2014 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Lewis' combined best sectors come out to 1:53.489.

But his pole lap was a mere 1:53.860.

Nico's combined best sectors come out to 1:54.252, and the first two of those came on that last lap, which is what put him 0.4 ahead of Lewis coming into the last sector. If he'd simply matched Lewis' third sector time, possible if he'd kept that pace instead of stuffing it by going Kamikaze, he'd have a 1:53.815 and the pole.

But he stuffed it, and he didn't.

More worrying for Nico is that, except for two-thirds of that last lap, he couldn't quite find the pace in qualifying, and during the race, he shot himself in the foot with that poor start. As said elsewhere, he's really got to get his head in the game to beat Lewis.

You're misinformed here, either you don't understand how qualifying works or you didn't read my post properly.

Rosberg was 4 tenths of a second up on Hamilton's 54.3 going into Sector 3 before messing up, he could have very easily ended up with a 53.8 or 53.9 had he not messed up. Hamilton's lap ended up as a 53.8 so yeah, he may not have beaten Lewis(not sure if there was much time to be made up in S3) but he certainly had a chance.

He would not have been behind Ricciardo however. There is absolutely no way that the Mercedes, which is 20kmh quicker than the Red Bull down the straight, would lose half a second to the Red Bull in the sector containing that straight.

But of course since I'm 'making things up', you won't bother actually reading this post thoroughly and disregard this as all made up so to suit my agenda.:rolleyes:

He was ahead at that moment but Lewis put an even faster lap in after Nico messed up.

IIRC Lewis was fastest in every sector, there's always next time BHRx.

There you go http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/917/7334/best_sector_times.html
He annihilated Nico's times and without making mistakes.
A quarter of a second is annihilation?

They weren't in the same lap anyway, Hamilton's best S1 and S2. Were they?

Lewis' combined best sectors come out to 1:53.489.

But his pole lap was a mere 1:53.860.

Nico's combined best sectors come out to 1:54.252, and the first two of those came on that last lap, which is what put him 0.4 ahead of Lewis coming into the last sector. If he'd simply matched Lewis' third sector time, possible if he'd kept that pace instead of stuffing it by going Kamikaze, he'd have a 1:53.815 and the pole.

But he stuffed it, and he didn't.

More worrying for Nico is that, except for two-thirds of that last lap, he couldn't quite find the pace in qualifying, and during the race, he shot himself in the foot with that poor start. As said elsewhere, he's really got to get his head in the game to beat Lewis.
That's what I said. So he got worked up in his first flying lap, and his telemetry failed him in the next one. Does that justify the fanboys saying "Hamilton was in a league of his own"?

He was ahead at that moment but Lewis put an even faster lap in after Nico messed up.
Yes. This has nothing to do with anything I said.

That's what I said. So he got worked up in his first flying lap, and his telemetry failed him in the next one. Does that justify the fanboys saying "Hamilton was in a league of his own"?

Note: I said: "except for those two-thirds of a lap."

The whole rest of qualifying, Lewis was ahead in all sessions over all the other laps.

He pushed too hard on the first lap and stuffed it. He was pushing harder on the second lap and eventually stuffed it because he got impatient pushed even harder. Even if he thought he was down on Lewis, he should have stayed on course to preserve P2.

Nico was overdriving the car. In that short snippet before the spin, you can see how fidgety it all looks, all the twitches and corrections. Now compare that to Hamilton's lap, where any corrections made were smooth and unflustered.

If Nico had to stay on the ragged edge just to get close to Lewis gliding along, then yes, that's domination.

Q3 is really illustrative. We get a few onboards of Nico, and his hands are really busy, and his braking is sloppy. He's chasing the car around, instead of making it follow him.

Contrast that to Vettel. Like Hamilton, his steering work is calm and collected. His only issue is his throttle-work (and that's where driving this year's car is different from the EBD car, which needed very strange, very specific throttle-work), and he loses the rear end once or twice, but he gets on top of it with little drama... just enough correction... and he still puts in a faster lap than Nico, who has issues getting the braking right.

Last edited:
Q3 is really illustrative. We get a few onboards of Nico, and his hands are really busy, and his braking is sloppy. He's chasing the car around, instead of making it follow him.

Contrast that to Vettel. His steering is calm, collected. Like Hamilton, his steering work is calm and collected. His only issue is his throttle-work (and that's where driving this year's car is different from the EBD car, which needed very strange, very specific throttle-work), and he loses the rear end once or twice, but he gets on top of it with little drama... just enough correction... and he still puts in a faster lap than Nico, who has issues getting the braking right.

Good analysis, Nico is clearly overdriving the car, hence the spin.

He said all weekend he wasn't comfortable with the brakes. Even on on the radio he got a message about putting new "race brakes" on or something. Despite that he was so close, if not faster on the race. Not even close to domination..

He said all weekend he wasn't comfortable with the brakes. Even on on the radio he got a message about putting new "race brakes" on or something. Despite that he was so close, if not faster on the race. Not even close to domination..

Hamilton had major issues in Practice 1, and had a lot of catching up to do leading up to qualifying.

Rosberg was nowhere near close in the race. Hamilton was up front and simply cruising. No need to waste fuel and stress an engine you're trying to make last for multiple races.

Hamilton had major issues in Practice 1, and had a lot of catching up to do leading up to qualifying.

Rosberg was nowhere near close in the race. Hamilton was up front and simply cruising. No need to waste fuel and stress an engine you're trying to make last for multiple races.

But, but.....

His engine is 1 race younger than Nico's, and he was in fact pushing. I saw nothing nothing hinting at "dominance" at China. Bad chain of events, some Rosberg's own fault and some aren't. That's all there is. I didn't even complain about anything until Samus defended that guy.

His engine is 1 race younger than Nico's, and he was in fact pushing. I saw nothing nothing hinting at "dominance" at China. Bad chain of events, some Rosberg's own fault and some aren't. That's all there is. I didn't even complain about anything until Samus defended that guy.

So again, where did he go wrong?

I'm not sure who Rosberg is kidding with the comment that he intends to keep the championship lead. The only reason he had it at all is a mechanical failure taking Lewis out in Australia. Lewis outperformed Nico in 100% of this season's races so far, and really should have won four of four had it not been for unreliability. Unless dumb luck helps him again, he is doomed to be overtaken and left behind by Lewis.

Nowhere does it say dominance, it says he outperformed him at every race. Granted it's a bit of a push to claim that for Melbourne, but you certainly could for the other three.

According to you, Nico deserved at least Bahrain.

If you've got a topic other than disliking a particular driver then hey, go with it, otherwise it just seems like you don't like Hamilton or that you over-favour Rosberg.

I've been surprised by how well Hamilton has outperformed Rosberg at the last couple of events in particular, @niky's analysis of Nico's driving at this race is particularly interesting in that respect.

If you've got a topic other than disliking a particular driver then hey, go with it, otherwise it just seems like you don't like Hamilton or that you over-favour Rosberg.
I didn't start this. I had little to say about this GP until

Doesn't matter what you think he deserved, even with help (Yes, help) from the safety car and better tyres he couldn't get the job done, Hamilton beat him and ergo outperformed him.
It's not me, it's you. Look:
Where has he gone wrong? With the exception of Bahrain when he challenged him Hamilton has had the edge on Rosberg in every race.
You asked me where he's gone wrong, and then you state an exception where he is wrong yourself in the same post. That's it. Let's move on please.

The exception wasn't that he was wrong, the exception was that he actually challenged him in the race. He was still beaten and essentially outperformed.

Latest Posts

Back