2015/16 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,443 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors are rife of Gerrard going to Celtic which I simply don't understand. Although he'd bring a great quality to the team he is a bit old and less likely to last 90 minutes. Plus, his wage would be astronomical.

I don't think he's particularly settled in the MLS and LA in particular. Robbie Keane is putting him in the shade as their cool, veteran European player. If he still wants to play, maybe he thinks he can pick up a paycheque in the SPL for not much effort. However, I don't think LA would want to give up on their investment so easily.

It's probably an attached rumour just because Brendan Rodgers is your new manager. I thought the two didn't like each other (or was that Benitez?) so it might not be true.

I don't think he's particularly settled in the MLS and LA in particular. Robbie Keane is putting him in the shade as their cool, veteran European player. If he still wants to play, maybe he thinks he can pick up a paycheque in the SPL for not much effort. However, I don't think LA would want to give up on their investment so easily.

It's probably an attached rumor just because Brendan Rodgers is your new manager. I thought the two didn't like each other (or was that Benitez?) so it might not be true.
Yeah, from what I understand it was Rodgers who froze him out the squad for a bit due to not being fit enough so definitely seems like a throwaway at the moment.

Plus, the intention is to build for Europe so if he was coming over to get an easy paycheck he'd be totally wrong - bringing in a PL level manager is as big a signal of intent as we've had since Martin O'Neill joined many moons ago. Personally, I don't think the current squad we have is too bad, there's a few areas worth improving but in general the team does have great potential. Deila just seemed to kill off any sort of aggression last season unfortunately.

It just goes to show what these players will try and get away with though, even in an average season we still made 2 semi-finals and won the league. Beaten easily in one by Ross County and then somehow managed to get to penalties in the other despite playing the worst game of football we had all year. Looking forward to seeing what Rodgers brings.

Liverpool sign Karius and Arsenal have signed Xhaka.

Not surprising but both deals are confirmed.

Mourinho to United done deal!

Big breaking news in the last 30 minutes, welcome to Manchester United Jose!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::D:D:D:D:D:D

To be honest, that's going to show just how far we have fallen. :ouch:

Can help but be happy to hear it though. :cheers:

CjZfybGW0AAWj-_.jpg

No announcement from United yet or any word on when the press conference will be, this has come from Jose's camp...

Mourinho to United done deal!

Big breaking news in the last 30 minutes, welcome to Manchester United Jose!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::D:D:D:D:D:D

Not only that, the rumours about Zlatan moving to Man U are getting stronger, and maybe just as important, Mourinho might throw a bag of money towards Madrid to get Benzema.

As a Chelsea fan, I'm not happy our Special One is now in Manchester :(

But if there is someone that can make the Devils great again, is him.

Very exciting times ahead!

Still a little worried about the lack of noise from United though, no announcement or anything, like I said the news today has come from Jose's camp, if I were United I'd want to scream the news from the rooftops!, hopefully we will get something from them tomorrow....

My prediction is that United will get a year or two of relative success but then quickly be in a worse mess than the last two seasons.

I'm sure most people know this. Most people I have canvassed have expressed the same opinion. In conversation with my best friend, who is a United fan;

"I don't like Jose as a manager though. He'd put a halt on the youth."
"He'd win stuff. What do United fans want, home-grown players or silverware?"
"Both."
"Choose one."
"Well it's silverware then, isn't it?"

For all this tosh about doing things "the <insert_club> way" (what exactly is the West Ham way?), Mourinho won't do things "the United way". He'll win things but not develop a youth team, something United have always been proud of. Of course you'd like to have both but the question is, when push comes to shove, would you rather have a full trophy cabinet or a team with youngsters that haven't won anything?

I thought United should have broken the bank to appoint him three years ago as Fergie's successor but their board is far too conservative on those matters.

D87EC5EA573F4C298C2D71E002143961.ashx

He was only appointed in December. :rolleyes:

27th May - Brian McDermott (Reading, sacked) Championship

Sackings: 53
Resignations: 7
Expirations: 2
Approaches: 7
Kicks Upstairs: 1

Total: 69

It might be easier to list the clubs who do still have the same manager they started the season with.

Leicester City - Claudio Ranieri
Arsenal - Arsene Wenger
Tottenham Hotspur - Mauricio Pochettino
Southampton - Ronald Koeman
West Ham United - Slavan Bilic
Stoke City - Mark Hughes
West Bromwich Albion - Tony Pulis
Crystal Palace - Alan Pardew
Bournemouth - Eddie Howe
Norwich City - Alex Neill

Burnley - Sean Dyche
Middlesbrough - Aitor Karanka
Brighton & Hove Albion - Chris Hughton
Hull City - Steve Bruce
Sheffield Wednesday - Carlos Carvahal
Ipwsich Town - Mick McCarthy
Birmingham City - Gary Rowett
Preston North End - Simon Grayson
Wolverhampton Wanderers - Kenny Jackett
Milton Keynes Dons - Karl Robinson

Wigan Athletic - Gary Caldwell
Millwall - Neil Harris
Bradford City - Phil Parkinson
Coventry City - Tony Mowbray
Gillingham - Justin Edinburgh
Rochdale - Keith Hill
Bury - David Flitcroft
Southend United - Phil Brown
Shrewsbury Town - Mickey Mellon
Crewe Alexandra - Steve Davis

Oxford United - Michael Appelby
Bristol Rovers - Darrell Clarke
Accrington Stanley - John Coleman
Plymouth - Derek Adams
Portsmouth - Paul Cook
Wimbledon - Neil Ardley
Carlisle United - Keith Curle
Mansfield Town - Adam Murray
Wycombe Wanderers - Gareth Ainsworth
Exeter City - Paul Tisdale
Barnet - Martin Allen
Morcambe - Jim Bentley

Which means the following clubs have seen a departure for one reason or another since the first matchday. Rotherham United set the unenviable record of 3 managerial changes in a season; Steve Evans quit, Neil Redfearn was sacked and Neil Warnock stepped down.

Manchester City - 1 departure
Manchester United - 1
Liverpool - 1
Chelsea - 1
Everton - 1
Swansea City - 1
Watford - 1
Sunderland - 1
Newcastle United - 1
Aston Villa - 2

Derby County - 1
Cardiff City - 1
Brentford - 2
Queens Park Rangers - 1
Leeds United - 1
Blackburn Rovers - 2
Nottingham Forest - 1
Reading - 2
Bristol City - 1
Huddersfield - 1
Fulham - 1
Rotherham United - 3
Charlton Athletic - 2
Bolton Wanderers - 1

Burton Albion - 1
Walsall - 1
Barnsley - 1
Scunthorpe United - 1
Sheffield United - 1
Port Vale - 1
Peterborough United - 1
Swindon Town - 2
Oldham Athletic - 1
Chesterfield - 1
Fleetwood Town - 1
Doncaster Rovers - 1
Blackpool - 1
Colchester United - 1

Northampton Town - 1
Leyton Orient - 2
Cambridge United - 1
Luton Town - 1
Hartlepool United - 1
Notts County - 2
Stevenage - 1
Yeovil Town - 1
Crawley Town - 1
Newport County - 1
York City - 1

Last edited:
@Liquid I'm not even sure that Jose could get them major silverware. I don't see any reason why they are in a better position than any of the other top clubs.

Realistically, for them to win a title, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are all going to have to fail.

-

Here's an article from John Giles giving his honest opinion on United.

I, for one, hope Jose is an absolute colossal failure.

Me too, don't have time for him.

So next season we have Ranieri, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, Bilic, Klopp and Conte managing in the premiership.
That's an amazing collection of managerial talent right there.

As an Arsenal fan my opinion on Jose should be fairly obvious, but he is a proven winner. I agree with what your mate said @Akmuq I'd take immediate success over potential future success so if he somehow replaced Wenger I wouldn't be too happy but I'd be optimistic.
My overall opinion is it's nice to have the pantomime villain back in the show, I like having someone to hate.

Realistically, for them to win a title, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are all going to have to fail.

Those clubs don't need to fail, United just have to be as good as them. That's entirely possible but it'll depend on whom he signs and whom he sells over the summer. A lot of deadwood does need sorting out at United.

It would be good to know which players Mourinho's own agent looks after.

So next season we have Ranieri, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, Bilic, Klopp and Conte managing in the premiership.

Not for long, around (because you can't halve seven) half of them will likely be sacked by this time next year.

Oh and @Liquid the West Ham way is fouling, cheating, general thuggery, bottle throwing, fighting and other similar things, all whilst being run by cleary dodgy owners and yet somehow mangaging to not look like that at all and to claim that they always play some really nice stuff and their fans are just really nice passionate blokes.

Last edited:
Not to forget Mazzarri, Karanka, Guidolin, Pochettino, Koeman - and possibly Carvalhal. And, depending on who they appoint, replacements for Martinez and Hiddink.

Not many English - or even British - managers there. 4 English (5 if it goes wrong today) and two Welsh. No Scottish managers, amazingly, as Norwich went down.

Incidentally, partly due to Norwich being relegated and partly due to West Ham moving, there are no Premier League clubs to the east of the Greenwich Meridian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back