2015 Rugby World Cup

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 121 comments
Absolutely gutted, well done Argentina. Really wish we didn't get hammered with injuries in the France match.

Despite scoring 5 tries to 3, we barely won, and barely deserved it. With the combination of Scotland playing well, our crap handling, giving up penalties at scrums and rubbish goalkicking, we got out of jail bigtime.
Luckily we get to start over against Argentina next week. Will need to be a huge improvement to earn the right to play the All Blacks in the final, who I expect to destroy South Africa.

Despite scoring 5 tries to 3, we barely won, and barely deserved it. With the combination of Scotland playing well, our crap handling, giving up penalties at scrums and rubbish goalkicking, we got out of jail bigtime.
Don't forget the biased referee.

Yeah, the yellow card was really harsh (I thought a penalty would have been harsh enough), and after seeing the replay of the last penalty, you were robbed there too.

Tough one on Scotland but those get given every weekend in S15 and without the ability to go upstairs to officially check, I don't blame the ref entirely. Tough one for Scotland though, they were gallant.

As for Ireland, I didnt see the blowout coming - there was a chasm in Northern and Southern Hemisphere teams about 10 years ago that then narrowed - looks like it is back.

If the Argies play next game like this one and Aus dish up another performance like this, it could be interesting. If the Boks beat NZ, it would be an upset of note.

2 jokes doing the rounds at the moment.

Good to see that solidarity is alive and well in the UK as witnessed in the Rugby world cup............one out, all out.

Coca-cola has hired the Irish Rugby team for its Dublin plant.........They needed 15 bottlers.

And then there were four....

Saturday

South Africa v New Zealand, 4pm Twickenham

Sunday

Argentina v Australia, 4pm Twickenham

Disappointing they couldn't squeeze a Semi into the millennium stadium, such a great atmosphere in Cardiff on a match day compared to Twickers (though Twickers has some great art outside).

Disappointing they couldn't squeeze a Semi into the millennium stadium, such a great atmosphere in Cardiff on a match day compared to Twickers (though Twickers has some great art outside).
There was no way the English were going to let a semi go to Wales. Sounds like there were some serious negotiations involved in getting the games they did. A bit disappointing that they couldn't get a game or two to Murrayfield in the group stage.

That's it for the Millennium Stadium at this tournament I'm afraid, the final is obviously at Twickenham whereas the 3rd/4th place match is at the Olympic Stadium.

Yeah realised all those points, but in fairness the Millennium has been involved in 3 world cups now, and who knows, maybe we'll get a Celtic world cup in a few years.

Now the nerves start to build before the All Blacks/Boks game. We come into this game off a stomping of France, but playing against South Africa is always a test to see how shot your nerves can get especially in such a big stakes match as the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup

Woke up and watched the Bok/ABs game. Much tighter than expected and we definitely put the ABs under pressure they have not had in ages - lots of mistakes and grubbers which is uncharacteristic. But, they had enough weapons to deal with it and the better rugby team won. Nice to see SBW showing some humility in victory, unlike his bellend captain.

What a fantastic game today!

I can't help but feel that Kaino's try was a Forward Pass though, confused as to why they didn't check it.

So the Kiwis will be in the Finals. I almost forgot action was going to be televised on NBC here in the States. Most of what I was watching was... some other kind of football. Anyhow, I saw New Zealand won 20-18 over South Africa. I'm impartial to Tri-Nations Rugby (or whatever it's called these days), so I'm proud for both New Zealand and South Africa to advance this far. The All-Blacks are a powerhouse.

If it's Australia vs. New Zealand in the finals, seems like we have a glorified rivalry game and a glorified Tri-Nations game for the Rugby World Cup Championship. Nothing like Wallabies vs. All-Blacks. It's actually my favorite rugby rivalry. Should be a good one, as per usual.

If Australia want to come close to the All Blacks next week, there are 2 things that I think desperately need fixing:
1. The scrum - far to many penalties conceded which turn into points more often than not. It looked much better against Argentina once the starting prop were gone. I don't know how many penalties were pinned on Slipper.
2. Goal kicking - Foley's misses nearly cost us against Scotland, and made the semi tighter than it should have been.

Over the quarter and semi finals, we scored 6 more tries than the opposition and only won by a total of 15 points. The combination of my two points above contributed a lot to that.

Not WC-related but Munster and Ireland Full Back Felix Jones has been forced to retire after picking up a neck injury.

m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/its-unthinkable-i-wont-play-again-munsters-felix-jones-forced-into-retirement-at-just-28-34149934.html

He has had a similar incident in the past on his neck. Upsetting story.

Edit: Don't know why the link won't work, try this

I saw this interview with Nigel Owens from 2014 which discusses his personal issues and coming out as gay. Quite an interesting watch. The first question cuts straight the to heart of his issues though.

These are the last two games of the tournament then...

Friday

Bronze Final

South Africa v Argentina, 8pm Olympic Stadium

Saturday

Final

New Zealand v Australia, 4pm Twickenham

Well, if there was a ever a display of "rules for NZ and rules for everyone else", last night was a great example.

Warburton spear tackles Le Clerc in the '11 Semi and gets red carded.

Smith spear tackles Mitchel in the '15 final and gets a yellow.

:sly:

Anyway, well done kiwis - great running rugby again on display and always, always another gear to go for.

Last edited:
New Zealand are just too good. Delivered when they had to.

Only team to successfully retain the RWC. Fair dues to them.

New Zealand were fantastic all tournament and will surely now will be among the all time great Sports teams along the Spanish Football team 07-12, the Australian Cricket team 03-10 and Team GB's Olympic Cycling team from 2012.

Sad news. I know he had some serious health issues but damn, 40 is way too young. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP.

Last edited:
Back