2015 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

It should... hopefully... be an interesting race. Nico is indeed on a high after that well deserved win in Austria... granted, he got lucky on that gaffe in Monaco, but he's doing to Lewis what Lewis did to him last season, winning from behind the polesitter.

Should make for an interesting battle in the races to come... something we badly need considering how badly everyone else (except Ferrari) is doing this season...

Manor has a new livery! ...and a sponsor!

CI7TJ_qWUAAFa3Z.jpg:large

It was five parts for a gearbox change and ten for an engine change once they went over quota. Now it's five for each individual component and ten for a full change because the FIA wanted to stop teams from changing an entire engine because one part was about to give way - they would be getting a fresh engine with a minimal penalty. In some cases, it would be less than five places because penalties are applied in the order that they were incurred; at the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix, several drivers were hit for speeding under yellows during qualifying, and I'm pretty sure that one of them actually got promoted rather than demoted simply because so many people took a penalty.

Once upon a time, engine use was completely unrestricted - teams used to bring an engine tuned for qualifying, and then swap it out for a race-spec engine. But with engines getting increasingly expensive, the FIA has tried to clamp down on those practices. No system of penalties is ever really going to be perfect because it's so difficult to get a balance where drivers are adequately penalised without offering the teams the temptation of taking a strategic penalty.

The only thing that I can really think of is the reintroduction of qualifying tyres. That way, everyone has fresh race rubber - but if they go over the engine quota, they take a ten-place penalty and are forced to give up a set of race tyres.

How about qualifying turbos like in old days as well? :lol: The ones that literally would blow up after 4-5 laps. Would probably cost a lot less for qualifying tires though.

I like that they changed engine regs to count for each major component. It makes sense, especially with these current "power units" (don't even call them engines anymore :lol:). I still wish they would look at unreliability as penalty enough, in the same sense that certain corners ran wide give off their own penalty because of the red sausage speed bumps.

Anyone see the glasses Hamilton had on today?, what in the name of all that's holy was that!

This also belongs in the Design thread I guess... but it's bound to be a talking point this weekend; engine suppliers will get an extra engine per-driver in their first year, Honda will benefit from this immediately. By the time of the Belgian Grand Prix there will be greater restrictions on "driver coaching" and the electronic aids available for each car's starting procedure. BBC.

This also belongs in the Design thread I guess... but it's bound to be a talking point this weekend; engine suppliers will get an extra engine per-driver in their first year, Honda will benefit from this immediately. By the time of the Belgian Grand Prix there will be greater restrictions on "driver coaching" and the electronic aids available for each car's starting procedure. BBC.
The changes are a start, but they don't go far enough - there's still an over-emphasis on downforce.

Just watching Jocelyn Palmer's onboard, she's making heavy weather of it...

In McLaren news; Alonso is 306 in the speed trap while Raikkonen is fastest of all with 326 at the time of this post.

Had to do a double take there at the name. Thought it said 'Jack Bauer' instead of 'Jo Bauer'. :lol:

But then again, it is late here and I've been up since 6am, do you can say I'm tired.

During the entire Event, no screen, cover or other obstruction which in any way obscures any part of a car will be allowed at any time in the paddock, garages, pit lane or grid, unless it is clear any such covers are needed solely for mechanical reasons, which could, for example, include protecting against fire.

In addition to the above the following are specifically not permitted :

a) Engine, gearbox or radiator covers whilst engines are being changed or moved around the garage.

b) Covers over spare wings when they are on a stand in the pit lane not being used.

c) Parts such as (but not limited to) spare floors, fuel rigs or tool trolleys may not be used as an obstruction.

The following are permitted :

d) Covers which are placed over damaged cars or components.

e) A transparent tool tray, no more than 50mm deep, placed on top of the rear wing.

f) Warming or heat retaining covers for the engine and gearbox on the grid.

g) A rear wing cover designed specifically to protect a mechanic starting the car from fire.

h) Tyre heating blankets.

i) Covers over the tyre manufacturer’s code numbers (not the FIA bar code numbers).

j) A cover over the car in the parc fermé overnight.

k) A cover over the car in the pit lane or grid if it is raining.

I feel like I say this a lot now, but the cameramen have continued their obsession with Carmen Jorda.

I'm starting to feel she's just there to fill in gaps in the broadcast when Practice is red-flagged.

Kravitz and Croft are complaining about the heat at Silverstone; apparently it's 23°C and they expect to be medium-well by the end of the session.

Really, guys? 23°C? Do you know what we call that down here? WINTER. It's no wonder Britain doesn't rule anything anymore.

Kravitz and Croft are complaining about the heat at Silverstone; apparently it's 23°C and they expect to be medium-well by the end of the session.

Really, guys? 23°C? Do you know what we call that down here? WINTER.
That's called freezing where I live. :lol: 45°C is probably a 'normal' temperature for summer here.

Really, guys? 23°C? Do you know what we call that down here? WINTER. It's no wonder Britain doesn't rule anything anymore.
Are they down in the pits? Track temp is 45°C, so that could be why they're complaining about it being hot.

It's been in the high 30's through out the week.

I've experienced heat from 36-45 celsius in Australia, Cuba, America, Italy, Singapore and Hong Kong. For whatever reason, reaching into the 30's here in the UK feels the worst and most unbearable to me out of all of the places I've been, even if they're nearly 10 degrees hotter and I'm carrying holiday and camping gear on my back.

It's been in the high 30's through out the week.

I've experienced heat from 36-45 celsius in Australia, Cuba, America, Italy, Singapore and Hong Kong. For whatever reason, reaching into the 30's here in the UK feels the worst and most unbearable to me out of all of the places I've been, even if they're nearly 10 degrees hotter and I'm carrying holiday and camping gear on my back.

That's because all those other places you've visited are prepared for it as it will regularly reach those temperatures where as here we aren't. Even a light sprinkling of snow and the country stops. It's pathetic.

Rosberg leading the field yet again after P2. Looks like maybe the time spent in the mid-season tests are maybe paying off. Hamilton only P4 with both Ferraris ahead of him, you might start to think that his ego and belief in his own natural talent is starting to work against him.

Back