2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
Some teams are unplayable when the conditions are soo bad, but you would be expected to get the job done in familiar Territory.

Some teams are unplayable when the conditions are soo bad, but you would be expected to get the job done in familiar Territory.
100% agree. That being said, they are actually pretty dangerous and it's by no means closed out. On the attack they have a decent bit of firepower.

The biggest upset in the tournament no longer belongs to Lincoln Red Imps. Dundalk managed to beat BATE Borosov 3-0 at home to take their place in the LC playoff. Incredible stuff.

Half-time 1-0 Celtic.

Who else but Leigh 'Sheffield Wednesday tried to pay 2.5mil' Griffiths.

Here's hoping we can see it out.

Psht. Easy, next please 👍

Last edited:
I would like to issue the heartiest of congratulations to Dundalk on making it through to the final qualifying stage of the Champions League. Great noise from the crowd and the second goal is a lovely header!

Guaranteed Europa League group stage whatever happens.
€7 million minimum payment.

Seven. Million.

For a League Of Ireland club. A league system which is still very much semi-pro. A friend of mine here used to play for them and has been saying how four years ago the town was advertising in petrol stations for donations to get their staff to away games. What a turnaround.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly they do with that money. When it comes through, around December time, they will easily cement their place as the richest club in Ireland and if sensibility comes in place, after clearing their debts they will also by far and away have the largest transfer and wage budget in the league.

I would like to issue the heartiest of congratulations to Dundalk on making it through to the final qualifying stage of the Champions League. Great noise from the crowd and the second goal is a lovely header!

Seven. Million.

For a League Of Ireland club. A league system which is still very much semi-pro. A friend of mine here used to play for them and has been saying how four years ago the town was advertising in petrol stations for donations to get their staff to away games. What a turnaround.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly they do with that money. When it comes through, around December time, they will easily cement their place as the richest club in Ireland and if sensibility comes in place, after clearing their debts they will also by far and away have the largest transfer and wage budget in the league.

It's an incredible achievement. Well deserved too, BATE are no joke.

Dundalk vs Celtic would be a cracking tie but I fear we'll get Copenhagen. The atmosphere last night was insane:

The draw has been made:
CpFqCX8XEAQeppU.jpg

Difficult tie for Celtic but could be worse. At home first too unfortunately, imperative we manage a 2 goal lead and clean sheet at Celtic Park. It will be a hard one for sure.

Ah yes. Ajax finds itself once again against something out of the east. They'll go into the matches full of confidence and arrogance and in the end they'll play Europa League.

At least they have a chance of getting through. They could have drawn Man City or Porto, against whom they'd stand very little chance.

At least they have a chance of getting through. They could have drawn Man City or Porto, against whom they'd stand very little chance.

No, Ajax had protected status. No draw was possible against Man C, Porto, Villareal or Mönchengladbach.

Edit.

And that's another example as of why the whole draw circus is an horrible piece of crap.

UEFA has 55 members. Lump all (only the league winners) in one pot and draw. Give smaller teams a chance to make it further into the tournament. Now there are always 2 top teams per group, and usually they go through to the next round.

Who doesn't want to see a group stage with Real, Juventus, Bayern and in this case as the oddball Leicester?

Last edited:
It's a bit daft all round. The only reason there's a week break too is because of the new teams coming in at this phase. The next round should start next week, not our fault that finishing 3rd in your league still makes you accountable to play CL football. It just breaks the momentum up.

Who doesn't want to see a group stage with Real, Juventus, Bayern and in this case as the oddball Leicester?

UEFA. They don't book those 80,000 seater stadiums 5 years in advance for a Ludogorets vs Nicosia final.

Specifically, there was a game in the second round of the 1986/87 (?) European Cup which led to all of this. The European Cup was a straight draw from the very go for domestic champs only with no qualifier rounds. And I think it was a Juventus vs Real Madrid game and UEFA were all "Oh my god, it's a tragedy that one of the big teams is out so soon" and that is what directly led to seeding, the Champions League and a Big Boys Only club.

Bull:censored:. That's the point of a bloody cup draw in the first place; that anyone can draw anyone and that a small team can overcome the odds.

Last edited:

Seven. Million.

Ireland really needed something like this to happen, their league is very disproportionately poor for the country it's in, and this can go a long way to atleast making Europe a thing that's possible.

Pretty crazy to think the money they have gotten from this would destroy anything an Australian Club has at the moment, and our league is fully professional, growing at a fast rate and is a powerhouse of the Asian Champions league.

Ireland really needed something like this to happen, their league is very disproportionately poor for the country it's in, and this can go a long way to atleast making Europe a thing that's possible.

Pretty crazy to think the money they have gotten from this would destroy anything an Australian Club has at the moment, and our league is fully professional, growing at a fast rate and is a powerhouse of the Asian Champions league.
Modern European football is pretty much the worst thing.

Modern European football is pretty much the worst thing.
The goods come with the bads, it creates massive difference between teams in each league but for example you get teams such as Celtic or Porto which are able to provide a much stronger team then they could possibly imagine if the teams where more equal across the league, it gives them more of a chance in Europe at the expense of their own league.

It's still weird thinking of Dundalk as a potential dominant power for the next few years in Irish football. Prior to that I remember it being thought of as that town everyone drives past to get to Newry, it's like Carlisle or Middlesbrough dominating the Premier League.

Small Towns can do well, look at Villarreal, ofcourse it does help being in a big league, for the minor leagues having some success in Europe will pay more then filling a big stadium every week.

Last edited:
Real Madrid beat Sevilla in the Super Cup 3-2 in extra time tonight.

DK
It's still weird thinking of Dundalk as a potential dominant power for the next few years in Irish football. Prior to that I remember it being thought of as that town everyone drives past to get to Newry, it's like Carlisle or Middlesbrough dominating the Premier League.

They have been doing well the last few years though. I'm five seasons into FM16 and after Shamrock Rovers won the first, Dundalk have won 4 Irish Prems in a row. ;)

So, Play-Off week is here...the first leg of all the ties takes place on Tuesday-Wednesday.

Celtic (for the first time this season), will play the first leg at home. I'm pretty damn worried about this since the team can't rely on the crowd to push them through to the promised land that is the Champions League.

Difficult opposition as well - Hapoel Be'er Sheva have only lost 1 of their first 8 competitive games; 5W 2D 1L. I'd say a 2 goal lead and clean sheet will be a must to try and mitigate whatever happens in Israel.

Very excited though. :D

The nerves are off the chart. Cannot wait for this game. Come on Celtic. 👍

Celtic Park is 🤬 jumping!

It ends 5-2, next stop; Israel!

Last edited:
Great result for Celtic, need to get the job done next week now, how did Dundalk do??

Back