2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by LMSCorvetteGT2, Dec 28, 2014.

1. AJ

AJ Premium

Some basic info that is widely available;

- Tag Heuer is not TAG Group.

- TAG (Techniques d'Avant Garde) is Mansour Ojjeh's company.
    - He is a long time shareholder of McLaren.
    - Main businesses are corporate investments and aviation services.
    - Bought Heuer in the 80s and turned the company around under the new name of Tag Heuer. Sold it in 2000(?) to Louis Vuitton.
    - Funded (but critically has no role in) the development of a Porsche engine for McLaren.

- Tag Heuer is not a new engine manufacturer, this is just 'badge engineering', as is the proposed Aston Martin (Mercedes) deal with SFI.

- Ojjeh/TAG is rumoured to be looking to sell his shares in McLaren. What that might or might not lead to is anyone's guess.

2. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Franz Toast has confirmed the engine deal between Ferrari and Torro Rosso.

Hilarious if it turns out that the 2015~ish Ferrari is faster and more reliable than the 2016 Tag Renault Ilmore whatever is going into the RBR.

3. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

I think it's called the Tag Ilmor Renault Development, or "TIRD".

Thank you. In other news the moon orbits the Earth and elephants knees all face forward ;)

GTPorsche and catamount39 like this.
  4. catamount39

catamount39

So the engine is going to be a turd? :p That's not a promising name...

5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

I may have made that up for a joke... :D

Northstar and catamount39 like this.
  6. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I thought McLaren blocked the Honda deal?

:p

TenEightyOne and catamount39 like this.
  7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

After McLaren-Gate some years ago it was noted by Pat Symonds that "espionage" goes on all the time; most of all because you can't empty an engineer's brain when he/she moves teams.

However, in this day and age you can see what they were doing on their computer before they left for Ferrari. Mercedes are suing a PU engineer for data theft with some pretty specific allegations. BBC, Bloomberg.

8. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Wait, where does Ilmor come into the Enstone team's engines? Are they Renaults or are they not? I was under the impression that Ilmor dissipated into Mercedes-Benz AMG High Performance Engines. Or has the established-in-2005 Mario Illien company that did the bike and IndyCar engines decided to return to F1? I was under the impression that even that new Ilmor company was working with Honda.

9. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

No, you Daily Mail enthusiast.

:lol:

TenEightyOne likes this.
  10. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Ilmor was amalgamated into Mercedes AMG as you say, Illien started a new concern which he also called Ilmor with the addition of "Sporting Development", or so I recall.

EDIT: I was close-ish... they were bought out by MB piece by piece and then renamed. Ilmor Engineering Ltd. was then reformed as a new company. Wiki.

11. Liquid

Liquid Premium

@TenEightyOne But elucidate me. What is new Ilmor's relationship to Enstone-Renault? I've seen it discussed on the page but I've been very out of the loop on F1 news recently.

12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It's unclear, but significant enough that it convinced Red Bull to revisit the idea of using Renault engines.

13. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Back in Feb 2015 Renault hired the services of Mario Illien who had notably had success with the former "Ilmor" that became the works Mercs engine builder. How exactly the division between an Ilmor-supported Renault engine and the works Renault engine falls is, as already noted

14. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Probably nothing to go on, but...

15. catamount39

catamount39

That's the ex-Marussia showcar right?

16. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The important thing is that it's not a toaster.

17. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

I just hope that's not going to be the final placement style for the Haas logo. It's rather... large.

18. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

It's not far off.

In other news... teams have until Christmas to pick their tyres for the Australian GP. More explanation of the rules here (we've seen it before but this was the first time I got my thick head around it :) ).

19. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

In what sense is it "not far off"?

20. catamount39

catamount39

Marussia.

21. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Still don't see it, they built and in unison with Ferrari if 2015 claims are to be believed, thus the car isn't known by any of us. It's nice to poke fun for the sake of what the popular majority do, but in reality why do such if you just don't know the capabilities. Obviously Ferrari feel the resources this team brings as a technical partner is quit valuable so in that reasoning alone, I'd suspect they're not a group one should so easily doubt. At least not on the level of the three that came in 2010.

22. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

2016 thread is up since 2015 season is over, so please post in there.

23. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Good morning Mr. No Coffee.

In truth the Marussia is far, far removed from a toaster... please accept my apology :D

We were referring to the car in the picture which is a Marussia repainted as a "show car" ;)

24. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I figured you were I just didn't want to assume it outright and was just waiting for you to say it :sly:, no coffee needed but I'll take some flu medicine or cough syrup.

TenEightyOne likes this.