2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 4,127 comments
Lisandro López, Gabriel Mercado, Fabián Rinaudo and Franco Di Santo out of Argentina's World Cup list.

So much for those fanboys in Argentina who wanted to kill Sabella for "calling" Di Santo instead of Tevez. It was obvious he would be left out, and was only called because leaving out Tevez out of the final 26 would be public suicide.

England have been in a training camp in Portugal ahead of their first warm up game against Peru at Wembley next Friday, the whole squad and standbys have trained together, the only doubts are Jones and Rooney, neither are injured just lacking match fitness...

Van der Vaart is out with an injury.

I see this as a good thing. That fat blob hasn't been fit all season.

Found out that all the games will be on in the evening in the UK, kick off times will be 5pm, 8pm, 9pm, and 11pm, there is one game that kicks off at 2am and that's Ivory Coast v Japan...

....World Cup football nearly every night for a month...what's not to like!

Found out that all the games will be on in the evening in the UK, kick off times will be 5pm, 8pm, 9pm, and 11pm, there is one game that kicks off at 2am and that's Ivory Coast v Japan...

....World Cup football nearly every night for a month...what's not to like!
I still can't think of the logical reasoning behind having England-Italy originally pencilled in for that 2am game...

I still can't think of the logical reasoning behind having England-Italy originally pencilled in for that 2am game...
Having a later kick off in the heat of Brazil would be a good thing for England, I'd have thought. Although England would probably need for the game to kick off at 2am for it to be cool enough...

Having a later kick off in the heat of Brazil would be a good thing for England, I'd have thought. Although England would probably need for the game to kick off at 2am for it to be cool enough...
Well, the heat of the north and northeast of Brazil you mean... Here in São Paulo we're facing near-winter temperatures in the middle of autumn..

So England play their first warm up match against Peru at Wembley tonight after 10 days in a Portugal training camp, no injury worries for Hodgson but Shaw is a doubt with after suffering from a cold, all the players who were injury doubts at the start of the training camp are fit and available

...it also a busy time for the Wembley staff because about an hour after the game they have to get things ready for the Boxing tomorrow night..

Even though we won 3-0, 2 of those goals came from set plays. Not a convincing performance at all against a team that aren't even in the WC.

Yeah it wasn't great by England last night, Sturridge goal was fantastic though!

Spain squad was cut to 23 today and Torres has made it, but he is the only bad one out off a hugely impressive looking squad!

Swansea players Vorm and De Guzman made the cut for the final Dutch squad..

We've got another fallen one... :(

Luis Montes, Midfielder from back-to-back mexican Champions León FC & the Mexican National team got his leg destroyed just 4 minutes after scoring a fantastinc goal vs. Ecuador.

Warning: The following images might be disturbing to some audiences...

http://www.sdpnoticias.com/deportes...-se-lesiona-gravemente-y-se-pierde-el-mundial

Seriously, DO WE REALLY NEED SO MANY GAMES BEFORE A WORLD CUP???????? NOT ONLY US, BUT SEVERAL TEAMS HAVE LOST KEY PLAYERS DUE TO INJURIES!!!!!!!!!!

:(

FUERZA CHAPO!!!!!

Festejo-Luis-Montes-Mexico-Ecuador_MILIMA20140531_0121_11.jpg

Meanwhile, FIFA have surprised no-one by getting caught up in another corruption scandal over the Qatar bid:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/27652181

I expect out media will latch onto this, given the way he allegedly blocked a vote for Australia. We lost the 2022 bid by a landslide, so a single vote wouldn't make much difference.

Especially when you're talking about teams that have drawn on domestic players competing in foreign leagues. They would get very little opportunity to work together in a competitive match otherwise. Picking the top eleven players from your country is no guarantee of success. They need to forge relationships and put those relationships through their paces. It's less of a problem for the powerhouses, but the fringe teams like Australia need it. Our friendly with South Africa in Sydney was the team's first chance to actually play together.

Looking forward to the World Cup. Its sad that our South African Team can only qualify if they are the host nation!
2010 was a blast. Saddest part of the World Cup was seeing Ghana being kicked out by that idiotic move from Uruguay's Suarez.
Might not get to watch all the games live as a result of the time zone difference. But I'll definitely be recording all of them.
Viva Brasilia! Make it 6 stars.

Riccardo Montolivo of Italy is another player who's had to pull out of the tournament because of a broken leg suffered in their warm up match against Ireland last night...

Last edited:
Riccardo Montolivo of Italy is another player who's had to pull out of the tournament because of a broken leg suffered in their warm up against Ireland last night...

A broken leg in the warm up? I wonder what he did to incure the wrath of Balotelli.

A broken leg in their warm up match last night...not in the warm up of the match...my mistake..

Segundo Castillo from Ecuador is apparently done and out of the World Cup. He's the guy that crashed with Montes yesterday... He played for CF Pachuca and Puebla FC in Mexico.

Fuerza Castillo!

Back