2014 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Coming off the back of a horrible weekend in Japan, the whole of the paddock's thoughts will be with Jules Bianchi after his accident. Away from that we had some great racing last weekend up and down the field and the championship battle continues on an all new circuit. Nobody knows what to expect in Sochi so this should be an exciting one. Get ready for the inaugural Formula One Russian Grand Prix.

BoohW_9CYAA2gPn.jpg

Event date: 10-12 October 2014
Number of Laps: 53
Circuit Length: 5.853 km (3.637 mi)
Race Distance: 310.219km (192.761mi)
Lap Record: Artem Kabakov - 2:25.703 (AMG Motorsports) (Russian Touring Car Championship)

1914 Podium (Most recent Russian Grand Prix):
1st - W. Scholl - Benz
2nd - S. Ovsyannikov - Vauxhall
3rd - B. d'Argentine - Aquila Italiana

Sky Sports Classic Races;

Wednesday - Bahrain 2010
Thursday - Belgium 2000
Friday - Australia 1994
Saturday - Britain 2008
Sunday - Brazil 1991

Last edited:
It must be some sort of irony that Alexander Rossi could make his debut here.

It looks like there will be a lot of overtaking opportunities, generally the corners seem very sharp looking with lots of mini straights preceding them.

I'm loving the look of series of corners after the back straight! It's a shame that the mood will be at an all-time low due to Bianchi's unfortunate incident though but hopefully we hear some good news about him by then. Anyway, I'm sure that this track should favour the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg. Lots of long, fast straights that are sure to put the Red Bull's of Vettel and Riccciardo at a disadvantage.

Anyway, I'm sure that this track should favour the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg. Lots of long, fast straights that are sure to put the Red Bull's of Vettel and Riccciardo at a disadvantage.

They said that at Suzuka but RB were losing 6/7 tenths in S1 even though they had a high downforce setting and that sector is all about downforce.

They said that at Suzuka but RB were losing 6/7 tenths in S1 even though they had a high downforce setting and that sector is all about downforce.
True, anyway my early prediction for the podium wil be;
1st- Lewis Hamilton
2nd- Nico Rosberg
3rd- Valteri Bottas

Hopefully I didn't just jinx them all. ;)

Seems like a pretty safe prediction :P
Naturally I would have put Button at first as would any fan of a certain driver, but I know that is a bit too unrealistic this year. Next year with McLaren-Honda (if he keeps his seat), it'll be a different story. ;)

Haha yeah maybe, I really think Alonso, Button would be one of the best line ups in the grid.. But that's just me
My thoughts exactly. Two experienced heads to kickstart a renewed partnership with Honda would be the best way to go.

Long straight has me worried that DRS will be to strong here...
DRS isn't automatically applied to the length of the straight. It's been available for the full length in the past few rounds because they have typically had shorter straights, but the FIA actually calculates the idea DRS zone based on the length of the straight and the downforce characteristics of the circuit.

DRS isn't automatically applied to the length of the straight. It's been available for the full length in the past few rounds because they have typically had shorter straights, but the FIA actually calculates the idea DRS zone based on the length of the straight and the downforce characteristics of the circuit.
Right, but I cant think of a time when DRS wasn't either too strong or too weak...

Right, but I cant think of a time when DRS wasn't either too strong or too weak...
It's an inexact science, because all of the cars are different, and their performance changes over the course of the season and from year to year. But they generally get close - as over- or under-powered as it may be, it's never wildly incorrect.

Not sure I agree with that. But I dislike DRS as a concept so I'm bias.

I feel like if we have to have DRS drivers should be able use it when ever they like, risk/reward.

I always like it when you get a brand new track in the calendar, you never know what will happen.

Have Marussia announced if anyone is filling in for Bianchi or have they left the space clear?

Alexander Rossi is Marussia's reserve driver so expect it will be him that steps up. Will Stevens is in the Marussia camp though if for any reason they opt for him to drive instead.

After hearing about the severity of Bianchi's injury, I've started wondering whether Marussia would do what Williams did for the 1994 Monaco GP and only enter one car.

DK
After hearing about the severity of Bianchi's injury, I've started wondering whether Marussia would do what Williams did for the 1994 Monaco GP and only enter one car.

Marussia need to have two cars on track; teams are paid by TV minutes. Half cars = half potential. I don't think anyone would blame them for carrying on with carrying on, there's nothing else they can do.

They would need a special dispensation from the FIA to field a single car. Given the events in Suzuka, they would almost certainly get it. Even then, Bianchi's chassis is currently impounded pending the investigation, so they would need to use a spare tub with any available parts.

Latest Posts

Back