2014 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by SVT Cobra GT, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

Coming off the back of a horrible weekend in Japan, the whole of the paddock's thoughts will be with Jules Bianchi after his accident. Away from that we had some great racing last weekend up and down the field and the championship battle continues on an all new circuit. Nobody knows what to expect in Sochi so this should be an exciting one. Get ready for the inaugural Formula One Russian Grand Prix.

[​IMG]

Event date: 10-12 October 2014
    Number of Laps: 53
    Circuit Length: 5.853 km (3.637 mi)
    Race Distance: 310.219km (192.761mi)
    Lap Record: Artem Kabakov - 2:25.703 (AMG Motorsports) (Russian Touring Car Championship)

1914 Podium (Most recent Russian Grand Prix):
    1st - W. Scholl - Benz
    2nd - S. Ovsyannikov - Vauxhall
    3rd - B. d'Argentine - Aquila Italiana

Sky Sports Classic Races;

Wednesday - Bahrain 2010
    Thursday - Belgium 2000
    Friday - Australia 1994
    Saturday - Britain 2008
    Sunday - Brazil 1991

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Jimlaad43 likes this.
  2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Turn 1 and Turn 4 look epic.

3. DK

DK Premium

It must be some sort of irony that Alexander Rossi could make his debut here.

4. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Does anyone know the weather forecast for the weekend?

5. FlyingFox

FlyingFox

baldgye likes this.
  6. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Thanks, dry race then... I still can't work out the layout and if it will be good or bad for over taking.

I've seen people playing F1 2014 and struggle with it, but that could be that they don't know the track more than anything else....

7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Uninteresting with outbreaks of dullness, from the looks of things.

Layout certainly looks good; the first straight looks immense too.

8. Peasantslayer

Peasantslayer

It looks like there will be a lot of overtaking opportunities, generally the corners seem very sharp looking with lots of mini straights preceding them.

9. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Long straight has me worried that DRS will be to strong here...

10. NW48

NW48

I'm loving the look of series of corners after the back straight! It's a shame that the mood will be at an all-time low due to Bianchi's unfortunate incident though but hopefully we hear some good news about him by then. Anyway, I'm sure that this track should favour the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg. Lots of long, fast straights that are sure to put the Red Bull's of Vettel and Riccciardo at a disadvantage.

11. Peasantslayer

Peasantslayer

They said that at Suzuka but RB were losing 6/7 tenths in S1 even though they had a high downforce setting and that sector is all about downforce.

12. NW48

NW48

True, anyway my early prediction for the podium wil be;
    1st- Lewis Hamilton
    2nd- Nico Rosberg
    3rd- Valteri Bottas

Hopefully I didn't just jinx them all. ;)

baldgye likes this.
  13. neljack

neljack

Super long straight, Red Bull were mighty in sector 2.

14. Peasantslayer

Peasantslayer

I suppose there is a bit of a straight but even if they lost half a second into T1 they shouldn't be losing another couple of tenths through the esses and the rest of S1.

EDIT: Had a quick look at the S2 times and they didn't look much better there either.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/931/7406/best_sector_times.html

15. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Seems like a pretty safe prediction :p

NW48 likes this.
  16. NW48

NW48

Naturally I would have put Button at first as would any fan of a certain driver, but I know that is a bit too unrealistic this year. Next year with McLaren-Honda (if he keeps his seat), it'll be a different story. ;)

17. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Haha yeah maybe, I really think Alonso, Button would be one of the best line ups in the grid.. But that's just me

NW48 likes this.
  18. NW48

NW48

My thoughts exactly. Two experienced heads to kickstart a renewed partnership with Honda would be the best way to go.

baldgye likes this.
  19. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

DRS isn't automatically applied to the length of the straight. It's been available for the full length in the past few rounds because they have typically had shorter straights, but the FIA actually calculates the idea DRS zone based on the length of the straight and the downforce characteristics of the circuit.

20. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Right, but I cant think of a time when DRS wasn't either too strong or too weak...

21. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It's an inexact science, because all of the cars are different, and their performance changes over the course of the season and from year to year. But they generally get close - as over- or under-powered as it may be, it's never wildly incorrect.

22. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Not sure I agree with that. But I dislike DRS as a concept so I'm bias.

I feel like if we have to have DRS drivers should be able use it when ever they like, risk/reward.

23. Pagey279

Pagey279

I always like it when you get a brand new track in the calendar, you never know what will happen.

Have Marussia announced if anyone is filling in for Bianchi or have they left the space clear?

24. Pezzarinho17

Pezzarinho17

Alexander Rossi is Marussia's reserve driver so expect it will be him that steps up. Will Stevens is in the Marussia camp though if for any reason they opt for him to drive instead.

25. Imari

Imari

26. DK

DK Premium

Stevens has one advantage over Rossi when it comes to racing in Russia - he's not American.

ukfan758, AJHG1000, Jimlaad43 and 2 others like this.
  27. Pilitev

Pilitev

Not sure about the track, lots of 90 degree corners.

28. DK

DK Premium

After hearing about the severity of Bianchi's injury, I've started wondering whether Marussia would do what Williams did for the 1994 Monaco GP and only enter one car.

29. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Marussia need to have two cars on track; teams are paid by TV minutes. Half cars = half potential. I don't think anyone would blame them for carrying on with carrying on, there's nothing else they can do.

30. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

They would need a special dispensation from the FIA to field a single car. Given the events in Suzuka, they would almost certainly get it. Even then, Bianchi's chassis is currently impounded pending the investigation, so they would need to use a spare tub with any available parts.