• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Australia
South of the South
GoldMineGutted
2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

... And so here it is; the first round of the 2014 Formula One season. 2014 brings in new technical regulations, with the 2.4 litre V8 engines being dropped for 1.6 litre turbocharged V6 engines which will integrate a much more powerful ERS (energy recovery system) than the previous KERS system. Due to the big changes, we head into the first event of the season following perhaps the most unpredictable pre-season testing ever.

With little idea of the pecking order throughout the field, most experts are tipping Mercedes, one of the few teams to actually have a successful lead up to the season, to trump the whole field. The Renault-powered teams will head into this event on the back foot, due to growing pains with their power plant, including winners of the last four drivers and constructors championships - Red Bull Racing. Expect to see the mid-field battle to be an action packed affair this year and with many of them retiring, we might see the back markers pick up some very lucky points.

As we usher in a new turbo era, a new Formula, this is the 2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix!

XEi9D9U.png

Event Details
Date: 14-16 March
Laps: 58
Circuit Length: 5.303 km
Lap Record: 1:24.125 - M Schumacher (2004)
2013 Winner: Kimi Räikkönen

Last edited:
Rolex took over as title sponsor last year, before that it was Qantas.
And not before time, too - Qantas is in serious financial trouble. The cost of the Grand Prix has always been a political football, but if they were associated with the race in their current state, it would become a nuclear football.

And not before time, too - Qantas is in serious financial trouble. The cost of the Grand Prix has always been a political football, but if they were associated with the race in their current state, it would become a nuclear football.

Damn, does that mean no low-slow QANTAS flypast before the race? I guess so :(

Damn, does that mean no low-slow QANTAS flypast before the race? I guess so :(
The situation isn't so bad that they couldn't spare an A380 for a fly-over. But they've been making record losses and just announced that they were cutting 5,000 jobs, so title sponsorship of the race is out of the question.

David Coulthard will be appearing on "The Project" on Friday night.

Shame it's Friday, though. Their Friday line-up isn't that great.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the sound of the new cars going flat out.

Also, chances of at least one engine going pop seem high, so there's that to be excited about. :)

Likewise have ticket next to me and ready to go.
Sadly last time I checked (this morning) the weather forecast for Sunday is 19 and rain, between 10 and 20mm.

I'm coincidently in Melbourne this weekend seeing the missus' family. Minimal (about 0.01%) chance of attending but I'm hoping to at least hear them racing around.

Haven't been this excited for a season in a long time, hopefully we have a good start to it!

Likewise have ticket next to me and ready to go.
Sadly last time I checked (this morning) the weather forecast for Sunday is 19 and rain, between 10 and 20mm.
The Daily Bailey - who hovers somewhere between upbeat and annoying, depending on who you talk to; I only call him that because I don't know his first name - reckons that the rain will only sweep through in the final few laps, if it falls during the race at all.

Oh and Mark Webber's joining the BBC team to make special "insights" videos during the season. So we could get a special one for the first race from him.

He's also joining Channel 10's coverage of the race, in the commentary box, should be awesome to hear! Hope I can find a way to get that broadcast later, should be hilarious.

Glad you started the thread @Cap'n Jack, it would be cool if people from each GP's country were the OPs of the race threads.

reckons that the rain will only sweep through in the final few laps, if it falls during the race at all.

I hope so, I was only going off the app on my phone which pulls it's info from the BOM.
Just checked again now and it's telling me possible shower with falls between 1-5mm :lol:, all to be taken with a grain of salt as the weather changes in Melbourne by the minute never mind trying to forecast days ahead.

Still my memory is full of trudging off last year on Saturday not seeing the Quali due to the rain, fingers crossed.

It will be one hell of a sign if it rains for the race and we had virtually no rain at all last year (Malaysia just a bit, and Spa just for qualifying). I'm so hyped up for this weekend, more so than I can ever remember, CAN'T WAIT.

Also, chances of at least one engine going pop seem high, so there's that to be excited about. :)

As long as it doesn't go Monaco-stylee, then yup. Was that Sato? Can't remember.

Saw David Coulthard saying that maybe up to half the field might not finish in Australia. That seems extreme but I'm sure there'll be more than one failure.

What a great way to spend my birthday. Qualifying early saturday morning, then meal with friends in the evening/night. Then watch the race in the pub on my actual birthday!

I will be up and ready for all three days of the action, reporting on it throughout.

I'm looking forward immensely to 2014 and with everything we have seen in pre-season testing, Australia is set to be one of the most defining, characteristic and most-of-all, exciting season openers we have seen in a long while. I'm not putting my money on anyone for a winner just yet, I'll wait until FP1.

Yup, rolls around every year.
Sadly it sometimes gets more press in the local rags than the race itself. I get tired of defending it every year. Melbourne has many other events that don't interest myself but that doesn't mean I want them stopped to the detriment of others even if it costs me as a taxpayer.

I'm coincidently in Melbourne this weekend seeing the missus' family. Minimal (about 0.01%) chance of attending but I'm hoping to at least hear them racing around.

Haven't been this excited for a season in a long time, hopefully we have a good start to it!

It will be broadcast from Friday, on Ten and ONE HD. All day Sat & Sun.

I have my ticket for Sat & Sun. I just get out of bed and walk 3 blocks to the track. First time missing Thursday and Friday and the early pit walk. I am glad to witness the pure sound of these new cars though. I'll be at The Erebus garage both days. Probably watching the race from their screens anyways. I want to check the other V8 teams between races as well.
I'm crazy hyped! This AGP may be the best ever. Just like V8s did last year, no one knows who will win the first race. It's open to anyone.

Formula 1 is going to madness. Rain or shine. I cant wait to be a part of this.

It will be broadcast from Friday, on Ten and ONE HD. All day Sat & Sun.

I have my ticket for Sat & Sun. I just get out of bed and walk 3 blocks to the track. First time missing Thursday and Friday and the early pit walk. I am glad to witness the pure sound of these new cars though. I'll be at The Erebus garage both days. Probably watching the race from their screens anyways. I want to check the other V8 teams between races as well.
I'm crazy hyped! This AGP may be the best ever. Just like V8s did last year, no one knows who will win the first race. It's open to anyone.

Formula 1 is going to madness. Rain or shine. I cant wait to be a part of this.

Probably will cross paths with you. I too will be there on Saturday and Sunday and around the Erebus pits.

Can't wait to get there! Always love the GP what with the F1, V8, Carrera Cup and what not all at the one place :D
Go Kimi!

Ditch 'em. F1's better and I heard them say they don't like you anyway.

Anyway, considering I made the race thread as soon as I could, it's needless to say that I cannot wait for this race! My legs get the shakes from excitement right before every race start usually, I'd imagine this year I'll be getting the shakes on Friday afternoon! :lol: It feels like it's really going to be something special this year. There's just so much suspense leading into this weekend, thanks to the big changes this year and I love it.

I really want to make a prediction, but I don't want to jinx it! :scared:

Back