2014 Grosser Preis Von Österreich (Austrian GP)

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 345 comments
Translated:
"I finished fifth at 18 seconds behind the winner without safety car, so it was my best race of the year. Ferrari improved? If you look at my teammate that is 10th, I wouldn't say so..."

He meant: Look, Kimi is a world class driver and he is 10th, so the car is still a piece of sh**. I finished 18 seconds behind the winner because it was my best race of the year.

"I finished fifth at 18 seconds behind the winner without safety car, so it was my best race of the year. Ferrari improved? If you look at my teammate that is 10th, I wouldn't say so..."

-

Maybe being a Raikkonen fan I'm considering these words a little bit too much.

Way to take something completely out of context.

What Alonso meant is exactly what he said. Even though it was his best race so far, he was still eighteen seconds behind the winner. The Ferrari Team itself did not improve, evidence being that Raikkonen only got tenth. And his other interviews reinforce this, where he says the team has a long way to go.

He has been saying this, and the team principals have been saying this, for the past few races. Ferrari as a team has to improve.

In none of his quotes, not even that one, does he take a swipe at Raikkonen, backhand or forehand.

If you can't read a simple statement of fact without flying into a frothing rage, one wonders how you get through any article about Kimi Raikkonen's season so far without putting your fist through your screen. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm sure if Ferrari was a decent car Alonso wouldn't be always faster than Raikkonen. Alonso driving 2008 and 2009 crappy Renault and some bad Ferrari's in the last years has improved his skills with bad cars compared to Raikkonen who drove a balanced Lotus. The same thing apply to Ricciardo vs. Vettel. With these cars Ricciardo has the advantage to come from a mid group Toro Rosso without the same downforce / mechanical grip than last 4 years RB. Vettel this year is doing basically another sport.

Alonso is faster than Raikkonen, there is no doubt of that, the point was he didn't come out and say that Kimi was slow like you originally claimed he did, niky explained what he said.

I would agree with the majority in saying that Alonso is naturally more talented than Kimi. It's evident in 2012-13 where Fernando won more races in a poorer car than Kimi's. In '13 IIRC Lotus gained more podiums than Ferrari so I've always felt that Kimi is fast when the car is good. He can't drag a bad car up to podiums like Alonso.

Even so, I still like Kimi more as he's probably the funniest F1 driver I've come across since Gerhard Berger.

I'm sure if Ferrari was a decent car Alonso wouldn't be always faster than Raikkonen. Alonso driving 2008 and 2009 crappy Renault and some bad Ferrari's in the last years has improved his skills with bad cars compared to Raikkonen who drove a balanced Lotus. The same thing apply to Ricciardo vs. Vettel. With these cars Ricciardo has the advantage to come from a mid group Toro Rosso without the same downforce / mechanical grip than last 4 years RB. Vettel this year is doing basically another sport.

Horrible cop out excuses. Kimi's not as good as Alonso in any respect, just get over it. I've spent so much time trying to deal with the Kimster brigade it's insane. You can like him for what he is, but do not try to present him as something he's not. I'll agree to disagree for now, but the rest of the season will give you a better argument as to why I'm right than anything I could ever say.

And the jab about Ricciardo only being better because he has more experience in bad cars is ridiculous as well. And Dan was faster in Silverstone YDT last year in the RB9 than Vettel, so there's that whole thing too. We get to hold on to that forever, last chance Dan had to drive and compare with Vettel in an EBD car and he pipped him. That tells me a lot.

Alonso driving 2008 and 2009 crappy Renault and some bad Ferrari's in the last years has improved his skills with bad cars compared to Raikkonen who drove a balanced Lotus. The same thing apply to Ricciardo vs. Vettel. With these cars Ricciardo has the advantage to come from a mid group Toro Rosso without the same downforce / mechanical grip than last 4 years RB. Vettel this year is doing basically another sport.

That's not how it works.

And the jab about Ricciardo only being better because he has more experience in bad cars is ridiculous as well. And Dan was faster in Silverstone YDT last year in the RB9 than Vettel, so there's that whole thing too. We get to hold on to that forever, last chance Dan had to drive and compare with Vettel in an EBD car and he pipped him. That tells me a lot.
If that's the case we have a 4 time world champ that won only because of the car even being a normal driver.
But he also won a race in Monza with a Toro Rosso back in the days so that mean something.
Where Ricciardo merits begin? Where Vettel limits begin? I'm not sure.
That said Ricciardo is obviously doing great on his own.

If that's the case we have a 4 time world champ that won only because of the car even being a normal driver.
But he also won a race in Monza with a Toro Rosso back in the days so that mean something.
Where Ricciardo merits begin? Where Vettel limits begin? I'm not sure.
That said Ricciardo is obviously doing great on his own.

But he did only win 4 World Championships because of the car. Practically every World Champion ever does as well.

Additionally, the only difference between Toro Rosso and Red Bull that year was the engine, therefore that means nothing at all. It was after than season that junior teams couldn't have identical cars.

I don't think Vettel struggling just because the massive drop off from EBD isn't a reason as well, i mean in his impressive years in Torro Rosso and the first year of Redbull they didn't have an EBD.

Its likely Ricciardo is More naturally Talented, i mean its half season now and the trend has stayed the same.

Very likely Vettel falls into the catagory of Button and Kimi where they can only perform at the elite level when the balance is at their optimum.

But he did only win 4 World Championships because of the car. Practically every World Champion ever does as well.

Additionally, the only difference between Toro Rosso and Red Bull that year was the engine, therefore that means nothing at all. It was after than season that junior teams couldn't have identical cars.
The Torro Rosso was actually better then the Redbull that year as the Ferrari engine was the best that year, Renault at the time like this year were down on power.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, I think Daniel is more able to take the Bull by the horns, Seb on the other hand is happier to have the Bull behaving itself.
Nando and Kimi have the same sort of relationship with a car. The former in each brand is more able to drive around a cars inability. This does not make them better or faster than the other, just more compliant with adjusting their preferred way of getting around a circuit.

IMO, I think Daniel is more able to take the Bull by the horns, Seb on the other hand is happier to have the Bull behaving itself.
Nando and Kimi have the same sort of relationship with a car. The former in each brand is more able to drive around a cars inability. This does not make them better or faster than the other, just more compliant with adjusting their preferred way of getting around a circuit.
That was my point. 👍

The former in each brand is more able to drive around a cars inability.

Or, as weird as it may sound, what is inability to one driver may not be it for the other. If the car has a natural tendency to understeer and driver #1 prefers an understeering car while driver #2 prefers oversteer it pretty much means that driver #2 is screwed for good, and vice versa with a tail happy car. In a perfect world the car can be set up for each driver's preferences but as we all know it simply doesn't happen.

Infographic time:

10487324_699533233447057_152609271318990807_n.png

Back