2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 4,127 comments
No-one saw Senegal beating world champions France in 2002 either - and they went out to Turkey (who finished third and yet haven't even qualified for 2014).

Don't underestimate the workrate of Nice Korea. Portugal will and look what it costs them.

Brazil have announced there squad for the World Cup, here it is as followed...

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jéfferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Internazionale), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli)

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Forwards
: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro)

No Miranda, Kaka, Lucas Moura, Lucas, Coutinho, Sandro,.....

Germany have also announced their 30 man provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller, Ron-Robert Zieler.

Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Erik Durm, Benedikt Höwedes, Kevin Großkreutz, Marcell Jansen, Matthias Ginter, Mats Hummels, Shokdran Mustafi, Marcel Schmelzer, Per Mertesacker, Philipp Lahm.

Midfielders: Lars Bender, Julian Draxler, Mario Gotze, Marco Reus, Andre Hahn, Sami Khedira, Leon Goretzka, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Toni Kroos, Max Meyer, Mesut Özil, Thomas Muller.

Strikers: Kevin Volland, Lukas Podolski, Andre Schurrle, Miroslav Klose.

South Korea have named three Premier league players in their squad, Cardiff's Kim Bo-Young and Sunderland's on loan Ki Sung-Yeung, Arsenal's Park Chu-Young and QPR's Yun Suk-Young are also there...

Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah is in Iran's 28 man training squad, which also includes Charlton's Reza Ghoochannejhad...

Peter Odemwingie and Sola Ameobi are in Nigeria's provisional 30 man team..

....and Edin Dzeko and Asmir Begovic are in Bosnia's squad.

Germany have also announced their 30 man provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller, Ron-Robert Zieler.

Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Erik Durm, Benedikt Höwedes, Kevin Großkreutz, Marcell Jansen, Matthias Ginter, Mats Hummels, Shokdran Mustafi, Marcel Schmelzer, Per Mertesacker, Philipp Lahm.

Midfielders: Lars Bender, Julian Draxler, Mario Gotze, Marco Reus, Andre Hahn, Sami Khedira, Leon Goretzka, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Toni Kroos, Max Meyer, Mesut Özil, Thomas Muller.

Strikers: Kevin Volland, Lukas Podolski, Andre Schurrle, Miroslav Klose.
Is Mario Gomez injured or just dropped?:confused:

Also, Klose can become the highest world cup goalscorer in history if he scores twice, IIRC.

Mexico's squad is up

KEY:

-NAME
-TEAM (If not especified, Team from the Mexican league)

GK

Guillermo Ochoa
Ajaccio (FRA)

Jesús Corona
Cruz Azul

Alfredo Talavera
Toluca

DEFENDERS

Paul Aguilar
América

Rafael Márquez
León

Héctor Moreno
Espanyol (ESP)

Diego Reyes
Porto (POR)

Carlos Salcido
Tigres

Miguel Layún
América

Francisco Javier Rodríguez
América

Andrés Guardado
Bayer Leverkusen (ALE)

MIDFIELDERS

Carlos Peña
León

Luis Montes
León

Isaac Brizuela
Toluca

Héctor Herrera
Porto (POR)

Juan Carlos Medina
América

Marco Fabián
Cruz Azul

José Juan Vázquez
León

FORWARDS

Oribe Peralta
Santos

Giovani dos Santos
Villareal (ESP)

Javier Hernández
Manchester United (ING)

Alan Pulido
Tigres

Raúl Jiménez
América

Also, Klose can become the highest world cup goalscorer in history if he scores twice, IIRC.

To be honest, I think that's the only reason they are taking him. Okay, he adds abit of experience aswell, but he hasn't done much this season with Lazio.

Could the record of the great Ronaldo be broken ? :eek:

Trust me.

I'm more pessimistic about England's chances than most, but I don't think Italy and Uruguay are as good as you say. We'll lose to Italy for sure, but Uruguay don't have too much behind their forward line. Their centre-back captain couldn't even get a game for West Brom.

Austria won the Eurovision song contest last night, they last won in 1966. That year Real Madrid won the European Cup, Athletico Madrid won the La Liga, and England won the World Cup.

IT'S A SIGN!!!!

Austria won the Eurovision song contest last night, they last won in 1966. That year Real Madrid won the European Cup, Athletico Madrid won the La Liga, and England won the World Cup.

IT'S A SIGN!!!!

You know I couldn't help it, but I just checked to see who won the premier league in 1966, well First Division as it was back then. I know it is slim chance for us later on today, but hey we clinging onto these sort of omens. :P

Roy Hodgson announces his England Squad and Standbys at the Vauxhall headquarters in Luton (got to keep the sponsors happy!) at 2pm tomorrow, it'll be shown live on Sky Sports News...

According to the news Ashley Cole has been left out.

Hoping Caroll is on the list tomorrow.

I'd rank Carroll over Welbeck and Defoe honestly. Mainly as he can be used as a target man if it all goes terrible for England, and he is one of the best at winning the ball from the air in Europe.

If I had to name the squad this is what I'd go for...

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Walker, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Caulker, Baines, Shaw

Gerard, Wilshere, Sterling, Lallana, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Milner

Sturridge, Rooney, Lambert, Caroll.

Walker, Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain are all doubts so there would be 3 more backups in there before narrowing down to 23.

Probably forgot about someone as well. :lol:

I'd rank Carroll over Welbeck and Defoe honestly. Mainly as he can be used as a target man if it all goes terrible for England, and he is one of the best at winning the ball from the air in Europe.

If I had to name the squad this is what I'd go for...

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Walker, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Caulker, Baines, Shaw

Gerard, Wilshere, Sterling, Lallana, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Milner

Sturridge, Rooney, Lambert, Caroll.

Walker, Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain are all doubts so there would be 3 more backups in there before narrowing down to 23.

Probably forgot about someone as well. :lol:

They've just said on MOTD that Walker probably won't go, and that Wilshere and Oxlaid will be fit.

Oh and Ashley Cole announced on twitter that he got a call from Hodgson saying he didn't make the team. And that he thinks the time is right to retire from international football.

Mexico's squad is up

Personally, I think those are the best available players from México (Why are you doing this Vela), and with Miguel Herrera, in my opinion, the best mexican coach right now, just behind Javier Aguirre, I can afirm they have a chance to get to the second round, but they'll be stopped by either Spain or the Netherlands, they'd have a chance if it was Chile instead of one of those, though

That must be the first post in a football thread from you that didn't involve a complaint about the Mexican national team.:eek:

:lol:

Guess I forgot about it... Now I have to complain, I'm afraid... :P

Francisco "Maza" Rodríguez

Y U DO THIS HERRERA???

But I guess you have some points @AJHG1000 : 1) He has World Cup experience, 2) He knows Miguel Herrera's system and 3) he can always axe people if he can't stop 'em...

But, overall, I just hope he doesn't get any minutes on the tournament... Maybe... maybe he could be useful against Croacia and Cameroon, but if he plays against Brazil, were done.

I would like him to prove me wrong, though...

Are you crazy? Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck and Defoe are the 5 best strikers for Roy to take.

For the reasons Akmuq pretty much stated...

Carroll has performed well in internationals and his size is a bonus.

Back