2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
I'd fancy Leicester to beat Sevilla. Sevilla are out of their comfort zone - they're not in the Europa League.
That implies that Leicester are more equipped to deal with the Champions League last 16 than Sevilla though? :lol:

I'd love to see them keep going but I can see Sevilla squeaking it.

So then after a winter break that seemed to take forever, The Champions League is back this week with some brilliant looking games. 👍

Bayern v Arsenal tomorrow and Wenger confirms that Ospina will start ahead of Cech.

Benfica v Dortmund and PSG v Barcelona tonight.

The Catalans are being royally spanked... short of a similar capitulation from PSG next time around, I don't see them making up that deficit.

Worst Barca performance for a long time, just got ripped to shreds and looked all over the place, PSG were brilliant...

Tonight is the turn of Madrid to get spanked......please football Gods please football Gods!
Only team that got spanked tonight was Arsenal... :lol:

Real played pisspoor first 25 minutes but picked up the pace after Benz made it 1-1 in the 18th minute. Great performance to win 3-1 against a really good and hardworking Napoli team. Gonna be exciting to watch the 2nd leg.

Also, Casemiro with a contender to goal of the season! :eek::eek::eek::cheers:

6zxhIrD.jpg

Punished Wenger.
A coach denied of his trophies.​

Do feel sorry for Wenger, Bayern had a superb second have where Arsenal just crumbled

Some great goals in that game, Insigne and Casemiro goals in the Real-Napoli game were fantastic too.

Only team that got spanked tonight was Arsenal... :lol:

Real played pisspoor first 25 minutes but picked up the pace after Benz made it 1-1 in the 18th minute. Great performance to win 3-1 against a really good and hardworking Napoli team. Gonna be exciting to watch the 2nd leg.

Also, Casemiro with a contender to goal of the season! :eek::eek::eek::cheers:
Poor Arsenal. I thought it was a big mistake/risk for Sarri to start Zielinksi over Allan away to Madrid, shows his philosophy to football though. Zielinksi, Koulibaly , Ghoulam and Hysaj were pretty poor. Koulibaly does my head in as he's a beast but sometimes he looks like a Lega Pro player or worse, a pub player.

Mertens was ineffective as false 9 against a top team in a big game, Callejon was next o useless and needs a well deserved rest. Hopefully Milik will get some fitness and form for the return leg, but this situation Napoli have been caught in shows how amateur the owner is running the club, he needs a good slap after his antics yesterday too. Winding the fans up with his nonsense before the game then ripping the team and coach after the game.

It's a shame Napolis 2nd goal was offside as that was a nice build up. Anyway, on to the 2nd leg and hopefully we can do it. Gonna hang out outside Madrids hotel and keep them up all night if i can get tickets to the game. It's possible for me to get into the stadium without tickets often but not worth the risk of paying for the flight over there and be locked out of the game.

Last edited:
Apologies for missing last week....

Champions League - Last 16 (Week 2/4)

og-default.jpg

Tuesday:

Bayer 04 Leverkusen - Atletico Madrid (19:45 GMT)
Man City - Monaco (19:45 GMT)

Wednesday:

Porto - Juventus (19:45 GMT)
Sevilla - Leicester City (19:45 GMT)

Leicester don't need a good result in this game, they need a good result in the next League game, priorities!

Big game between City and Monaco, Monaco have been flying at the top of Ligue Un this season thank to the likes of Falcao, Silva and Lemar.

I feel like they put all their eggs in the Champion's League basket. They have to avoid relegation but a bad game in Sevilla tomorrow will end their Champion's League run. Who knows if they will ever be in this competition ever again...

Plus they are home to Liverpool on Monday in the PL. Best they can do is hold a draw there but it is the following league games that are the priority:

March 4th: Hull
OFF
March 18th: @ West Ham
April 1: Stoke
April 4th: Sunderland
April 8th: @ Everton
April 15th: @ Crystal Palace

Those are the league games they will have to win at least 3 from, plus they have the 2nd leg home to Sevilla March 14th.

MNC v MON is one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in years! Unbelievable.

Highlight shows are going to have difficulty keeping the highlights to a respectable time.

8 goals, 9 yellow cards and a saved penno.

Some game that, have to be honest. Guardiola had his P45 in the post at half-time but fair dues to them for sticking at it and roaring back.

Briiliant game to watch, not one for the defenders to remember fondly but the attacking displays tonight were World Class.

That rather delicious chip aside, Falcao's pen was easily one of the worst I've seen since Ramos sent his effort into orbit a few years back. My ol' Nan could've hit that with more welly!

Back