2015 F-150 - First Drive Report

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Slash, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Slash

Slash Premium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-ford-f-series-pickup-f-150-aluminum/4421041/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/01/2015-ford-f-150-body-and-cabs-first-look.html

Styling wise I'm not the biggest fan, but I do think it's better than what's out now, but I must say, I think Ford has really come through, and brining all this at a price similar to the current model is a big step up. GM could really learn a thing or two. I do hope the 6.2L V8 will return, or least begin to offer a smaller diesel. I'm assuming these changes will also come to the Super Duty lineup at some point. The other thing I wish is that they'd shrink the damn thing. The tailgate is intersting though, it's like a blast from the past with the higher trim models from the 1980-1997 generations.

I do hope the aluminum is strong though. We don't another swiss cheese frame incident as seen in the 1980 and 1981 trucks. For those of you that don't know, the last time Ford redesigned the F-series in 1980 to increase economy and reduce weight, well, lets just say we don't need folding frames that buckle under load. Thankfully by 1982 that was reverted. That's my big worry right now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tornado

Tornado

I long for the days when trucks of this size didn't fall under unintentional self-parody. This looks even more atrociously overdone than the GM trucks.

Though I find it hilarious that GM made such a big deal about the all new Silverado and it is already irrelevant. I say bravo to Ford and (to a lesser extent) Chrysler for really pushing the market forward in that regard.

KinLM, DK, jtqmopar and 4 others like this.
  3. RocZX

RocZX Premium

It looks ugly!

[​IMG]

Swagger897 likes this.
  4. Slash

Slash Premium

More photos.

2015_Ford_F-150_05_620x408.jpg 2015_Ford_F-150_06_620x414.jpg

2015_Ford_F-150_08_620x413.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Patrick

Patrick Premium

When I look at the front I see a Tundra.

Not really digging it.

Swagger897 likes this.
  6. Sage Ages

Sage Ages Premium

Too 2015-ish.

Azure Flare likes this.
  7. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

:confused:

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but 90% of the comments on Autoblog love it so I think that's a good assessment for the general public's opinion. Impressive weight loss numbers though, wonder what the actual weight is.

8. Doodle

Doodle Premium

I think he means, it looks too futuristic.

9. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

10. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Buy a Super Duty then. :p

EF12345678, Custom878 and Slashfan like this.
  11. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

Multiple thoughts flying around in my head right now...

• Kudos to the Ford design team for taking a bold step forward in the style department. It looks different than what it replaces, which couldn't be said for the GMTs or however you want to classify the newest Ram
    • Even more kudos to the engineering team for lobbing off 700lbs while still making the frame stronger. Makes GM's weight savings of 200lbs rather funny, now.
    • Adding another EcoBoost V6 is a smart idea. The marketing is working, and for most people, the 2.7L will likely be more than enough.
    • All of that being said, I'm not impressed with the interior. Not in the slightest. The center stack looks ridiculous, and not entirely removed from the current generation trucks. If Ford wins on engineering, GM gets the nod on the interior. It just doesn't look right.
    • As bold of a move as it is... How will the general public take it? It's looking like GM has made the most-traditional moves out of everyone. Will the status quo hold, or will something like this change the market entirely?
    When it's all said and done, I think Ford will get a heavy congratulations from the automotive press, and maybe some initial "???" from the general public. They'll sell a bajillion of them, and it will force GM to bring out a heavily refreshed version of the Silverado/Sierra in two or so years.

Still, I've yet to see a case be made that I'd need anything more than the Colorado/Canyon. Those are still getting the major thumbs-up from me this year.

12. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Don't care for how the silver trim on the tailgate is shaped or the intrusion into the headlights, but other than that, it's ok...I guess. The interior looks like it got some really nice updates in it, though.

Swagger897 likes this.
  13. Slash

Slash Premium

The silver strip on the tailgate is a high end option. It won't be there on base models.

14. BKGlover

BKGlover

Just when I thought these couldn't get worse. Why does this look similar? Ohhh right...

[​IMG]

Except while this simply looked like someone based the design around a bulldog's face, this new F-150 simply takes this sub-par design, and merges it with a new Tundra rip-off.

Say what you will about the Rams, at least you can tell what it is immediately AND it's more creative than what GM keep shoving out, but both of them are vehicles I wouldn't mind being seen in, this and the Tundra both draw "WTF is this" reactions from me.

Swagger897 likes this.
  15. Zenith

Zenith

My think they barely managed to escape looking like an inflated Tonka Truck.

KinLM likes this.
  16. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

DK, AJHG1000, ildd and 2 others like this.
  17. Slash

Slash Premium

That video is so old :rolleyes:

18. niky

niky Moderator

Seven hundred pounds? Seven hundred pounds? If my calculations are correct, captain, that would make the base V6 around the same weight as the smaller Ford Ranger.

Not only does that render GM's entry irrelevant... that squashes the only reason to bring the Ranger to the United States.

KinLM, EF12345678, a6m5 and 2 others like this.
  19. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

But, but... how is Ford gonna compete with the Colorado and Canyon? :D

20. MHPALA

MHPALA

You think this is crazy? Wait till ford releases a new Superduty. It'll look even more crazy than the GM equivalent.

The interior is strong with this one.

21. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

Inb4 crazy-ass claims about what it can pull, like a bale of clydesdales.

22. Parker

Parker

Disappointed there still isn't a diesel available. If I were in the market for a truck that size, the Ram would be getting my business simply because of the diesel.

23. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

If you're going to haul heavy crap that you'd need a diesel for, you'd be better off with a bigger truck anyway.

EF12345678, Swagger897 and Slashfan like this.
  24. Parker

Parker

A small diesel would be fantastic in a truck this size or smaller. I have a one ton, dually Cummins that I use if I ever need to tow heavy but a diesel engine in something like this would be perfect for towing a smaller camper somewhere, loading the bed up with dirt or something like that. Hell, it would be great just for highway driving as well since diesels get much better fuel mileage than their gasoline counterparts, especially when towing.

You don't need to be towing or hauling anything to benefit from a diesel engine.

25. Adamgp

Adamgp Premium

Meh, not sure if I like it.

Good lord is it ugly.

The aluminum is nice, until you get a dent and have to repair it. Steel is cheaper and easier to repair, which also leads me to believe insurance costs will go up up up with this new model.

The ~700lbs weight loss is great, and everyone's laughing at GM for only a 200lb weight loss on their new trucks, but the GM twins were already 300-400lbs lighter than a comparable F150.

Still not sold on the Ecoboom engines. They just don't seem to be achieving Ford's claims for MPG or reliability.

I'd take a new Silverado any day.

26. MedigoFlame

MedigoFlame Premium

Seems like GM and Ford are going for the more beefy muscle look for their trucks. The last F-150 and Silverado seemed rather skinny in comparison to the Ram which was pretty much the pioneer for the whole masculine bulge look. I quite like it...more than the Silverado. The Atlas concept was pretty cool too. But living in Maine, I won't see too many since up here, it's Chevy country.

27. IforceV8

IforceV8

Based on this article http://www.fenderbender.com/FenderBender/January-2013/Reserved-for-Aluminum/ the Ford dealers with body shops cant be thrilled with this new truck.

28. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

On the plus side it won't rust, so if you ding it or scrape it there's less concern about it subsequently becoming a nasty-looking craggy hole after a few years. And eventually turning into @Slashfan's truck*.

* Sorry, had to be done :sly:

29. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

I'm wondering if its an average of 700 lbs across the board, or, that happens to be the biggest difference when comparing base trim 2.7L EcoBoost to this years 3.7L model.

30. DeathSmiles

DeathSmiles

[​IMG]

It looks best IMO, with the darker/matte grill. The chrome version shows how large the grill is and takes away from the decent lines around the lights.

Justin likes this.