2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
Spirit of Tony Barton; the assistant manager who took over Aston Villa at the SF stage and won the European Cup with no experience as a number one.

My group chat with the lads is still running under the title "Justice For Ranieri" but Craig Shakespeare... he just knows how these boys play. Christian Fuchs and Danny Drinkwater were excellent and Kasper Schmeichel proved his worth once again.

A great, great tie from minute 1 to minute 180.

Another fantastic match, what a night for Leicester and what a performance, amazing atmosphere!

fantastic match, what a night for Leicester and what a performance, amazing atmosphere!
Exactly!!
When the ref gave that "penalty", I was like: "Oh 🤬🤬! Now we're done...". And then Schmeichel saved the day like a boss :bowdown:

gettyimages-653373082.vadapt.767.high.0.jpg

leiester-celebration.jpg

8355128-3x2-700x467.jpg

It's increasingly looking like removing Ranieri as manager was the right thing to do...

... but it's still utterly baffling how they got to that position.

It's increasingly looking like removing Ranieri as manager was the right thing to do...

Last night on Dutch tellyvision, we had Johnny Heitinga and Ronald de Boer talkibg about, and they said that the players had the feeling that Ranieri changed so much that he had lost his marbles and his tactics and talks didn't make any sense anymore.

Last night on Dutch tellyvision, we had Johnny Heitinga and Ronald de Boer talkibg about, and they said that the players had the feeling that Ranieri changed so much that he had lost his marbles and his tactics and talks didn't make any sense anymore.

Could be some truth in that? :)

Many are speculating that Shakespeare is the brains behind the outfit. This season Ranieri tried to bring in his own people and his own methods and the players were unhappy with it so they played badly (on purpose?) to get him sacked.

Now that Shakespeare has them back on the winning formula, they're showing how good they can be again.

One thing I was happy to see was genuine atmosphere during an English team's CL match. Way too often the atmosphere feels drab and you can't actually feel the momentous occasion coming through when watching on the TV.

Fair play to Leicester for putting on a good show but I will say those 'clapper' things the fans get are pretty silly. :lol:

Last two places in the quarters up for grabs tonight, Atletico are 4-2 up v Leverkusen and Man City are 5-3 up v Monaco.

Atletico and Leverkusen played 0-0 in the second match, but by no means a boring game. Loads of chances but some brilliant saves by the goalkeepers. Atletico through with 4-2.

Monaco - Man City ended 3-1, meaning 6-6 after 2 games and Monaco go through on away goals. Very entertaining match to watch and should have had many more goals in it.

Looking forward to the draw on the upcoming Friday.

Monaco were just too good for City tonight and played fantastic, City shouldn't be to disheartened as they lost to the better team, Monaco were so impressive, I don't think anyone will want to play them in the quarters.

Leicester are going to get massive TV pool money from being the last english team left in the CL, if they make the Semis they will make more then any other team in the CL regardless if they win or not.

The only English team left in the Champions League are the English champions. This is right.

You know what would be great to completely ruin the coming setup for the CL? If for the next couple of years the last four are all from Spain or something. So that nobody outside of Spain can't be bothered to watch the semi's and final anymore. Perhaps then the UEFA will see what is going wrong.

You know what would be great to completely ruin the coming setup for the CL? If for the next couple of years the last four are all from Spain or something. So that nobody outside of Spain can't be bothered to watch the semi's and final anymore. Perhaps then the UEFA will see what is going wrong.

Spain are definitely a class above.

I seriously cant think of anyway Leicester can go any further, they are going to get beat by any team they face in the quarters, the gulf in class will be telling, my opinion of course.

I seriously cant think of anyway Leicester can go any further, they are going to get beat by any team they face in the quarters, the gulf in class will be telling, my opinion of course.
If they can match last years quality they can win imo, and so far since shakesphere has taken over it looks like they are.

Until one of the heavyweight teams smack them back down on earth. :lol:
We expected that to happen all of last season in the EPL, but it never did.

And...

Juventus do not want to play Leicester in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, says the Italian team's keeper and captain Gianluigi Buffon.

The Italian champions beat Porto to reach the last eight, while the Foxes also progressed by overcoming Sevilla.

The Italy captain, 39, said: "Who do I prefer not to play? Leicester.

"They are a dangerous and passionate team who can cause trouble for opponents who take the initiative. We would have everything to lose."

Zidane has also come out in fear of Leicester, saying it because "they keep achieving what they are told is impossible."

I think the key difference here is the sheer gulf in quality between England's top teams and those currently remaining the CL. That being said, Leicester are just as well placed as Monaco to progress I guess. Ideally, that would be the best match up for them I believe.

If they were to get Bayern, Real or Barcelona though...it probably wouldn't end well.

That being said, I really want them and Monaco to find a way to progress and break the stronghold we usually see in CL semi-finals. Bring some new names to the table. :D

I think the key difference here is the sheer gulf in quality between England's top teams and those currently remaining the CL.
That's what everyone said about Leicester and the top 4 last season.

And what everyone said about Iceland last summer, although they did end up on the wrong end of a hiding from France in the quarters.

Champions League Quarter-Finals

Atletico v Leicester
Dortmund v Monaco
Bayern v Real Madrid
Juventus v Barcelona

Decent draw for the Foxes I'd say!

UEFA must be crying into their champagne because Bayern München and Real Madrid are playing each other at a stage as lowly as the quarter-finals.

Well congrats to Bayern on reaching the semi-finals...

Real Madrid are playing 9 games in April, 2 against Bayern, 1 against Barca, 1 against Atletico and 1 against Valencia... On top of the, on paper, matches against lesser teams. :ouch:

Atletico were the worst team Leicester could get. They play the same way Leicester do in that they soak up pressure then hit you on the break. It's shaping up to be a boring game which Atletico will nick by the one (and only) goal.

Atletico were the worst team Leicester could get. They play the same way Leicester do in that they soak up pressure then hit you on the break. It's shaping up to be a boring game which Atletico will nick by the one (and only) goal.
My thoughts echo yours. A Barcelona style of attack attack attack is what Leicester use to their advantage.

I agree with the above but I was hoping for a Leicester v. Dortmund match personally. That would have been great.

Back