2015 Dodge Challenger

• Thread starter Slash
  • 692 comments
As best I can tell, its about a 200lb weight penalty with the V8 and AWD on the Charger.

...Thing is, the V8 can only be had with AWD on the current car in police spec, as all the other AWD models use the V6. Yet another thing, the V8 and AWD is (so far) only attached to the old five-speed AutoStick automatic from the OG LX days, which certainly curbs some performance potential.

If the Challenger got the 6.4L, the eight speed Torqueflight, and the AWD system, that'd be a pretty slick combo. Even with the weight penalty, it's a package that isn't available on anything similar in size or performance. Maybe only the Audi S5 comes close?

This being a custom car, they could replace a few body panels with carbon fiber, racing seats, etc to offset the weight gain from the AWD. But a production car, hard to say.

mopar-2015-sema-lineup-008-1.jpg

mopar-2015-sema-lineup-009-1.jpg

mopar-2015-sema-lineup-011-1.jpg

Just what already porky Dodges need.. More weight.

Agreed overall, but considering its only 200 lbs, it isn't that bad.

This is the kind of move that, if they did it, would really shake up the market. The Challenger isn't going to be sporty unless it gets an all-new-chassis. May as well milk the American Grand Touring Car idea as long as they can.

I like it @YSSMAN put it best, the fact that they went AWD with this and expanded it more than just on that of a low level luxury sedan that really doesn't need it other than to fight further in that market. It's a cool idea and I wish they'd build it so it could potentially made others do it as well. Also like the widebody style that is modest and not over the top.

I too like @Leonidae@MFT was worried about the added weight of an AWD system though, for an already bloated GT car. My only slight disappointment is the power, 450hp and 455 ft/lb (?) is nice but I feel if they just used the 392 with some slight upgrades and did 500+ that'd be great.

My guess is that the AWD system can't handle much more than what's in the car already. Since the system got dropped off the R/T in 2013/2014, and now is only offered in the Pursuit trim for the police fleets, there likely isn't much development going on there, either. Although, using the 8-speed was a pleasant surprise. I had figured they'd have used the 5-speed like what's in the police models.

I'd be interested to know how many FCA thinks they'll sell each year. Starting around $35k, it seems like it'd be a great option compared to an A5 (assuming it is properly equipped out of the box), and certainly gives you some more daily driver credibility if you're in an area with bad weather. One of these with a set of Blizzaks would be a ton of fun once snow shows up.

I'd be interested to know how many FCA thinks they'll sell each year. Starting around $35k, it seems like it'd be a great option compared to an A5 (assuming it is properly equipped out of the box), and certainly gives you some more daily driver credibility if you're in an area with bad weather. One of these with a set of Blizzaks would be a ton of fun once snow shows up.

Being that it comes with SRT Performance Pages standard. this is the Top of the line V6

Alright, I like that they gave it a 4WD option. Though, I also sort of wished that there was a V8 option, but oh well.

a Model like the Concept car is coming as the Rumored Widebody Challenger ADR

That's fine, but the problem similar to that of the new Sentra Nismo, is you build a concept and get people interested on a vehicle of that exact or similar degree. If they come out with it great, but this probably should have just been called something else and saved the GT for the more extreme version.

Alright, I like that they gave it a 4WD option. Though, I also sort of wished that there was a V8 option, but oh well.

Agreed. It's disappointing when manufacturers whip up something that's a little off-beat and didn't think about using their more powerful engine(s) in the project.

That's fine, but the problem similar to that of the new Sentra Nismo, is you build a concept and get people interested on a vehicle of that exact or similar degree. If they come out with it great, but this probably should have just been called something else and saved the GT for the more extreme version.

FCA is giving us a 2 challenger from One Concept, a Widebody Model ADR and a AWD option for the v6. 2 from 1 and people complain.....smh

and another thing, Why would FCA use GT on something more extreme than a Hellcat?? #Logic

Dan
Agreed. It's disappointing when manufacturers whip up something that's a little off-beat and didn't think about using their more powerful engine(s) in the project.

you mean how Dodge is Creating a widebody challenger that will include 2 sets of DR's wider than the 275's standard on SRT's?? yea ok.

FCA is giving us a 2 challenger from One Concept, a Widebody Model ADR and a AWD option for the v6. 2 from 1 and people complain.....smh

and another thing, Why would FCA use GT on something more extreme than a Hellcat?? #Logic

How is it more extreme?

The GT was used in the original concept with a V8, with a new aero kit, and awd. So how is making the ADR any different and how is it "more extreme than a Hellcat"? As for the two from one, an optioned V6 two door coupe getting the AWD system seen in other V6 products from the same brand isn't anything amazing. And hardly can be attributed to the concept. Rather it seems to just be covering of bases and doing something not seen by others in the segment. I complain because it'd be quite annoying to see another make trump up a car and then give the interested something much less. If they in fact come out with the actual car comparable to the concept that'll be great.

I have a question? Is there a reason you go to bat for this company over and over through the years, at some point unrewarded loyalty must start to wane. and what @Dan said

Last edited:
Best thread for this? Not sure.

2019 updates for the Challenger Scat Pack and Hellcat, as well as the addition of the Hellcat Redeye. (who was in charge of that name? lol)

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/28/2019-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-redeye-demon-spawn-74992/

• Scat Pack now gets widebody extensions, wider rubber and a new hood.
  • Hellcat gets widebody extensions, new hood and power bump to 717hp
  • Addition of Hellcat Redeye adds features from the now extinct Demon and is rated at 797hp.

srt22-1.jpg

Add another one to the list.

2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Unveiled

• 6.4-liter HEMI V8 / 485 hp and 475 lb-ft
  • 8-speed automatic transmission
  • Class-exclusive TransBrake
  • Asymmetrical limited-slip
  • 41-spline rear axle half shafts
  • Adaptive damping suspension with a drag mode
  • Launch assist, launch control and line lock
  • 20-inch forged aluminum wheels wrapped in specially developed Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec tires
  • Only comes with a drivers seat, passenger option available for $1
  • 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds / quarter-mile in 11.7 @ 115 mph
fda2aa29-dodge-9.jpg

How easy is it to install/remove the passenger seat? I can picture a Challenger owner using that seat early in the day to drive someone around, then remove the seat and head to the drag strip later at night.

At least for the Demon, you sign a contract that you won't install a passenger seat if you choose not to have one from the dealership, presumably, because none of the safety equipment are there for the passenger either.

Back