• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 164 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
608px-2014_Winter_Olympics_logo.svg.png

Seeing as the Olympic Flame was lit today, I think it is time to start a thread on the big event, which starts in 123 days. Much controversy has surrounded the tournament with anti-gay legislations put in place and the Olympic park is being converted into the first race track to host the Russian Grand Prix, whilst the stadium will host matches in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

The Olympic Flame was lit today on top of Mount Olympus. The 40,000 mile journey will take it all across Russia and beyond, as it visits places such as the International Space Station, the very bottom of the worlds deepest lake, Lake Baikal and the tallest mountain in Europe, Mount Elbrus.

Last edited:
Watching some photos and tweets from Sochi and realizing what a ****ing insane country I live in. :D:scared::crazy::boggled::lol:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry on those.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-their-hilarious-and-gross-hotel-experiences/

I also posted that in the Funny pics thread.
Translating fails in Sochi. :lol:
wAkGmWUOcCU.jpg

^This should be "Tongue in bun".

GAw44SHUyAc.jpg

^Nuff said. They cut the word "assortment". :D

Vl6eUdSrwCI.jpg

^This is Caucasus, a dangerous place. Tanks and guns are very common things there... But if you're a civilian, you can't use them both. Hey, get that AK off your T-90!
(This is a filling station. I'd translate this sign as "Before driving away, make sure there's no nozzle in your fuel tank cap")

Daym, these Olympics are going to be :censored:ing funny! :lol:
zD0AihL-MEM.jpg

cp_njeF0ohs.jpg

4O951ZYH4jE.jpg

^What's wrong? It's the Russian kvass delivered straight to your room! :sly:
nRoi7BKh3Hc.jpg

tuDR0GScYlI.jpg

qA31kF91nuQ.jpg

QpjOkHgsMuc.jpg

Aww I was going to start a Winter Olympics thread today, damn you Jimlaad43! :lol:

It should be good, Opening ceremony will be on BBC from 3.30pm tomorrow afternoon..

I only found out last week that Cool Runnings was based off a true story...

Also, the Jamaican bobsled team will miss practice due to their luggage being lost.

Looking forward to watching the opening ceremony tonight. I have always been a bigger fan of the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics, that is until we get Motorsports as a discipline in the Summer Olympics :dopey:

I'll be missing the event because I'll be in India racing but, just want to give a shout out to my mate who qualified for the US FreeSki team and will be competing in the US FreeSki Slopestyle event in it's inaugural year. He has gotten a Silver and Two Consecutive Golds at X Games so, He'll hopefully be competing for the Gold on the Olympics. Go Nick Goepper!

Really looking forward to the winter Olympics, so many cool sports! The opening ceremony should be pretty good, Russia has a deep history so they will probably have lots to show.

Ugh, I'm hating the local coverage and competition hasn't even begun yet. The media are already counting our medals. Didn't we learn anything from London?

Also, lousy commentary. The only thing on at the moment is the teams' figure skating programme, and the commentators have made the mistake of assuming the viewer knows as much as they do. The Canadian skater made a mistake of some kind late in his routine, which the commentators were quick to point out, saying there was "no leading edge on the landing" but did not bother to explain any of that, or why it was important.

You get a nice framed photograph of Putin at the hotel, nice touch :sly:

BfpHw6JIcAAdZzj.jpg

Could you imagine a grinning photo of David Cameron on the mantelpiece :lol:

Last edited:
The first mistake of the opening ceremony just popped up, there were five round lights that looked like they were supposed to expand to make the five rings symbol but one of the lights didn't expand, so we just got four lights making up a weird looking Olympic symbol...

I only really pay attention to it when the teams taking part make their way in...

...and here they come!

Is it me or is the bit before the teams start coming in (the 'show' bit) meant to be way longer than that?

There are rows of empty seats behind where the teams are coming from....are they supposed to be empty?, its unusual to see empty seats at an opening ceremony, normally the stadium is jam packed...

Is it me or is the bit before the teams start coming in (the 'show' bit) meant to be way longer than that?

I always remembered it to be a bit longer. I know exactly what you mean.

The part most people care about is the teams walking out though!

This stadium looks awesome lit up.

Just a bit. I'v only seen summer games openings mind.
Some singing and a couple dozen folk walking around with lights on their head to make up a flag was a pretty weak opening.

There are rows of empty seats behind where the teams are coming from....are they supposed to be empty?, its unusual to see empty seats at an opening ceremony, normally the stadium is jam packed...

With all of the people that are scared about the terrorist attack threats. I wouldn't be surprised if people decided not to go at the last minute. Looking at how bad the Village is as well, is there anywhere to even stay?

Yeah I was wondering whether they had been kept clear for a reason (because of the flag raising) or whether it was just because people (most likely sponsor allocated seats) didn't show up.

Kamuifanboy
I always remembered it to be a bit longer. I know exactly what you mean.

It might just be a winter olympics thing but I'm sure Vancouver's was longer. Would have thought it would be as long as a Summer one.

If you look closely you can see some of the seats being filled by people wearing the same outfit, so it must be the competitors, two other things ive noticed, that music they are using is bloody annoying and some of the female athletes are bloody gorgous!! :drool:

I was actually just about to praise that they are playing some awesome House music.

@MUSC4EVER Wait for the Japanese female athletes. Unfortunately asia generally doesn't have good looking female athletes lol.

Last edited:
Norway are the most successful nation in Winter Olympic history, and it population is just 5 million!!!

Well, not a good start for Russia. The stadium looks awesome lit up but, it's been a fail everywhere else. Most bored I've ever been watching a Olympic Opening Ceremony. Shame because the UK did an fantastic job with theirs. The athletes will give us something to cheer about at least.

The moving floor imagery with the ship and city layouts was pretty cool, so long as you were looking from directly above the stadium. Otherwise it looked like a bunch of guys walking around aimlessly.

EDIT: They sure didn't miss the chance to throw in some Trololo towards the end.

Last edited:
Back