2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 164 comments
The facilities at Bath are amazing, the Bath rugby team train there I think, various sprinters and other athletes. I got accepted into a Uni degree there, definitely should have gone!

The facilities at Bath are amazing, the Bath rugby team train there I think, various sprinters and other athletes. I got accepted into a Uni degree there, definitely should have gone!
Tut tut, i was going to do sport science but switch jobs.

So that's it then, watching the closing ceremony...

Fair to say its been an excellent games for team GB!...

DIDN'T OPEN THE FIRST
DIDN'T OPEN THE SECOND JUST FOR LULZ
6Yq8Z_fdHkk.jpg

Russians are the people who can laugh on their own fault. :sly:

Post deleted, an ill-thought rant about the Russian government.

What I should really have done is echo the Olympic Spirit and hope that those in power in Russia realise WHY the world finds the government there so hateful after a games full of peace and really bad British skating.

DIDN'T OPEN THE FIRST
DIDN'T OPEN THE SECOND JUST FOR LULZ
Got to be said, that was absolutely inspired!

I'm glad the Games were not overshadowed by politics or anything else... some very memorable moments.

hope that those in power in Russia realise WHY the world finds the government there so hateful
Honestly, I think the problem is with the rest of the world sometimes.

Take the "anti-gay laws" controversy - a lot of westerners expressed outrage at them, but nobody stopped and considered the cultural element. Russia is an extremely conservative country, and while homosexuality is tolerated, it is not accepted the way it is in other parts of the world. Those laws were introduced after two women kissed on the podium at an athletics championship in Moscow, which triggered a national outrage. Never mind that there is nothing about the freedom of sexual orientation in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (unless you subjectively interpret selected passages); the western world got carried away because Russia had a different position on homosexuality compared to them. They all claimed that Russia was stepping on the rights of a minority, but the alternative was to demand that two hundred million people put aside their culture for the sake of that minority. When did it become acceptable to protect the rights of the minority by quashing the majority? If one is unacceptable, then surely the other is just as bad.

Besides, there is no sport where being gay makes you a better or worse competitor, coach, judge or spectator than if you were straight. And all the laws really did was criminalise the discussion of homosexuality with people under the age of consent - which is pretty much illegal anywhere.

Honestly, I think the problem is with the rest of the world sometimes.

Take the "anti-gay laws" controversy - a lot of westerners expressed outrage at them, but nobody stopped and considered the cultural element.

Well, I travel there reasonably regularly and I don't find the people "in general" (I know, dangerous assumption) to be any different to anywhere else - i.e. hard working, mostly tolerant and sometimes mad.

The specifics of the law (translated for me, my Russian is nowhere near good enough) that are offensive are the parts that link underage sexual protection with anti-homosexuality. That's the part of the state's action that's the most worrying.

You also have to presume that 200 million people do, in the majority, 'oppose' or 'dislike' the idea of homosexuality. I've no idea if that's correct.

I guess my main problem with the law is that it's legislation to make a statement rather than to provide real social support or protection.

Well by far the most successful olympics for our small country ever. Slovenia got 8 medals which is more then we got on all olympic games since 92'. Leading in ''Citizens per Medal'' category by a big margin.

Have to say our small country was going crazy in the last three weeks!:)
Slo+Medals.PNG

Positive note for britain, funding is going up on winter Olympics. Its no loger a singe joke that we throw spare cash at, its getting summer olympic stature. If only we could do rowing and cycling on ice lol.

I would love to do the shooting events, i missing shooting .22 rifles. And skiing has always been something to do.

Leading in ''Citizens per Medal'' category by a big margin.
Norway leads that by a large margin. You guys nevertheless top this table because of a formula that takes into account average temperature and GDP per capita.

The average temperature numbers seem dubious though, with what Canada being only half a degree behind Poland and with Sweden being rated warmer than Germany.

Back