2015 F-150 - First Drive Report

• Thread starter Slash
  • 348 comments
:cheers: If the nose is this big on the 150, then what the hell will it look like on the super duty?

Pfff.... What year do you have your ram? Mine is the 99 with the same I-6, but back in those days diesel killed gas in towing, but sucked at fuel. Diesel is getting so much better now that they are basically learning clean diesel all over from what they thought was clean. And some of the stuff that ram is putting out is top class. Whenever the 2500 gets the same chassis as the new 3500, heavy duty will for sure migrate to ram.

Mine is an intercooled '91 (so technically a '91.5) Cummins. You had a 24 valve in your '99 which was electronic, the '89-'98 (first half of '98) had the mechanically injected 12 valve engines which got much better fuel mileage empty than the later trucks. My dually generally gets right above 20mpg with mixed driving and can get low to mid 20's with purely highway driving. My brother and father both have '97 12 valve Cummins trucks as well and they both consistently see above 20mpg as well.

Also, I find it hilarious that someone thinks a truck has to have dents and scrapes all over it to be a truck. My truck is almost 23 years old and doesn't have a scrape or dent on it, not because it hasn't been used but because I (and the original owner, I'm the second) actually care about it and make sure I'm careful with it. I see newer trucks with their dually fenders ripped off all the time and I make damn sure that doesn't happen to my truck.

Also, I've driven a few of the Ecoboost F-150's and they are nothing to write home about. Empty they do great and a pretty damn quick but put a load behind them and they aren't even close to a diesel engine in terms of ability. If you never use your truck as a truck (which is fine, some people just like the style) an Ecoboost would be a decent engine (though they don't get nearly the mpg Ford claims) but for the person who wants to tow their camper, haul and things that don't warrant a heavier duty truck, a diesel engine would be better in every way.

Mine is an intercooled '91 (so technically a '91.5) Cummins. You had a 24 valve in your '99 which was electronic, the '89-'98 (first half of '98) had the mechanically injected 12 valve engines which got much better fuel mileage empty than the later trucks. My dually generally gets right above 20mpg with mixed driving and can get low to mid 20's with purely highway driving. My brother and father both have '97 12 valve Cummins trucks as well and they both consistently see above 20mpg as well.

Also, I find it hilarious that someone thinks a truck has to have dents and scrapes all over it to be a truck. My truck is almost 23 years old and doesn't have a scrape or dent on it, not because it hasn't been used but because I (and the original owner, I'm the second) actually care about it and make sure I'm careful with it. I see newer trucks with their dually fenders ripped off all the time and I make damn sure that doesn't happen to my truck.

Also, I've driven a few of the Ecoboost F-150's and they are nothing to write home about. Empty they do great and a pretty damn quick but put a load behind them and they aren't even close to a diesel engine in terms of ability. If you never use your truck as a truck (which is fine, some people just like the style) an Ecoboost would be a decent engine (though they don't get nearly the mpg Ford claims) but for the person who wants to tow their camper, haul and things that don't warrant a heavier duty truck, a diesel engine would be better in every way.
Well that's good to know a lot of ram owners still keep up on them. Mine is a white all around with chrome (wish I had pics) wheel options. My front "air diffusers" over the the front of the grille had a rock fly out of a "lorry" (for the sake of typing and it's sound) and through the diffuser. A nice hole as if it was a bullet so I ripped them off. Left o suction marks from the foam pads which still have yet to be scrubbed off. Has a few marks on the top of the tailgate from moving wood, but the bed itself is rubber lined.

I just wish I had the daytime running lights on the cab, and that's probably it. Only thing I purely hate about it is the drunken steering, 3rd gear (as it lasts from 43 mph to 45) and the placement of the oil filter. It's impossible almost not to spill anything trying to change it..

My neighbor just got a 1500 with the 5.7 and went to pittsburgh during the December winter storm. Held up amazingly and never had a problem. He used to own a 98 red 1500, and really enjoyed it. Only thing I don't like about the newer models is visibility past the downward curvature,as it seems the hood just keeps going and going and going..

The whole debacle with trucks and scrapes is a personal opinion. Me, I can't stand to see a car, truck, van, wagon not washed. I wax all my cars about once every month in my garage and have armor all in all of them in case i hit mud. I think at times I'd pay people to wash their cars.. But dings and scratches, I try not to hit people, or let people hit me, but when it happens it pisses me off but there's nothing really I can do. I'm not going to take the time to go to a shop or buy some tv ad to fix it. Not going to make an insurance claim or take it to the dealer. I'll take my pain and suffer though it.

But, what I can't stand is people driving trucks, just to drive trucks. I'm a bit of an Eco-nerd and like some German clean diesel engineering. But when you drive your daddy's lifted dually 3500 with 10" stacks out the back, and haven't worked a day in your life and think you are going to be able to upkeep that thing, on a McDonald's salary.. That's where the palm meets face. The whole wife drives the truck, husband in the corolla, husband brings the bacon home gets me too but that's nothing I can control, nor anything else really.

Eco-boost is a joke. Well, actually any truck that adverts they can reach 25mph on empty anyways is a joke. My neighbor with the new 5.7 barely hits 17 (both hwy and city[i know, I know, they advert the v-6]) and my other neighbor bought the Eco-boost and hits 21, about the same with my 15 year old diesel a whole class above.

Ohh you still can... Just look for the grilles with more chrome and taller wheel wells, sorta like Chevy and GM..

There's a reason I don't like GM trucks. At least with Dodge I know to expect them all to be the same just the 1500 being a more sporty and less aggressive truck but overall being the same body.

I remember a time when I could tell an f150 from the the other variants.
Yup.
Ohh you still can... Just look for the grilles with more chrome and taller wheel wells, sorta like Chevy and GM..

It's never really quite been that way. In fact, for a long time, Ford used light grey andnot chrome, but you need to know what parts were chrome and what weren't and what trim levels it was used on with certain options. Weird, but that's how they did it. Unlike the rest of the brands, they were always experimenting every year or so.

Whoever said these new trucks don't get their advertised MPG's, I agree. My grandfathers '11 Ram 5.7 gets about 12 and he always drives it empty but does do light work.

This looks like an F350 with a shorter bed and...other stuff...

Luckily this will be at the Houston Auto Show in 10 days, so i'll check it out... this is probably the first time I've ever been interested in looking at a pickup.

Yup.

It's never really quite been that way. In fact, for a long time, Ford used light grey andnot chrome, but you need to know what parts were chrome and what weren't and what trim levels it was used on with certain options. Weird, but that's how they did it. Unlike the rest of the brands, they were always experimenting every year or so.

Whoever said these new trucks don't get their advertised MPG's, I agree. My grandfathers '11 Ram 5.7 gets about 12 and he always drives it empty but does do light work.
That's what I meant, progressively they've added more and more unnecessary things..

And that's what really ticks me off about trucks. They don't want to acknowledge bigger issues like torque v mpg, but rather focus on the dimensions of the headlights, or add new sliding tie strap holders. Sure LED lights are cool, back in 2006. Now it's just a copy all from Audi and spreading like wildfire.

I want to see the next big car, project, innovation, thing, be huge. Like 4wd for cars huge in my life. The day we get a car that will have free energy, but still be badass will be the best of days. Now we are going towards cars that drive themselves and mobile phones in cars. Hell no, I don't want that, but maybe some do. I just want to be able to go to the track. Pay for entrance, lunch, and a new set of tires, all in a badass car that drives almost for free. If only Fisker made their karma a little more of a roadster type, I think it would've been a nail on the head. Soon tesla will start their third stage plan where they are going to produce on a massive scale to everyone, where you pay a yearly fee for their rapid charge stations...

Tesla will change cars as so did the same named man did with electricity..

When I look at the front I see a Tundra.

Yes...that, and Robin's mask.

I'm not impressed by most changes in the automotive world often, but 700 pounds is a staggering amount of weight loss, even for a light truck.

There's going to a massive investment in many body shops, since aluminum can't be repaired with the same tools and equipment, and requires an entirely different technique. Wonder how much insurance premiums are going to be affected for what's essentially America's most popular vehicle.

As far as I'm concerned, it's always been that way.
View attachment 99631

You might get away with that on a farm, but the moment you arrived on a public road, even a state without an official inspection process would stop you. Either that, or check for explosive residue.

Last edited:

You might get away with that on a farm, but the moment you arrived on a public road, even a state without an official inspection process would stop you. Either that, or check for explosive residue.

I have seen worse driving around Albuquerque to be honest. We have no state safety inspection.

Last edited:

I'm not impressed by most changes in the automotive world often, but 700 pounds is a staggering amount of weight loss, even for a light truck.

There's going to a massive investment in many body shops, since aluminum can't be repaired with the same tools and equipment, and requires an entirely different technique. Wonder how much insurance premiums are going to be affected for what's essentially America's most popular vehicle.

I've seen worse.... And I'm from Georgia, only 5 minutes from Alabama

As long as it passes safety inspection in my state, you can drive that where ever you like. All it requires is working seatbelts, functional brakes, no frame damage, and lights. Tah-dah, road legal.

Talk the talk, walk the walk. :rolleyes:

I might get pulled over, but if it's within spec they can't do anything. I've seen much, much worse drive down the road, trust me. Worst comes to worst they have a judge take a look at it, which will base his ruling on the same parameters I had to pass it by.

I'd be the one inspecting it and passing it as well.

Would I like to drive that? Hell no, I'd like something nice. But would I do it if I had no other choice? Sure thing.

As long as it passes safety inspection in my state, you can drive that where ever you like. All it requires is working seatbelts, functional brakes, no frame damage, and lights. Tah-dah, road legal.
Surprised it is that basic of a inspection since NY is pretty strict.

Surprised it is that basic of a inspection since NY is pretty strict.

It's the emissions that get you on the newer cars. 1996 and older only require a safety inspection, which is why you can do whatever you want to them. Hell, some cars don't even require reverse lights or seat belts (year depending).

There's a bit more than just that, but it's mostly obvious stuff.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm

Yeah... A lot of it consists of whether or not your car is considered legend, historic, nostalgic, or any other terms states use to describe a certain age of a car..

It's the emissions that get you on the newer cars. 1996 and older only require a safety inspection, which is why you can do whatever you want to them. Hell, some cars don't even require reverse lights or seat belts (year depending).

There's a bit more than just that, but it's mostly obvious stuff.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm

Emissions test is required for cars 25 or newer.Anything older then 1995 only require a visual inspection.

And I highly doubt that truck would pass NY safety test, few things I can see in the pic that are wrong- turn signals are broken windshield is broken, the hood latch is broken and there an air pipe coming out of the hood which is not making the hood close.

You wish it was that easy. That truck you posted wouldn't pass inspection in any state & would be pulled over as a road hazard to yourself & others. :rolleyes:

You wish it was that easy. That truck you posted wouldn't pass inspection in any state & would be pulled over as a road hazard to yourself & others. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure I'm authorized to perform said inspections. But what do I know.

I'm pretty sure I'm authorized to perform said inspections. But what do I know.
Apparently not as much as you think as your state's laws shows just a few violations through the DMV's guidelines alone.

DMV
Mirrors - Every vehicle must be equipped with a mirror or other reflecting device, adjusted so the operator has a clear and full view of the road and conditions of traffic behind the vehicle. 1968 or newer models must have an adjustable left side-view mirror. All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors. 1991 and newer models require day/night mirrors.

Bumpers - On the front and rear, each must be securely fastened with some part of the bumper located between 16” and 20” above the ground. The bumpers provide protection against damage affecting front or rear external lamps, body parts, and vehicle occupants during low-speed impacts. This provision does not apply to a vehicle registered as an historical vehicle.

Hazard Warning Signals -
Required on 1966 and newer models. This device lets the operator flash the two front and two rear directional signals simultaneously.
There is a follow up on the color guidelines of the lights required, but since that POS posted earlier has no lights beyond some jacked up headlamps, I see no point.

Just skimming through Article 9 of your state's laws seems to point at even more violations. Your state inspection doesn't guarantee you as being road legal alone.

Is it just me or those truck get bigger and bigger each generation?

The tenth generation F-150 is about the same size of the ninth gen F-250 XL, and I can note that until the seventh/sixth gen

Also, that one looks as ugly as... hey, there's nothing uglier than that :ouch:
But it looks acceptable with the dark grill

Nope, not just you. I parked at work and had a Tundra, current F-150, and 06 Ram around me, and the Tundra was almost the same size as my 97 F-250.

Just when I thought these couldn't get worse. Why does this look similar? Ohhh right...

2008_Ford_F-250.jpg

Except while this simply looked like someone based the design around a bulldog's face, this new F-150 simply takes this sub-par design, and merges it with a new Tundra rip-off.

Say what you will about the Rams, at least you can tell what it is immediately AND it's more creative than what GM keep shoving out, but both of them are vehicles I wouldn't mind being seen in, this and the Tundra both draw "WTF is this" reactions from me.
All the trucks have a family relation but last year's Atlas concept was basically a direct design study for the new F150.

Ford-Atlas-Concept-Front.jpg

Overall, I like this new F150 much better than the GM trucks. Somehow, this doesn't look as cartoonishly large. It doesn't look any bigger than the current trucks, whereas the GMs already look HD-sized. I think it has to do with the fact that the front isn't just literally a flat upright sheet of plywood and it streamlined around the edges. It also looks smaller than the Toyota Tundra, probably because everything is smaller than the Tundra.

The Ram is still the most elegant looking of all the trucks, probably my favorite. It doesn't look hilariously big either despite the fact that it is just like the rest.

Last edited:
God that thing could fit my AE86 in the bed! I've never been a trucker guy, but at least it looks better than the older one...if it weren't so freaking big I wouldn't mind them as much.

Back