2015 United Kingdom General Discussion

• Thread starter Growling
  • 371 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
TRL_Growling
Well here we go. The fun gets under way on the 21st of this month. Looks to be the same format and dates as last year.

So who's going for it? Who's ineligible?

Feel free to discuss anything UK GTA related in here :cheers:

GOOD LUCK UK!! Let's bring it home this year!

Oh balls, I'll be back at uni then, sans PS3 for revision purposes. Think my last exam is on the 6th of June so I may be able to get a couple of weeks of it in before the rankings end... alternatively, if they're running Facebook again I'll try that, worked for me last year!

But yeah, good luck everyone! :D

Fire up your ps3 and update gt6 mate, it's now on the home page
image.jpg

Excellent, been waiting ages for the official dates etc. Not that I'll be anywhere near the top, it's the taking part that counts right...

I also will have to reclaim my PS3 back for a few weeks.

It begins... :cool:

I'd like to think I'm one of the favourites to make it to Race Camp this year, but I was thinking the same thing last year and still didn't make it, mostly because I was rubbish in the Juke.

In theory it should be easier now because there are yet another six guys from the UK that can't enter any more, but you never know when someone else will up their game. Stuart Millar and Luke Wilkins didn't even make the top 12 in 2013, but they still managed to make the top 6 last year. Karl Chard was only 26th out of 32 in the 2012 final, yet last year he made it all the way to the final race!

Still, I honestly believe that I have the potential to win, and I'll be putting 100% into trying to make it happen. I've mainly been competing in iRacing recently as opposed to GT6, so I'll probably need the first three rounds to get back into practice.

See you all on the leaderboards on Tuesday :gtpflag:

P.S. Drat, I was hoping to create the UK thread myself :P

It begins... :cool:

I'd like to think I'm one of the favourites to make it to Race Camp this year, but I was thinking the same thing last year and still didn't make it, mostly because I was rubbish in the Juke.

In theory it should be easier now because there are yet another six guys from the UK that can't enter any more, but you never know when someone else will up their game. Stuart Millar and Luke Wilkins didn't even make the top 12 in 2013, but they still managed to make the top 6 last year. Karl Chard was only 26th out of 32 in the 2012 final, yet last year he made it all the way to the final race!

Still, I honestly believe that I have the potential to win, and I'll be putting 100% into trying to make it happen. I've mainly been competing in iRacing recently as opposed to GT6, so I'll probably need the first three rounds to get back into practice.

See you all on the leaderboards on Tuesday :gtpflag:

P.S. Drat, I was hoping to create the UK thread myself :P
where one can get a lot of points ? the game , the driving , fitness or media ?

where one can get a lot of points ? the game , the driving , fitness or media ?

From what I heard the 2014 UK final had all four events weighted equally. This means that the media test, which a lot of people neglect to prepare for, is just as important as actually being good at GT6. Go figure.

From what I heard the 2014 UK final had all four events weighted equally. This means that the media test, which a lot of people neglect to prepare for, is just as important as actually being good at GT6. Go figure.

That's correct Matthew, and an F1 based scoring system meaning only the top 10 score from each discipline..i would expect the same this year, but you just never know :scared:

Which means that if you end up in the group that's in front of me and I don't like you very much...

:mischievous:

Hasn't happened yet though :lol:

Which means that if you end up in the group that's in front of me and I don't like you very much...

:mischievous:

Hasn't happened yet though :lol:
EEK (is there a secret list of "people who Famine doesn't like" somewhere that can be found ;))

...well, I feel like I've stumbled into Fight Club when I was looking for the D'n'D night...:P

Hello folks. I'm going to enter this year, with NO aspirations to progress (my jaw drops every time I see the times people are putting in around here!), but more for fun and for personal gain. I want to use this academy as a motivator to work hard, practice hard, work on my race craft, AND even take my plans for improved fitness and diet (Which have failed miserably for the last few years) more seriously. Because why not? I'm aware the chances of me winning a slot are along the same chances as being struck by lightning whilst winning the lottery at the same time, but hey. Doesn't hurt to be ambitious :)

Hopefully will also be capturing my exploits ready for a Youtube mini-series on my Youtube channel. Not sure how entertaining someone failing at GT Academy will be to watch, but who knows :P

Just a few questions: is the format an elimination process? As in, a certain number get cut down from round 1 to 2, and so on? And is there any eligibility criteria outside of 'must own a PS3 and GT6'?

Look forward to running with the wolves :cheers:

Hey @Falcon787B

GTA is for everyone to enjoy. There's no eliminations, everyone gets to play right up to the end of the final round. They just take the fastest guys from the final round to the next (more serious) stage.

Good luck :cheers:

...well, I feel like I've stumbled into Fight Club when I was looking for the D'n'D night...:P

Hello folks. I'm going to enter this year, with NO aspirations to progress (my jaw drops every time I see the times people are putting in around here!), but more for fun and for personal gain. I want to use this academy as a motivator to work hard, practice hard, work on my race craft, AND even take my plans for improved fitness and diet (Which have failed miserably for the last few years) more seriously. Because why not? I'm aware the chances of me winning a slot are along the same chances as being struck by lightning whilst winning the lottery at the same time, but hey. Doesn't hurt to be ambitious :)

Hopefully will also be capturing my exploits ready for a Youtube mini-series on my Youtube channel. Not sure how entertaining someone failing at GT Academy will be to watch, but who knows :P

Just a few questions: is the format an elimination process? As in, a certain number get cut down from round 1 to 2, and so on? And is there any eligibility criteria outside of 'must own a PS3 and GT6'?

Look forward to running with the wolves :cheers:

Hi Falcon, always good to see new guys giving GT Academy a go.

I was in your shoes about three years ago; back then even managing a top 1000 time in GT Academy 2012 was exciting for me, and it encouraged to take Gran Turismo more seriously. GT Academy was also my main motivation to get into shape; I've made significant progress since my woeful performance in the fitness tests in 2013.

Good luck, hope to see you on the leaderboards soon 👍

P.S. If you take the live events into account, it isn't even necessary to own a PS3 or GT6, though anyone who doesn't might struggle in the gaming part of the national final...

P.S. If you take the live events into account, it isn't even necessary to own a PS3 or GT6, though anyone who doesn't might struggle in the gaming part of the national final...
I can kinda testify to this. I do have GT6 and consider myself to be pretty good at the game, but not quite quick enough to be fighting for places at the top of the leaderboards. Last year I qualified via the Facebook mini game and did well in the live event, coming 4th against some really good GT6 players - I was surprised at how high-level that event actually was - but in the gaming part of the national final the next day I got well and truly put in my place :P It put it into perspective for me just how good the top guys are. Really wanted to put a lot of work into GT6 and fitness this year but sadly have been too busy with degree stuff (though I have lost over a stone, I was a bit porky last year!!!)

EDIT: I should also add that my preparations for last year once I found out I'd qualified were hampered by the fact that my PS3 developed YLOD a couple of days before I got the email, so I probably would have been a bit closer if that hadn't happened but still wouldn't have matched the top guys!

Last edited:
Hey @Falcon787B

GTA is for everyone to enjoy. There's no eliminations, everyone gets to play right up to the end of the final round. They just take the fastest guys from the final round to the next (more serious) stage.

Good luck :cheers:

Awesome. I've always enjoyed that philosophy about GT. Everyone gets to have some fun :) Thank you!

Hi Falcon, always good to see new guys giving GT Academy a go.

I was in your shoes about three years ago; back then even managing a top 1000 time in GT Academy 2012 was exciting for me, and it encouraged to take Gran Turismo more seriously. GT Academy was also my main motivation to get into shape; I've made significant progress since my woeful performance in the fitness tests in 2013.

Good luck, hope to see you on the leaderboards soon 👍

Wow! That's motivational enough. One of the strongest in the game, I guess everyone has to start somewhere! :) I think it shows the power of aspiration - GT are dangling a carrot for us, and it's amazing what that can do to your motivation! I've never EVER been much cop at sim racing, anyone I've raced I've been slower normally. Time to hopefully change it. I've famously never had much patience, or focus on improving such things. All of these I am fascinated to see if I can improve and work on, with the GT Academy carrot dangled :)

I can kinda testify to this. I do have GT6 and consider myself to be pretty good at the game, but not quite quick enough to be fighting for places at the top of the leaderboards. Last year I qualified via the Facebook mini game and did well in the live event, coming 4th against some really good GT6 players - I was surprised at how high-level that event actually was - but in the gaming part of the national final the next day I got well and truly put in my place :P It put it into perspective for me just how good the top guys are. Really wanted to put a lot of work into GT6 and fitness this year but sadly have been too busy with degree stuff (though I have lost over a stone, I was a bit porky last year!!!)

EDIT: I should also add that my preparations for last year once I found out I'd qualified were hampered by the fact that my PS3 developed YLOD a couple of days before I got the email, so I probably would have been a bit closer if that hadn't happened but still wouldn't have matched the top guys!

I know the feeling with the degree stuff - it can work both ways, either you loose weight by just not having much food (being a skint student) or put it on by vegging out (by also being a skint student) - most of my diet last year consisted of the local Chinese takeaway and the chippie down the road! :P

I know the feeling with the degree stuff - it can work both ways, either you loose weight by just not having much food (being a skint student) or put it on by vegging out (by also being a skint student) - most of my diet last year consisted of the local Chinese takeaway and the chippie down the road! :P
Well I lost the vast majority of it between late August and mid October, the main challenge was to keep it all off :P still managed it though which I'm glad about!

Well I lost the vast majority of it between late August and mid October, the main challenge was to keep it all off :P still managed it though which I'm glad about!

That's always the challenge! I can keep up exercise for a month or so, and then it just drops away and I'm back to square one :P

In case anyone has missed it, 2012 UK and Ireland finalist Des Foley (@Dessy182) has created a website with guides and tips on preparing for GT Academy 2015. It's pretty useful and offers a great insight into his time at Race Camp.

Just 10 hours to go now. My plan for tomorrow is to get up early, start round 1 as soon as it opens up, set a time which will be #1 for a few minutes, go to work, get back and panic about how many people have overtaken me already. Fun fact: I actually did that twice last year :D

In case anyone has missed it, 2012 UK and Ireland finalist Des Foley (@Dessy182) has created a website with guides and tips on preparing for GT Academy 2015. It's pretty useful and offers a great insight into his time at Race Camp.

Just 10 hours to go now. My plan for tomorrow is to get up early, start round 1 as soon as it opens up, set a time which will be #1 for a few minutes, go to work, get back and panic about how many people have overtaken me already. Fun fact: I actually did that twice last year :D
you made it to the finals last year ?

I'm getting up early to try to fight you! :lol:

Good luck all.
I am not even close to being good enough to progress, but this year I am going to put everything into it.

Always look forward to seeing the ridiculous times at the top of the table.

Back