2016-2017 FA Cup

• Thread starter Famine
  • 78 comments
Arsenal beat Man City 2-1 after extra time, Chelsea v Arsenal final...

You can see why the linesman flagged it, but that cross didn't go out and City's goal should have stood.

You can see why the linesman flagged it, but that cross didn't go out and City's goal should have stood.

No way a human can see that though, even that replay angle was slightly titled. Not saying it's the correct decision mind.

@Famine Not the same situation though. A spinning high cross over the bar that was just about in, is more difficult.

IIRC - unlike offside, you don't get the benefit in the doubt with calls like that.

@Famine Not the same situation though. A spinning high cross over the bar that was just about in, is more difficult.
I'd have thought that with a white line on the ground AND a white bar directly below the ball's flight path, it would be easier...
IIRC - unlike offside, you don't get the benefit in the doubt with calls like that.
The clip I showed wasn't a question of offside, but whether the ball was over the goal line and out of play when Gary Hooper headed it back. The Championship lino got it right, the FA Cup final lino didn't.

@Famine The clip you showed is easier to judge in my opinion.

C-GthW-XsAAeBDW.jpg:large

Then again, the footage you've provided is from a terrible angle, so I'm going to take your word for it.

Then again, the footage you've provided is from a terrible angle, so I'm going to take your word for it.
We don't get as many cameras in the Championship as they do in the FA Cup Semi-Finals - but we do get as many linesmen, and ours got it right when Hooper headed the ball from almost exactly as far out as Sane's cross.

@Famine Isn't he much closer to the linesman? or is the linesman on the opposite side of the camera?
He's closer, but not exactly 'much'. Both pitches are 75 yards wide, so the point at which the ball was closest to out of play is around 8 yards closer to the Hillsborough linesman (outside the near post) than to the Wembley linesman (inside the far post) - and the Hillsborough linesman had the goal line obscured by the ball, as opposed to the clear line of sight for the Wembley one.

He just got it wrong.

A goal for City, Saw it in real time and all the replays including Howard Webb talking about it. It was a goal.
But hey no problems, congrats to Arsenal and Chelsea, Hope its a good final.
Think the players of Arsenal owe it to Wenger for the slightly poor league campaign?
And Would like to say Ox had a great game in the 2nd half. Plus a little of the first.

The final is Chelsea v Arsenal, tomorrow at 5pm on BBC One and BT Sport, ill be in work so I'm not really bothered...

Arsenal have looked the better side so far, but there has been some great football by both teams so far

I'm so happy, I can barely articulate it. After a wretched season, finally we have something to shout about :)

Congratulations to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger on winning the FA Cup.

Parts of the Arsenal fanbase have been acting disgracefully this season blood, and I'm glad to see the team put a sock in their mouth fam.

Back