2014 Round 3 - Nissan GT-R Black Edition @ Mount Panorama

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 298 comments
United Kingdom
London, UK
Shirrako
Round 3 seems a lot easier than the previous 2 rounds in GT ACADEMY 2014.

I managed to get the gold by putting ABS on 3 and everything else off.

It's almost certain that you will have trouble at first because the brakes of the car aren't exactly great. keep using the racing line on Bathurst at the highest possible speed and you will get a great lap time!

My favourite Round in GT ACADEMY 2014 so far, Bathurst is the best :)

Here's a quick video showing how i got my gold.

Post your gold times and let everyone know how to improve their lap times!

^^Loving your avatar, Rotary rules! Anyway, a quick question regarding the whole online aspect of GTA. I will presume at this point that the reward as per previous years will be the cars we have used through the various rounds. Do you have to gold everything? Only I can't even get to silver with the 370Z! Hoping I do better with the GTR!

I noticed that on my 8th lap the clouds cleared. Is dynamic weather on?

Update: I came back to this later in the evening to go for the gold and after several restarts it started out with clear skies. My first attempt in the wee morning was a single session of about 20 laps. Not sure what this is all about but it's welcomed. Oh and I golded this beast. Don't remember exactly, a 2:18:7**, DS3. If I can gold this I don't see what the issue is.

Last edited:
I seriously, SERIOUSLY hate this track! I cant even get a clean lap in :banghead: GT Academy is borderline ruined for me now!

Try setting ABS to 10? It sometimes acts as a stability aid as well...

Edit: Yep, definitely handles differently.

Last edited:
Yep, I figured that they would find a way to turn something cool and fun into a hassle. Although I didn't find it hard to gold this, it could have been so much better. Whats wrong with really racing properly, with decent tyres and brakes? Sure, the idea is to find the best drivers, but do nismo really send their drivers out in cars that handle like that? Doubt it. Why not lower the times and let us drive the car and track like it is meant to be driven, see who has the great lines at speed, rather than tip-toeing through a mine field . Anyways, enjoy it, its kind of fun.

2:17.254 second lap. DS3. No handbrake. Slow in. Fast out. Keep up momentum. Use your first instincts to avoid correcting your line.
4.5 seconds off the current top time. I had fun. That makes it 5, 003.7kms around The Mountain.

I had a feeling it might be this combo ;)

I managed to squeeze in 25 minutes this morning before going to work, and managed a 2:16.007. It was 8th place at the time, 15th just before I headed off to work, and it's currently down at 137th, though still 10th in the UK (today isn't a bank holiday so most of us have to go to work/school). Unsurprisingly, it looks like Australia is dominating at the moment; around 59 Australians in the top 250, 8 in the top 10.

It's really tricky to avoid touching the walls when driving at speed, and one tap invalidates the lap. It took me 10 minutes just to get a clean lap in at all!

Throttle control is really the only thing they can simulate quite well. So someone who can gingerly maneuver through a corner and get back on the gas .1 seconds faster every corner will be easier to train in real life.

I've never ever struggled with GT Academy before, or any race for that matter but these last 2 events have stumped me. Can't even get this car around the track let alone set any sort of time. I hate the way they set these cars up, I agree with the previous comment about having to tip toe around. Sports cars are just not like that and I will bet my life that the real GTR is nothing like that. GT's interpretation of these cars is not only an insult to Nissan but an insult to people who actually drive such cars for real. I'm done with it, getting frustrated with a game is not fun and the one thing a game should be, is fun.

^^Loving your avatar, Rotary rules!

haha agreed! :)

I tell you what, this is seriously p!ssing me off.... You touch the grass, touch the wall, go over the white line... that's it... Disqualified... I thought last round was frustrating to keep in the top 150... This takes the cake... Lack of grip does my head in! I want a car that turns! and this car does, but they put those 🤬 tyres on it.. again... Let me guess the final round will be the GT3 on Comfort Softs again? :S

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Didn't even manage the gold time this morning, but have no urge to go back to this round at all. Though probably will at some point as know a much better time is there for the taking, just need a clean, perfect lap.

Totally agree, when the track for it's majority is lined with walls, those are it's track edges! Can't remember watching the V8's at Bathurst before and seeing practically every lap by every driver disqualified because they straddled a line. This 'competition' is only of use to humans with the reactions of house flies and the patience of Mother Theresa.

haha agreed! :)

I tell you what, this is seriously p!ssing me off.... You touch the grass, touch the wall, go over the white line... that's it... Disqualified... I thought last round was frustrating to keep in the top 150... This takes the cake... Lack of grip does my head in! I want a car that turns! and this car does, but they put those 🤬 tyres on it.. again... Let me guess the final round will be the GT3 on Comfort Softs again? :S
We don't know the tires but we know the car/track combination:
2014 GT Academy Final Round Practice *Car & Track Revealed*
My guess is race hards or sports softs at worst. I'd rather sports softs because they certainly sound better and are much more predictable when losing grip but I'd bet on race hards.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a race car, therefore it should have race hards at the very least. As for this round, a GTR Black Edition on sports hard tyres? Yeah right, I used to run compounds like that on a puney 4 pot with 160bhp! GTR's have a far stickier compound than that. I guess GT is no longer the real driving simulator.

Well, personally I think the GTR has plenty of grip, flat out glued to the track. Never felt like I would want more grip.

One thing I don't like is you can "wall tap" and not invalidate the lap, I could really see this being exploited.

Should have been comfort soft for the GTR if PD wanted stock real life tire.

You do realize that even basic hot hatches run a hard sports type compound don't you? Comfort tyres are on basic dull cars like Vauxhall Vectra diesels and Toyota Aygo's. A GTR is a supercar and runs a soft sports type compound.

You do realize that even basic hot hatches run a hard sports type compound don't you? Comfort tyres are on basic dull cars like Vauxhall Vectra diesels and Toyota Aygo's. A GTR is a supercar and runs a soft sports type compound.

You have no idea what you are talking about, even Ferrari F40 should have comfort soft, and even with that tire, it's still quicker by a second at Tsukuba compared to real life lap time ( I have 2 F40s replicas with corrections in my garage ). I have built many real life car replicas, and I spent countless laps replicating lap times, and most of them are on comfort tires, only a handful of tuned cars needs sports medium or soft. The Acura NSX ( stock ) for example uses comfort hard to replicate real life lap at Laguna Seca, even with CH tire, it can be quicker by a few seconds in the hands of a good driver in GT6.

GT6 comfort tires are quite grippy, they are not like in GT5. Even a less than stock power - 215HP Lotus Esprit HC Turbo James Bond replica can do 1:08s at Tsukuba on comfort soft, definitely not possible in real life with street tires, it will need semi slick tires at least.

You have no idea what you are talking about, even Ferrari F40 should have comfort soft, and even with that tire, it's still quicker by a second at Tsukuba compared to real life lap time ( I have 2 F40s replicas with corrections in my garage ). I have built many real life car replicas, and I spent countless laps replicating lap times, and most of them are on comfort tires, only a handful of tuned cars needs sports medium or soft. The Acura NSX for example uses comfort hard to replicate real life lap at Laguna Seca, even with CH tire, it can be quicker by a few seconds in the hands of a good driver in GT6.

If you believe that a Ferrari F40 has comforts soft tyres then it is you that has no clue. Do some research before wasting your time on typing such utter, utter drive.

Back