States

GROUP D:
1 - Angola
2 - Australia
3 - South Korea
4 - Lithuania
5 - Mexico
6 - Slovenia

Is the United States in the Group of Death? :D All joking aside, the one that seems the strongest is maybe Group B. Just about every country in that group has a good amount of solid talent. Not too sure about Puerto Rico and Senegal, but you certainly can't argue against Greece and Argentina. The Philippines are pretty good in basketball themselves. Being the host nation, I'm pretty sure Spain has to be the favorite in Group A. That's unless Spain loses handily to any of the others in their group much like Brazil to Germany in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. I think the USA will come out of Group C with their only toughest opposition being Turkey. In Group D, my two favorites have to be Australia and Lithuania. Don't disregard Angola, though. I almost sort of look at Angola in basketball like Cameroon or Ghana in soccer as far as African countries are concerned.

Those are your 24 teams. How do you see Group Play shake out?

How many teams advance from each group? I had no idea the Kiwi's made the world cup in the end, poor buggers drew USA and some tough though. Lithuania may prove too much for Australia to top.

Curiously, I came across a live stream of a basketball game between Mexico and Costa Rica being played in Panama. Mexico led at halftime by a score of 40-9. Costa Rica will not play in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, but I never thought Mexico was this good in basketball. I always regard Mexico as being great in football (as in soccer). Mexico will be seeing much tougher opposition in their group as opposed to slapping around Costa Rica.

[UPDATE] This is a game in the Centrobasket U15 competition. This is NOT the Mexican national team as to play in the FIBA 2014 World Cup. MEX now leads CR 49-13 with 5:10 left in the 3rd Quarter.

Last edited:
The only tough team in USA's bracket is probably Turkey, and to an extent Ukraine.

Me personally, I don't care if USA wins the tourny (they probably most likely will) I just want D Rose to attack the court in anger and renew confidence in the Bulls fan base.

The only tough team in USA's bracket is probably Turkey, and to an extent Ukraine.

Me personally, I don't care if USA wins the tourny (they probably most likely will) I just want D Rose to attack the court in anger and renew confidence in the Bulls fan base.

That's a shame, good ol' Dellavedova will prevent him from doing any of that.:P I joke, with a faint hint of hope.:lol: Seriously though, without Mills who is easily Australia's best player right now, we'll struggle to win games.

Re: premise of first post...

Yeah right, Miami or San Antonio would destroy whoever winds up winning the FIBA WC.

Let me share some videos with you to give you an idea of FIBA basketball and some of the nations involved in this FIBA 2014 World Cup. Take a look:

^ Australia vs. New Zealand, 2013

^ Croatia vs. Greece, EuroBasket 2013

^ Germany vs. Angola, 2010 FIBA World Championship

^ Philippines vs. China - 3rd Place Game, 2014 FIBA Asia Cup

^ USA vs. Turkey (USA highlights), FIBA World Championship 2010

That is only some of the teams in the 2014 FIBA World Cup.

Blake Griffin and Kevin Love won't play for Team USA. K. Love opted out with all the trade talk going about. This is Team USA we're talking about. And like we say in college sports, I'm pretty sure Team USA will just reload with talent rather than try to find new talent to fill the roster.

Sounds like USA will be playing small ball, talk of players like Parsons playing power forward.

There is a report that Manu Ginobili will not play for Argentina in the FIBA World Cup because of a fibula injury. So no Manu for Argentina in the 2014 FIBA World Cup.

There will be a team USA intra-squad scrimmage on NBA Gametime for those that have it tomorrow/today.

Here are some of the many names to fill Team USA's roster for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup: James Harden, Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver, Damian Lillard, Kenneth Faried, and Chandler Parsons (all among many others). How you like this, Team USA fans?

Kevin Durant pulled out! Team USA are still the heavy favourites, but it sure opens the door for someone like maybe Spain.

Edit: Rudy Gay is to replace Durant. Australia won their first pre-tournament game against Finland 100-95. Joe Ingles contributed 20pts, Brock Motum had 17.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but if any Aussies are interested (@Spacegoat, @Jay, @Stavingo) you can watch the Australia vs Finland pre-tournament game from the other day by searching "Sporto TV Australija" on YouTube. I suspect they may yet put up the Ukraine game as well, but that remains to be seen. With any luck the Lithuanian game will go up though when they play it in a few days.

Maybe it would just be easier if I posted the video here?:dunce: Sometimes, I just shouldn't post late at night.:lol:

Edit: Today's game against Lithuania, Australia lost by 13pts. Worth about as much as NBA pre-season games.:dopey:

Last edited:
We have mostly discussed some of the usual suspects and usual powers. Do you think there are any teams that could possibly be sleepers or maybe are underrated in this tournament?

Derrick Rose takes 3 painfully obvious steps to get to the hoop and score, everyone's like "Yaay D Rose is back!". Maybe I should take 2 years away from the game so I can get away with travelling.:boggled: The Brow is really playing well though, if someone took a pair of tweezers to him he'd be a great player.:lol:

We are about a week away from the start of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup action. Sure like to see which countries will all be among the best of the best in international basketball. I'm certainly hoping my USA boys play hard in this tournament. Maybe a few suprise teams may emerge from this tournament. Never know.

Hoping the Aussie team does us proud, hopefully Exum balls out of his mind :)

I still think Exum needs a couple more years, I say it's up to Baynes, Dello and supporting cast like Bair and Ingles.

Back