2015 GTP Endurance Series: General Discussion

• Thread starter AJ
  • 2,227 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, anyone got any ideas/fixes to negate or at least reduce the catastrophic lag I've been putting out?
Step 1. Get it wired, highest grade patch cable you can find.
Step 2. Plug the router into the internet directly at the master socket (where it enters the house).
Step 3. In your router control panel, assign the PS3 a static IP address*. It may also help to assign everything else in your house a static IP address.
Step 4. In your router control panel, assign that static IP address to the Demilitarised Zone/DMZ
Step 5. In your PS3 XMB Network Settings...
Internet Connection Settings -> Custom -> Wired Connection -> Auto Detect -> Manual
IP Address is whatever you set in the router, Subnet Mask is usually 255.255.255.0, Default Router is the same IP Address you assigned to the PS3 only with a .1 at the end*, Primary and Secondary DNS can be set to your ISP's DNS, OpenDNS's (208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222) or Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)
-> Automatic -> Do Not Use -> Enable -> X to Save Settings -> Test Connection
Step 6. If this still doesn't work, get a new ISP and check that they're "gamer friendly"

*Exactly what those IP Addresses are will vary depending on the router you use. The commonest Default Router ISP is 192.168.0.1, but you will need to check. For the computers I use the .10-.19 range, for the laptops/netbooks I use the .20-.29 range, for the consoles I use the .30-.39 range and for the phones I use the .40-.49 range; the IP Address I use for my main PS3 is 192.168.0.30

From your PC (or mobile device) go to www.speedtest.net and test your connection speed to a U.K based location. Since AJ hosts the rooms it's more likely an issue with the delays between your location "down under" and the U.K. We see this same thing at work all the time too. North America to Australia is fine, but Europe to Australia has a LOT of lag and delay.
That's likely to be the case, but not specifically for that reason - the consoles aren't just communicating with @AJ's, but with each other.

It's simply because internet traffic takes three tenths a second to get from Australia to the UK - or back the other way - and it goes through North America in the process. Traffic from all over Australia heading to Europe goes to Sydney and then either across to New Zealand and then the Pacific up to LA or up to Seattle. Then it goes across the USA and out of New York through one of about ten cables each the size of a car across the Atlantic over to the UK. It's about a 15,000 mile trip - which is 300ms at the speed of light, not including the relays and routers at each end.

The more Europeans there are, the worse it'll appear for @StigsTC or any Australian, because his console has to talk to ALL of theirs. And theirs to his too.

All he can do is sort out about 10% of the lag by optimising his internets. Some of the rest of it is just because the internet goes under two oceans eastwards, and not one westwards (but if it did that, you'd see US-Australia lag instead). Most of it is because we live in a universe limited by the speed of light and he's a long way away :lol:

Funny thing is, I've put my PS3 in the DMZ of my router and have still had problems. :lol:

Upgrade soon. I hope. :nervous:

Last edited:
is anyone else getting this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 37
Did it ever go down on the 7th? I never noticed it if it did

"...This time round, the maintenance consists of two, eight hour periods separated by just 48 hours. During these times, GT6 players will be unlikely to be able to connect to any of the game’s online services, though experience tells us that connectivity may vary geographically.

The two schedules are:

7th July 2015; 1100-1900 GMT/UTC (time zone conversion here)
9th July 2015; 1100-1900 GMT/UTC (time zone conversion here)"

Did it ever go down on the 7th? I never noticed it if it did

"...This time round, the maintenance consists of two, eight hour periods separated by just 48 hours. During these times, GT6 players will be unlikely to be able to connect to any of the game’s online services, though experience tells us that connectivity may vary geographically.

The two schedules are:

7th July 2015; 1100-1900 GMT/UTC (time zone conversion here)
9th July 2015; 1100-1900 GMT/UTC (time zone conversion here)"
Yeah it did

I am running a cable, but testing both allowed me to see that my upload was being limited somewhere not between my computer/PS3 and router.
Ping to nearest: 8
Ping to Milton Keynes: 321
Ping to Auckland: 45
Ping to New York: 254

There is your problem. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. Those numbers are your round trip delay in milliseconds. Anything over ~160 you will start seeing issues. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. It's something your service provider may need to look into. It basically comes down to how they are routing your traffic out of Australia.

Just for reference, I am near Toronto, Canada. My service is 15Mbps down and 2mbps up DSL.

I did the following ping tests:

Ping to nearest: 15
Ping to New York: 53
Ping to London, UK: 110
Ping to Syndey, Aus: 249
Ping to Melbourne, Aus: 235
Ping to Perth, Aus: 282
Ping to Adelaide, Aus: 252
Ping to Brisbane, Aus: 245

The one thing you can try is this:

On your PC, open a Command Prompt window (DOS window).

Type the command tracert www.google.co.uk

This is the "trace route" command.

This won't necessarily tell you the exact route your traffic is taking, but it will give you an idea of how many routers or "hops" it is taking. If it is more than 10 -12 then that is where the problem lies.

From the number you posted above, your local Internet is fine. There is unfortunately nothing you can do to improve this other than perhaps changing to a service provider that has better International routing.

It's simply because internet traffic takes three tenths a second to get from Australia to the UK - or back the other way - and it goes through North America in the process. Traffic from all over Australia heading to Europe goes to Sydney and then either across to New Zealand and then the Pacific up to LA or up to Seattle. Then it goes across the USA and out of New York through one of about ten cables each the size of a car across the Atlantic over to the UK. It's about a 15,000 mile trip - which is 300ms at the speed of light, not including the relays and routers at each end.

Yup... NAILED IT! It's unfortunate, but it is the way of the world at the moment.

Now, some Australian service providers seem to manage better than others, so it may be worth shopping around. The main way they manage better is by the hardware (routers) and protocols they use to reduce the latency as proven by the fact that while @StigsTC had issues, others from Australia were fine.

FYI - This is the business I am in (my employer builds routers and switches and all things networking), so I am trying very hard to keep the lingo "everyday" enough for everyone, but in doing so I may appear to be "talking down" to people. I want to apologize in advance if anyone feels I am "talking down" to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone! I've heard a few talks about the Fuji 4H in the future coming up soon here being delayed a week due to a 12H race coming up the same week. Any news regarding that? Or is that race still on schedule to go that weekend?

Thank You!

This weekend marks a special time for myself in this series, as my own team will be making its debut in the GT300 Class, RaceOnOZ Racing.

image.jpg

RaceOnOZ Racing will take over the #67 Subaru BRZ entry, comprised of drivers from Australia and New Zealand all champing at the bit to race. @mustafur, @Konnor, @pykey4, @TDZdave and myself are all hungry for success and great racing, along with a few more very fast drivers waiting in the wings.

In the meantime, watch out for the Orange Boxer Beast!

Very last minute advertisement: DRIVERS WANTED!

DRR_TCN1_Car.jpg

Tsukuba 4h in TCN-1 class (Race this weekend, Saturday July 18). We have Lexus IS-F CCS-R for you to drive!

We are short on drivers due to various reasons. We need at least 1 driver (possibly 2).

If you would like to drive for us, please send me a PM. Since it is relatively easy and slow class I welcome drivers of any skill level (but must be clean and respectful of other drivers / good racing judgement)

Very last minute advertisement: DRIVERS WANTED!

DRR_TCN1_Car.jpg

Tsukuba 4h in TCN-1 class (Race this weekend, Saturday July 18). We have Lexus IS-F CCS-R for you to drive!

We are short on drivers due to various reasons. We need at least 1 driver (possibly 2).

If you would like to drive for us, please send me a PM. Since it is relatively easy and slow class I welcome drivers of any skill level (but must be clean and respectful of other drivers / good racing judgement)

Il do it mate! Busy weekend for me as I'm doing Motegi 12hour aswell haha

So glad to be back on track after 2.5 months of no GT. Life has been crazy busy for me recently, so really happy to get back on, see some familiar faces and brush the cobwebs off. Not a bad way to come back either! :sly:

So glad to be back on track after 2.5 months of no GT. Life has been crazy busy for me recently, so really happy to get back on, see some familiar faces and brush the cobwebs off. Not a bad way to come back either! :sly:
It was nice to see you on track, Caine. :) Internet high-five for beating my time with 2.5 months of no driving!

I have not heard from the Team Manager of the #61 GT300 franchise.

If there are a couple of drivers interested in taking part in tomorrow's race, please contact me ASAP.

Russian Roulette Racing needs one driver exclusively for the Japan 12h

Must be rated Silver or better.

If you're interested, PM me ASAP.

Edit: We found a driver, thank your for your interest :)

Last edited:
Swift Autosport is looking for 2 drivers capable of helping with setups and willing to drive if needed.

Must be rated Silver or better.

You'd be driving either a GT300 Subaru or a TCN1 Volkswagen

If you're interested, PM me ASAP

I think it would be cool to allow franchises the option for an extra car in a similar or same livery. It would simulate real life conditions.

I think it would be cool to allow franchises the option for an extra car in a similar or same livery. It would simulate real life conditions.
I would like to see that happen it would make the teams championship alot better and for special races a team can add a wild card car like le mans

I would like to see that happen it would make the teams championship alot better and for special races a team can add a wild card car like le mans
Thats exactly what I was going for, todays race only had 9 cars in it. Could've fit 3 wild cards to fill the grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back