2015 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

I don't know.

Unfortuantely Marchionne is famous for blaming other people for his own failures.
He is also well known for being stingy, Bottas will be cheaper than Kimi.
Kimi has the speed to beat Sebastian IMO. Just needs to start making his own luck, sooner rather than later.
Anyway, breaking news according to Sky Sport News!
tumblr_nr0s5vR2mz1s0dbnko1_1280.jpg
Reminds me of this:

Kimi was ahead of Vettel for most of the race. The only reason the results don't reflect it is due to his team taking an unnecessary tire gamble.

The only reason the results don't reflect it is due to his team taking an unnecessary tire gamble.

How so? You think he'd have been better putting slicks on? I didn't see it as a gamble, it was exactly the right choice. Vettel came out better because he got another four laps out of his set and therefore didn't go through a dry-burn period with his inters.

How so? You think he'd have been better putting slicks on? I didn't see it as a gamble, it was exactly the right choice. Vettel came out better because he got another four laps out of his set and therefore didn't go through a dry-burn period with his inters.
Considering Kimi was lapping slower on the inters than the rest of the field was lapping on the slicks, yes. Then the tires go through the burn off and he ends up spinning because of it, prompting him to need to pit a second time for new inters. Yes, Ferrari took a chance, but they went to inters too soon for it to be an advantage for Kimi.

The thing with Bottas is that there seldom is any drama. He just quietly brings the car to finish very close to its potential that day. No crashes, not even close calls. Just a job very well done but nothing spectacular. In a word: Habile.

And finally a point for Alonso 👍

I don't recall Williams being 1 and 2 for the first 20 laps of every other race.

I did though go on to say

Good start by rival teams but Mercedes battle to the front with Lewis leading and a very cheesed off Nico Rosberg in 2nd.

Didn't mention specifically Williams by name. Just a 'rival team'. The point of my post was very much an overall one. On the whole it seems to me after a little bit of good racing from another team the balance inevitably falls back in favour of Mercedes who go on to dominate. Though I have noticed looking through the results so far it is Williams (mainly Bottas) and Ferrari who finish just behind Mercedes - apart from Monaco. And I struggle to see how that is anything other than repetitive.

But like I say there must be something you see in F1 that is still worth tuning in to. Please salvage a crumb of faith and tell me what that is because it is hard for me to be convinced.

tell me what that is because it is hard for me to be convinced.

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat?

It's not perfect, but it's still better than the no tire change season, better than the Trulli train, and better than four seasons of Vettel being unbeatable by everyone, including his team-mate.

All we can do is hope that the other teams catch up next season... or that they relax token restrictions for the losing teams, to even out the field.

Just looked at the standings, would I be right in saying that nobody in the top 7 has retired due to a mechanical problem yet?

I did though go on to say

Didn't mention specifically Williams by name. Just a 'rival team'. The point of my post was very much an overall one. On the whole it seems to me after a little bit of good racing from another team the balance inevitably falls back in favour of Mercedes who go on to dominate. Though I have noticed looking through the results so far it is Williams (mainly Bottas) and Ferrari who finish just behind Mercedes - apart from Monaco. And I struggle to see how that is anything other than repetitive.

But like I say there must be something you see in F1 that is still worth tuning in to. Please salvage a crumb of faith and tell me what that is because it is hard for me to be convinced.
So you mean the result was a carbon copy of the previous races?

However, the way they got there was anything but. Apart from Malyasia, the 2 Mercs have never been headed for anything other than a couple of laps over pitstops, but here Williams led for the first 20 laps. This race was not the same as the others.

But then normalised for all the points systems, Hamilton has the 5th highest points per start score of any driver in the history of ever. The only current driver who is anywhere close to that is Vettel...

That is somewhat meaningless though as it doesn't account for how good a car they've had during their career. Hamilton has been very lucky in that his team have finished in the top 3 in the constructors championship for 8 out of the 9 seasons he's done. (Including this season)

That is somewhat meaningless though as it doesn't account for how good a car they've had during their career. Hamilton has been very lucky in that his team have finished in the top 3 in the constructors championship for 8 out of the 9 seasons he's done. (Including this season)
Turns out that drivers who are good get recruited by good teams and score good points for them, putting the cars at the top of the constructors' championships...

Other top 10 drivers include Michael Schumacher who drove 15 top 3 cars in 19 seasons (the other 4 were 4th, 4th, 4th and, in his last season, 5th), Alain Prost who drove 12 top 3 cars from 13 seasons and I'm sure if Juan Manuel Fangio, Nino Farina or Alberto Ascari had been driving a constructors' championship too, they'd have been exclusively in top 3 cars...

Turns out that drivers who are good get recruited by good teams and score good points for them, putting the cars at the top of the constructors' championships...

Other top 10 drivers include Michael Schumacher who drove 15 top 3 cars in 19 seasons (the other 4 were 4th, 4th, 4th and, in his last season, 5th), Alain Prost who drove 12 top 3 cars from 13 seasons and I'm sure if Juan Manuel Fangio, Nino Farina or Alberto Ascari had been driving a constructors' championship too, they'd have been exclusively in top 3 cars...
At the end of the day if you can score close to Alonso the driver who won the last 2 years running your deserved your seat no matter how the regular path for rookies is.

He made his own luck by being so good. If you look at whole grid, Nico Rosberg seems one of the best. This year he is losing 8-1 in qualifying battle and Michael considered him his strongest teammate. Lewis did also manage to win WDC without team winning WCC which is rare. Fernando Alonso also considers Lewis the strongest. Nico Rosberg relishes the challenge and can't think of a better teammate. There is also high praise by Jenson Button. He can't be too bad if his colleagues think so highly of him...

Hamilton's donut from Stowe yesterday

Wow, the crowd is so much louder than the car, more so than I expected, even though he wasn't quite reving it high or anything. That was the only thing I was missing from the race, the exciting sounds! I know the point has been beat to death 10X over at this point, but the cars do not produce particularly exciting sounds. Interesting, yes, but the volume is still too low, even though they apparently are louder this season. I remember thinking that in the back of my mind, not just this race but all of them.

Also, I realize it was wet, but that still wasn't much of a burnout :lol:. Another thing I was thinking was, how much of a burnout can drivers afford to do when they still have to have that 1 kilo left for examination as per the regulations. They certainly always cut it extremely close I imagine, so burnouts are always risky in that matter.

Also, I realize it was wet, but that still wasn't much of a burnout :lol:.
He doesn't want to break anything with only 4 power units for the season.
Another thing I was thinking was, how much of a burnout can drivers afford to do when they still have to have that 1 kilo left for examination as per the regulations. They certainly always cut it extremely close I imagine, so burnouts are always risky in that matter.
I don't think the amount of fuel you have matters at the end of a race, just qualifying unless it's changed in the last couple of years.

What does carbon fiber feel like? Anything special or is it pretty bland? Granted, paint will skew the sensation, so maybe I shouldn't even ask. You have gloves on anyway...

What does carbon fiber feel like? Anything special or is it pretty bland? Granted, paint will skew the sensation, so maybe I shouldn't even ask. You have gloves on anyway...
It just feels like metal in terms of stiffness really. I couldn't get anything else with thick gauntlets on.

I was just hoping that Felipe didn't press his DRS button while I was holding it :lol:

It feels neutral. Not as cold as metal (it's not a good conductor), it feels like shiny plastic. Contrary to popular belief the edges of broken carbon-fibre don't feel sharp, they're normally quite woolly. Unless you hit a piece at an angle with a tyre doing 100mph, that's probably a different proposition :D

While it would be nice if all drivers were in equal cars, racing set-ups can and do make equal cars less equal. Take note, when Hamilton won the GP2 trophy, one of his best races was when he pulled all the rear wing out of his car at Turkey. Nobody else did that because it was suicidal. He spun out from fifth, recovered, and having found out how little grip he had in the corners, drove from the back of the grid to the podium.

-

Aside from open-wheelers, however, there's always ROC. But not everyone competes there. Schumi and Vettel have cleaned up quite a few team trophies at ROC in the past...

-

In the end, though, you make your own luck. Vettel earned his way onto the Red Bull "main" team, then made the jump to Ferrari at the right time. Hamilton made the jump to Mercedes just before McLaren completely imploded, a move few of us thought would work... though the suspicions were there given Merc had been pirating good people from the other teams for a while. A champion must give himself every chance to succeed.

Back