2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
The first goal was a really harsh penalty, and the second was a last minute counter. Unfortunate, but they still have Europa.

As you may or may not know, Celtic are facing a fine/stand closure for a 'political act/illicit banner' that was displayed on Wednesday's first leg against Hapoel Sheva:

JS97373746.jpg

In response to this, an initiative has been set up by the fans to match whatever UEFA fines Celtic and send the money to Palestinian areas that are in need. After 24 hours, the total sits at £34,333.

Insane reception to the cause, will be interesting to see how much is raised, the initial goal was £15k.

We're 🤬 back.

Ends 5-4 on aggregate.

See you at the draw on Thursday.

Celtic are either a good team that are really bad away from home or a bad team that are really good at home.

Celtic are either a good team that are really bad away from home or a bad team that are really good at home.
Always has been the former. Never been good away from home. :lol:

Always has been the former. Never been good away from home. :lol:

Artmedia Bratislava gets brought up here a lot whenever we talk football. :)

So close for Dundalk. Amazing to think that they got this far at all and 1-3 against Legia Warszawa is hardly a spanking. Really memorable stuff and now they have Europa group football to look forward to!

Artmedia Bratislava gets brought up here a lot whenever we talk football. :)

So close for Dundalk. Amazing to think that they got this far at all and 1-3 against Legia Warszawa is hardly a spanking. Really memorable stuff and now they have Europa group football to look forward to!
Bratislava was a fun one. Absolutely hounded away, should have went through at home if not for some... risqué tactics from them, shall we put it nicely.

Rodgers is the first Celtic manager ever to make the CL in his first year, not bad start then!

I bet Roma would have loved to get Dundalk for their play-off. I wouldn't be surprised if they will be the type of team fighting to make the champions league easier for them to get into.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet but rumour (if it's true it's a done deal)has it that the top 4 leagues in Europe will soon be having 4 team straight into the group stages. That's half the pot.

One of the worst performances I have seen from Roma in a long time. Juan was being run rings around by Corona who is an exceptional both footed winger and most of the players just lost their heads after the first goal diving into tackles plus El Shaarawy didn't even get a chance to come on the pitch who in my opinion is miles better than Iturbe.

Absolutely livid about Roma being already knocked out.

It's draw day! :D

Here's your pots:

Pot 1: Real Madrid (ESP, holders), Barcelona (ESP), Leicester City (ENG), Bayern München (GER), Juventus (ITA), Benfica (POR), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), CSKA Moskva (RUS)

Pot 2: Atlético Madrid (ESP), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Arsenal (ENG), Manchester City (ENG), Sevilla (ESP), Porto (POR), Napoli (ITA), Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Pot 3: Basel (SUI), Tottenham Hotspur (ENG), Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Lyon (FRA), PSV Eindhoven (NED), Sporting CP (POR), Club Brugge (BEL), Mönchengladbach (GER)

Pot 4: Celtic (SCO), Monaco (FRA), Beşiktaş (TUR), Legia Warszawa (POL), Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), København (DEN), Rostov (RUS)

If I could choose a group to have, I'd go for:

Leicester
Dortmund
Brugge
Celtic

Very possible we could secure EL football in that group if we continue our great home form, plus a trip to Dortmund would be fantastic.

Leicester, Porto, Brugge, Copenhagen.

Nice group for Leicester that....

CSKA, Leverkusen, Spurs, Monaco.

Will take that group, much better chance than getting drawn against Bayern and Atletico.:P

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet but rumour (if it's true it's a done deal)has it that the top 4 leagues in Europe will soon be having 4 team straight into the group stages. That's half the pot.
Confirmed.

This is bad... Half the pot is top 4's, seeding based on historical success. We can thank the big teams and their greed for this.👎

How did I know that City would get Barca or Bayern? Fixed!

Also has anyone seen the video of Roberto Carlos picking a ball up and then putting back to choose another?

How did I know that City would get Barca or Bayern? Fixed!

Also has anyone seen the video of Roberto Carlos picking a ball up and then putting back to choose another?
Yep, it's because he didn't mix the pot first. In the video he alludes to this in his language. No UEFA big bad here unfortunately, that we know of anyway. :lol:

It does make for an interesting fight for the 4th place though. If a country drops a spot, you're down 4 group stage spots in one go.

It's still absolute bullcrap though.

Back