2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 56 comments
Probably but good experience for him, will do him well preparing for the NBA

For sure, he needs all the experience he can get at this stage, and he'll probably be good for some flashes during the World Cup, he just won't dominate......yet.;)

The weekend for FIBA has finally arrived.:) We have a Boomers game on ABC2 in the wee hours of the morning, and a USA game on ABC not too long after.

Here's a little roundup of some scores...

* USA smashed Finland 114-55.
* Iran got crushed 90-60 by Spain.
* Lithuania tamed Mexico 87-74.
* Senegal got beaten by Greece 87-64.
* The closest game was between France vs. Brazil, and Brazil won 65-63.

The championship is now run in anger. Turn these teams loose and let them play some inspired basketball.

Australia lost to Slovenia.:indiff: Certainly not the start we wanted to this tournament.

Wow, Dario Saric of Croatia (and eventually the Philly 76'ers) lost six teeth in today's game and kept playing! Props to the guy, that's ballsy.
Australia bounced back today against South Korea, but watching the game I still wasn't impressed. Very stagnant offence, it was only that South Korea doesn't have a good team that we pulled off such a big win.

The United States slammed New Zealand 98-71. We (the USA) get to take on the Dominican Republic next. Besides that, Slovenia beat the Korea Republic 89-72; but those chartreuse-colored uniforms for Slovenia look bloody terrible!

Congratulations to all other winners from Tuesday's games.

Congrats Australia!

:grumpy:

That was such a great game to watch! I didn't know we had any Lithuanians (unless I'm mistaken) on the forum.👍 You guys have a great fanbase and punch well above your weight in basketball.:)

Currently defeating Korea! :) We can do it! :D

Edit: Good News!!! We won! :cheers:

Bad News: We are going to get crushed on Saturday :lol:

Last edited:
That was such a great game to watch! I didn't know we had any Lithuanians (unless I'm mistaken) on the forum.👍 You guys have a great fanbase and punch well above your weight in basketball.:)
Thanks, the whole basketball thing is indeed quite big here. :) I don't really follow it as much as most do but people seem to predict high medals. I'm kinda dubious but we'll see. :lol:

Australia looks to have tanked today's Angola game to avoid USA in the final 8, but resting star players during a condensed schedule and not risking injury in a mostly pointless game isn't a bad strategy either.

Thanks, the whole basketball thing is indeed quite big here. :) I don't really follow it as much as most do but people seem to predict high medals. I'm kinda dubious but we'll see. :lol:

I guess your team seems to be missing some key players much like ours is, I heard your best point guard is out injured and I've no idea where Linas Kleiza is.

Serbia smashed Greece 90-72. I thought Greece usually is a quite tough contender. So therefore, I was stunned to see Greece not only lose to Serbia (which is also a beast country in basketball) take down Greece so hard in this tournament.

Also...

* Turkey just edged out Australia 65-64.

* Brazil bashed Argentina's brains in with an 85-65 evisceration. Normally, it would probably be Argentina beating down Brazil in basketball.

Still plenty of action remaining as the tournament continues.

Australia looks to have tanked today's Angola game to avoid USA in the final 8, but resting star players during a condensed schedule and not risking injury in a mostly pointless game isn't a bad strategy either.

I guess your team seems to be missing some key players much like ours is, I heard your best point guard is out injured and I've no idea where Linas Kleiza is.
Well, its a good strategy but it's gotten them in murky water.

Oops.

Well, its a good strategy but it's gotten them in murky water.

Oops.

It didn't count for much in the end when Turkey bombed two huge three's to knock us out anyway. I can only wonder what disciplinary action they'd want to enforce. If they did indeed tank the game it doesn't do much for the name of Basketball Australia, but then NBA teams do it all the time (see: Nets vs Raptors round 1 2014 playoffs), and most NBA teams frequently rest star players no different than Australia and some other teams did in the World Cup as well, especially given the 5 games in 6 days group phase.

I don't know for sure but I think Kleiza had a trauma and is on recovery now. :)

Anyway, go home, Turkey. :mischievous: This is getting interesting. I guess in best case it'll be a fight for the bronze for Lithuania with USA and Spain likely sharing the top two spots.

DOWN GOES SPAIN! It was 65-52 as France took down Spain in flames not too long ago. The host nation of this FIBA 2014 Basketball World Cup got bounced today thanks to the awesome play of France. Congratulations to Team France on this huge win.

DOWN GOES SPAIN! It was 65-52 as France took down Spain in flames not too long ago. The host nation of this FIBA 2014 Basketball World Cup got bounced today thanks to the awesome play of France. Congratulations to Team France on this huge win.

Solid win for France. It sure does leave USA the clear cut favourite now.

The United States won 96-68 over Lithuania and will meet the winner of France/Serbia in Madrid for the Gold Medal. Lithuania got a bit chippy with the USA at times- even after the game, but Team USA still won the game.

With France vs. Serbia... winner gets the USA, loser goes to the Third Place Game.

Lithuania didn't get chippy with USA, USA got chippy with Lithuania :P. Cousins once more still showing he's immature.

In the Third Place Game, it was 95-93 as France took down Lithuania. Congratulations to France on this victory.

Tomorrow's match is the United States vs. Serbia. At stake for the USA is that no team has ever won four successive international basketball championships, and the USA has three so far (2008 Beijing Olympics gold medal, 2010 FIBA World Champions, and 2012 London Olympics gold medal).

United States vs. Serbia ended up becoming a 129-92 victory for the USA. Yes- all hail the champs... the United States of America! All congratulations to Serbia despite them losing to the USA.

That was an absolute flogging, can't say I didn't see it coming though.

Back