2014 FIFA World Cup Qualification

• Thread starter Famine
  • 568 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the European qualifying section comes to a close in the next week and out of the home nations England are the only team with a chance of qualifying and need to beat Montenegro and Poland in two massive games to get to Brazil..

I'll have to miss the game on Friday night but thankfully I'll be able to watch the final game of the hex on Tuesday evening.

need to beat Montenegro and Poland in two massive games
Easy. We (Poland) haven't got any chance to win. I don't know why most pepole in Poland still think we can qualify to World Cup.

Easy. We (Poland) haven't got any chance to win. I don't know why most pepole in Poland still think we can qualify to World Cup.
With Lewandowski you have great attacking threat.

With Lewandowski you have great attacking threat.
And defensive which lost goal against San Marino, Boruc can't save everything. Yes, we've got great striker, but who can help him? Team-mate Blaszczykowski, "one month hero" Sobota or young talent Zielinski? We haven't got any chance to win, any.

But England's problem is that they can easily throw a game like Montenegro or Poland by performing abysmally and being defeated 1-0 because they panic and let their egos get in the way of a win.

I think England will be ok though, the squad looks a lot stronger than it has in previous games when they had the likes of Rooney and Sturridge withdrawing, the only player who has gone this time is Cole and even if he was fit I would pick Baines ahead of him anyway..

Mexico vs. Panama today... Doomsday has finally arrived...:nervous:

My prediction: a 1-1 tie and the final nail in the coffin for our pathetic national football team... 👎

Sky Sports News are saying that Andros Townsend will make his first start for England against Montenegro tonight, it'll be a big risk if true in such a big game..

England team...Hart, Walker, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Lampard, Gerrard, Townsend, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge...

Last edited:
Cushty 4-1 win for England, Townsend looked very good, confident, running at defenders, making runs and getting the ball in. Plus a goal and a deserved man of the match. Bad news, Walker is suspended for the game on Tuesday for a "foul" on Jovetic. But Jones will be able to plug the gap, he's just not as attacking as Walker.

Plus I will be able to watch the match against Poland now, as I don't have to be up at 4am! Hurah!

The Netherlands completely destroyed Hungary tonight. 8-1. And I missed it. :lol:

'Mighty' Magyars.

Still, a win for Wales restores some pride for us. The next game against Belgium will be Craig Bellamy's last international. He has been an outstanding player and I shall miss him dearly.

Now that's a nice goal, Chaco bleeding like there's no tomorrow, and it looks like first win out of 4 or 5 matches :D

Edit: Here's the goal I'm talking about...

tumblr_mujhm3h0P41sk9g6ao2_400.gif

Last edited:
I have a couple of thoughts from last night's game:

1st... The team hasn't improved the slightlest... They were a storm at the begining of the game, but then that spirit faded away, that has happened in just about every game in the Hexagonal... :ouch:

2nd... Chicharito has reached the lowest point of his career, as low as the Mariana Trench... or even lower... he MUST NOT start again for the National Team until he recovers his level... 👎 He can't start for the national team when he lacks form and minutes @ his club, regardless if that club happens to be Manchester United... 👎

3rd... Miracles exist... (BENDITO SEAS RAÚL!!!!)👍

4rd... but it's frightening that we need such miracles to defeat PANAMA... at the AZTECA... :scared:...

I'm happy, but I'm still not confident of this team... right now, almost anybody outside Concacaf would destroy us...

Enjoyed last night football, good win for England and the risk to put an untried Townsend in more than paid off for Hodgeson but they still have a job to go on Tuesday...plus a morale boosting win for Wales and they played really well considering they had several players out with injury..

So it doesn't really get any bigger for England tonight, they have to beat Poland at Wembley tonight to qualify, if nit then Ukraine will get top shot ad they will be in the playoffs and Ukraine are away to San Marino so don't expect an upset there

Here is the England team according to Sky Sports News...Hart, Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Carrick, Gerrard, Townsend, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge...

Turkey vs the Netherlands. 8 minutes in and we are 1-0 up. Free kick by Robben.

Playing a 4-3-2-1 with Carrick and Gerrard in the pivot and Sturridge as Centre Forward. Obviously the main threat from Poland is Lewandowski so we have to contain him which should be OK with that defence that MUSC mentioned above.

I expect England to scrape through tonight. It will probably be a crap game, England games normally are.

I expect England to scrape through tonight. It will probably be a crap game, England games normally are.

If England fails to deliver you should all go to London, and then point and laugh at the players.

I wouldn't waste my breath on those overpaid, overrated fools.

You guys have the opposite problem of us Dutchies.

Excellent, probably the best league in the world but a so-so national team.

And we have a great (not the best) national team but our league.. Mickey Mouse league is not even cutting it

Because your league has young players in it that actually deliver at a later age. Which makes it my favourite league.

Because your league has young players in it that actually deliver at a later age. Which makes it my favourite league.

Well, that's true.

Also. 2-0. Sneijder. 1 minute in the second half. And the Turkish fans are silent.

10 games. 28 points. 34-5. Something to be proud of.

Last edited:
Hear that? That's every England fan across the land breathing a big sigh of relief.

Slightly bad news is England aren't being drawn as one of the top seeded teams, so they will face one of the big guns as early as the group stages. Now to wait for the 6th of December.

Also kudos to Wales for holding Belgium to a draw.

Last game of the cycle. A win, and we tie the record for best US performance in the hex round. A loss and a Costa Rica win, and Mexico will have to hope tiebreakers send them through to play New Zealand.

If you told me we would have the best result in CONCACAF locked up after 9 games after we went down and lost to Honduras, I would have laughed in your face.

Altidore will get his first opportunity to wear the armband since his time in the youth ranks, and Howard and Besler have been rotated out for Guzan and Goodson.

Does anyone know how the World Cup seedings work for non-UEFA nations? I would suspect at least the top CONCACAF team gets to be a top seed, if not two.

Chile to Brasil!!!!

2 WC's in a row!!! awesome!!

The best thing it's that we have an awesome team, and a really nice offensive style.

Well, Mexico need to keep that result so they can go vs. New Zealand, because Honduras is winning....

Mexico lost and they are still going for the WC vs. The all whites, thanks for those last minute goals from the U.S. to take the win against Panama, which is lame to depend on the results of the others :indiff:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back