2015 Ford Mustang - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 6,247 comments
I want that GT350 now! :drool::eek:

@Omnis: I would show this to my father as well, but he along with my family and I are looking into a Charger RT (I'll see about the SRT 392 as a upgrade ;))at the moment so I think I'll keep the Mustang on the side until later... unless...💡 :lol:
;)

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it weird that, if you search for "Mustang GT500" on google, there are links directly to the Ford website for "2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500"? Or is it just a clever bait and switch? Both links just send you to the current Mustang page, though the URL still says "cars/mustang/trim/shelbygt500". :odd:

Not really. Probably preparing it for launch and it shows up in the metadata.

Drove this a few days back. Thought I'd relay my experiences:

sutton-mustang.jpg

Basically a near-enough 700 horsepower, supercharged GT tuned by a UK firm. Automatic transmission, which I presume is because the manual isn't designed to handle that much torque. But given the torque converter slipping, the cloud of smoke out the back and the check engine light that happened during my drive, I'm not sure the auto can either. One day, a tuner will build a car that isn't wholly incapable of accepting the power they throw at it.

Anyway, when it wasn't being broken (the light did extinguish after a bit but it knocks your confidence in the car's ability to handle full throttle) it was pretty damn rapid. Feels no faster than stock up to about 4k rpm at which point it goes mental, accompanied by a louder-than-standard exhaust and lots of supercharger whine.

Honestly though I prefer the standard GT with a manual. Straight line speed is fun but then with 400bhp the regular car is hardly slow, and it's definitely better with the manual transmission (the 'Stang has a really satisfying manual 'box).

Would probably take the uprated suspension, the wheels and the body kit though - while I'm not sold on the yellow, the general look of it is absolutely fantastic.

It makes you wonder why not bite the bullet and put a Viper Spec T-56, or 4L80e behind it if you have to go auto. Adapter plates are nothing new, just need to get the ecm on board with it.

But then again, that would probably be too hard for someone wanting to throw parts out of a catalog at it like most so called tuners do. And that only solves one of many issues I see.

It makes you wonder why not bite the bullet and put a Viper Spec T-56, or 4L80e behind it if you have to go auto. Adapter plates are nothing new, just need to get the ecm on board with it.

I believe the TR-3160 in the GT350 is more or less a successor to the T-56 (which was replaced by the T-6060), while the MT82 that's in the standard GT is pretty much a unique unit between Getrag and Ford. I wouldn't think that it would be too fragile given the power the Coyote makes, but it isn't exactly like Ford has the reputation that GM does with transmissions.

But then again, that would probably be too hard for someone wanting to throw parts out of a catalog at it like most so called tuners do. And that only solves one of many issues I see.
4L80E would be the worst idea possible unless it was extremely built.

4L80E would be the worst idea possible unless it was extremely built.

I think you are confusing the 4L60 with the 4L80. The 80 is very heavy though, usually only seen in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The 4L80 is regarded as being nearly indestructible behind built up big blocks so it is plenty up to the task of a boosted Coyote. The 60 would need some work, but nothing drastic even then.

Maybe a built up 4R70w would be better to keep it all Henry?

I think you are confusing the 4L60 with the 4L80. The 80 is very heavy though, usually only seen in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The 4L80 is regarded as being nearly indestructible behind built up big blocks so it is plenty up to the task of a boosted Coyote. The 60 would need some work, but nothing drastic even then.

Maybe a built up 4R70w would be better to keep it all Henry?
Both the E trans aren't anything special. If the C6 wasn't so short geared I'd say go with that. The TH400 is way better than both of the Es. 4R70Ws are junk too.

But the 80 is pretty much a Turbo 400 with a .75 overdrive. Nothing is truly unbreakable except the Powerglide, or an Eaton Fuller 10 speed if you want to be absolutely sure you can't break it.

On topic, I sat in a '16 Mustang GT premium last month when I picked up a new Fiesta company car. I didn't think I would like it as much as the previous car, I was wrong. I am really coming around to the looks.

Edit: phone hates me.

So, Ford performance released power packs for Mustang GT. Basically they offer Voodoo's parts for the Coyote, which ups the power to 480ish horses. Now, if only they'd do the same for the Ecoboost..

A cabrio V8 with those parts would be my choice. For the three days a year we get sun in Plymouth, I'd have plenty of fun listening to the V8 do its thing.

View attachment 571422

Mustang for the new Transformers movie. Yayyyyyyy. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to lie though, I wouldn't mind getting pulled over by that thing.

And it still looks better than Mr. Bumblebee Camaro, which simply looks wrong. Take that, GM (and yet I am a Chevrolet fan)...

Sure, it's going to be used in the way only Michael Bay knows how, but it does looks rather badass.

So, Ford performance released power packs for Mustang GT. Basically they offer Voodoo's parts for the Coyote, which ups the power to 480ish horses. Now, if only they'd do the same for the Ecoboost..

Good luck getting them to already up the power on what they claim is pushing the limits without redoing the motor, and then expecting them to warranty it.

Good luck getting them to already up the power on what they claim is pushing the limits without redoing the motor, and then expecting them to warranty it.
Funnily enough, tuners have gotten up to 550bhp with basic bolt-ons and ECU as well has higher grade fuel. Also, after swapping wideband sensors and bigger turbo, they've gotten up to 750bhp out of it. And don't even get me started on the fact that Focus RS has same motor with larger turbo, making more power and torque..

Funnily enough, tuners have gotten up to 550bhp with basic bolt-ons and ECU as well has higher grade fuel. Also, after swapping wideband sensors and bigger turbo, they've gotten up to 750bhp out of it. And don't even get me started on the fact that Focus RS has same motor with larger turbo, making more power and torque..

Yeah I know that, but what tuners do and what Ford does, are two different things. Ford one doesn't want to push the engine further because they have plans to do it anyways in another trim. Which wouldn't be hard with simple changes to the ECU, injectors, intercooler size, and so on. Second to offer a package that gets close to those numbers as a performance kit would require them to warranty it, which they may not want to do because it could break. Just because it works for the first 200 miles or so doesn't mean it will last. Factories are doing this work on newer cars without any long term results known, it may never break or it might after 50 or so hard miles.

Yeah I know that, but what tuners do and what Ford does, are two different things. Ford one doesn't want to push the engine further because they have plans to do it anyways in another trim. Which wouldn't be hard with simple changes to the ECU, injectors, intercooler size, and so on. Second to offer a package that gets close to those numbers as a performance kit would require them to warranty it, which they may not want to do because it could break. Just because it works for the first 200 miles or so doesn't mean it will last. Factories are doing this work on newer cars without any long term results known, it may never break or it might after 50 or so hard miles.

Another trim? What another trim? They already have the regular and premium trim and so far there has been no signs of Ford planning third trim level for the Ecoboost. And why would the warranty be an issue since they're now doing it for the V8?

Another trim? What another trim? They already have the regular and premium trim and so far there has been no signs of Ford planning third trim level for the Ecoboost. And why would the warranty be an issue since they're now doing it for the V8?

Ford are planning another trim as far as the Focus is concerned, meaning that if they were to give a performance package it would only be after. There have been plenty of instances where performance cars from the dealer have clauses to void the warranty if certain things are done. Warranties already go void if you do performance work outside of ford, and even catalog parts (Ford's not very big on them) can void the warranty.

VXR
Plus, you can get Mountune upgrades on euro EcoBoost engines, with warranty.

Mountune warranty and Ford Warranty are two different things, I'd rather have the manufacture one. So unless it's from Ford or you don't care, why mess with it. For example, when the SRT-4 came out from Dodge, you could through their parts catalouge get staged setups for more power. The moment you decided to go stage 2 though, Dodge would no longer warranty your car. They informed owners of this before purchasing and getting the work done.

Same with the Cobalt from Chevy when you decided to go to a bigger pulley or more, from what I found out from owners of the Supercharged version.

Back