2014 Grosser Preis Von Österreich (Austrian GP)

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 345 comments
United States
Louisville, KY
ukfan758
After the spectacular race in Canada, the Formula One circus makes its stop at the Red Bull Ring in Austria. The event makes its return after a 10 year drought from the Formula One calendar. Will we see Mercedes dominate again, will we see Red Bull win, or will another team win? We will see at the 2014 Austrian GP!

Headlines:
  • Former F1 driver Micheal Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has been released from the hospital, he will be continuing rehabilitation in private and away from the general public.
  • Haas Formula team owner Gene Haas is hoping for a Ferrari technical deal and has said that he will be basing his team in the UK and in the United States according to the Telegraph.
  • Marshalls at the Canadian GP discharged fire extinguishers at fans to keep them from picking up debris from the Massa-Perez incident.
  • Audi wins the 2014 24 hours of Le Mans
  • The 2014 FIFA World Cup has started, be sure to check out the discussion thread and fantasy thread here on gtplanet.

Track:
512px-Circuit_Red_Bull_Ring.svg.png

Race Date:22 Jun 2014
First Grand Prix:1964
Number of Laps:71
Circuit Length:4.326 km
Race Distance:307.020 km
Lap Record:1'08.337 - M. Schumacher (2003)

Event Times:

Practice 1
schedule_hLine.gif
Fri 10:00
Practice 2
schedule_hLine.gif
Fri 14:00
Practice 3
schedule_hLine.gif
Sat 11:00
Qualifying
schedule_hLine.gif
Sat 14:00
Race
schedule_hLine.gif
Sun 14:00

(All times are based on the track's local time)

2003 Results:

1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
3 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
4 Jenson Button BAR-Honda
5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
6 Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
7 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth
8 Jarno Trulli Renault
9 Antonio Pizzonia Jaguar-Cosworth
10 Cristiano da Matta Toyota
11 Ralph Firman Jordan-Ford
12 Jacques Villeneuve BAR-Honda
13 Justin Wilson Minardi-Cosworth
Ret Giancarlo Fisichella Jordan-Ford
Ret Nick Heidfeld Sauber-Petronas
Ret Fernando Alonso Renault
Ret Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
Ret Olivier Panis Toyota
Ret Heinz-Harald Frentzen Sauber-Petronas
Ret Jos Verstappen Minardi-Cosworth

We could have some rain! I want to see if McLaren gain something from their updates and also how much is the gap going to be between Mercedes and the others at this short track.

We could have some rain! I want to see if McLaren gain something from their updates and also how much is the gap going to be between Mercedes and the others at this short track.

Might be short but can't see balance of power changing, with it being largely a power circuit still.

Only 3 drivers who started the 2003 race are still racing in F1, (Button, Raikkonen and Alonso) so for many a brand new circuit.

I think neljack is right, balance of power won't change much but the gaps will look small as they have less time to get away, downhill DRS zone should be interesting, I believe detection is before turn 2 so might see a lot of DRS action into turn 3.

Only 3 drivers who started the 2003 race are still racing in F1, (Button, Raikkonen and Alonso) so for many a brand new circuit.

I think neljack is right, balance of power won't change much but the gaps will look small as they have less time to get away, downhill DRS zone should be interesting, I believe detection is before turn 2 so might see a lot of DRS action into turn 3.

Not for Magnussen, he raced there (at the slightly new layout) twice last year.

This is one of my main memories of Osterreichring, Heidfeld locks up and has a horrific slide into Sato. The clip says 2002... was it that long ago? Like most things I remember it as though it were just in some kind of fuzzy time :)

Sato was shaken, bruised but uninjured overall. I remember that the more distressing part of the incident was that it was either Mother's Day or that there was a Mother's event at the track, several drivers' mothers were in the respective team garages watching the race including Sato's... her first event. And probably her last.

While no one wants to see tracks throw up the potential for accidents like this I hope that the 'Ring hasn't been too neutered, so to speak, it was always one of my mostest favouritest tracks.

Do NOT insult the Osterreichring by giving that track its name. Not even Bernie Ecclestone would do such a thing.

Here's thing. The A1-Ring (how I will always call it) is a damn great race track. But being formerly part of the Osterreichring means it is overshadowed badly. A shame, as it also looks like minimal changes have been made to it with Red Bulls ownership.

Surely it is understandable why this track replaced the old Osterreichring, that track was too fast for modern F1, it was lucky not many where killed as the slightest crash at high speed especially on the last corner would be instant death.

The Redbull ring(A1 ring) layout is a good compromise as it still has plenty of high speed sections and has alot of flow to it still.

Surely it is understandable why this track replaced the old Osterreichring, that track was too fast for modern F1, it was lucky not many where killed as the slightest crash at high speed especially on the last corner would be instant death.

The Redbull ring(A1 ring) layout is a good compromise as it still has plenty of high speed sections and has alot of flow to it still.
They could restore the old layout by adding a huge amount of runoff areas in all of the high speed turns, just like every other track (old spa, old hockingheim ring, Monza and Imola without chicanes, etc)

A shame, as it also looks like minimal changes have been made to it with Red Bulls ownership.
Of course. Red Bull had to rebuild it on a budget. And when they first acquired it, they had no plans for Formula 1. If the race proves a success and it continues to be a viable business model, then perhaps they will expand and/or extend the circuit, but not before then.

Of course. Red Bull had to rebuild it on a budget. And when they first acquired it, they had no plans for Formula 1. If the race proves a success and it continues to be a viable business model, then perhaps they will expand and/or extend the circuit, but not before then.

I'm sure that once this years GP is done they might see more incentive to develop the track further depending on how big the crowds are.

I'm sure that once this years GP is done they might see more incentive to develop the track further depending on how big the crowds are.
You're forgetting that they are a business. They won't sink money into the circuit on the back of a single successful race. Instead, they will look at how the circuit develops in other series. The Grand Prix will attract attention, and from that they can try to attract other championships - Formula 3, DTM, WTCC, all of the Formula Renault series, ELMS or the WEC, Auto GP and domestic stuff.

The problem they face is that extensions to the circuit will be expensive, but only the high-level series will want to race there. But at the same time, those championships might not necessarily want to race there when they can use the short circuit.

And, of course, there was the controversy over the last planned extension, with environmental advocates preventing the work. That's why the circuit deteriorated - they knocked down the buildings, then the advocates filed an injunction, preventing any work from going ahead.

You're forgetting that they are a business. They won't sink money into the circuit on the back of a single successful race. Instead, they will look at how the circuit develops in other series. The Grand Prix will attract attention, and from that they can try to attract other championships - Formula 3, DTM, WTCC, all of the Formula Renault series, ELMS or the WEC, Auto GP and domestic stuff.

The problem they face is that extensions to the circuit will be expensive, but only the high-level series will want to race there. But at the same time, those championships might not necessarily want to race there when they can use the short circuit.

And, of course, there was the controversy over the last planned extension, with environmental advocates preventing the work. That's why the circuit deteriorated - they knocked down the buildings, then the advocates filed an injunction, preventing any work from going ahead.

I'm not saying that they'll develop it after just this weekends F1 race, I said it might give them more incentive to invest in the circuit depending on the crowds. If they can attract more racing series then they might redevelop it.

I actually wouldn't mind if either Vettel or Ricciardo were to win here.

Red Bull probably wouldn't mind it, either.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they brokered the return of the race because they expected to continue dominating.

I'm not sure about the other series but DTM's been racing there the last few years.

British users.
You aware of the Microsoft/Lotus F1 ad running around?
It's very well saying how you help the team but they aren't actually getting anywhere with Pastor Maldonado and an engine that is probably a worse power unit than the team radios.

British users.
It's very well saying how you help the team but they aren't actually getting anywhere with Pastor Maldonado and an engine that is probably a worse power unit than the team radios.
that ad has been here as well, pretty sure its an international ad.

British users.

No. What are you talking about?

Clearly you're aware of what you mean, but basically you're saying "guess what I would have posted if I could have been arsed".

Latest Posts

Back