2016 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Not long after the race in Austria, Formula 1 returns home to Britain. The talk in the paddock will be the crash between the Mercedes boys and also the continued debate of radio communication bans. Silverstone's weather always throws up something unique so no doubt it'll be an interesting race. It may have to compete with the final of Euro 2016 but I personally think this will be more interesting. Get ready for the 71st British Grand Prix.

silverstone-vision-map-large.jpg

SILVERSTONE

FIRST GRAND PRIX

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
5.891KM (3.661 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
306.198KM (190.263 Miles)

LAP RECORD
1:33.401, Mark Webber, Red Bull Racing, 2013

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Soft, Medium & Hard

10ef9d23d6353417b4ddf4a3624deeb0.jpg

2015 RESULT

1 Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)

2 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

3 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

2015 Fastest lap - Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:37.093 (lap 29)

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
TUESDAY - Britain 1988
WEDNESDAY - Britain 1994 & 2003
THURSDAY - Britain 2008
SUNDAY - Britain 1986​

Not long after the race in Austria, Formula 1 returns home to Britain. The talk in the paddock will be the crash between the Mercedes boys and also the continued debate of radio communication bans. Silverstone's weather always throws up something unique so no doubt it'll be an interesting race. It may have to compete with the final of Euro 2016 but I personally think this will be more interesting.​
Don't worry, the races can't last more than 4 hours now. ;)

Lies, Lies and Slander.

How can it not rain in the UK?

I live in one of the luckier, drier parts of the UK and yet it has still rained literally every day for the past 3-4 weeks. Past couple of days have been ok, may be the summer finally decided to arrive albeit a month or two late.

Okay. Brexit and the chilcot report is Hamilton's fault as well. Does that about cover it?
If the race is boring or not as good as last year it must be Hamilton's fault too.

I think that's about all the bases covered. Hopefully.

A few short, sharp showers throughout the race could give us one of those great races. Slicks > Inters > Slicks > Inters > Slicks. Been a while since we've had that kind of race.

Lies, Lies and Slander.

How can it not rain in the UK?

It was the wettest June on record and rained almost constantly the entire month...

... now the Sun's out and summer has arrived right in time for the British GP :ouch:

On another note why is our main grandstand still a glorified pop up gazebo? It's is so embarrassing facing the wonderful pit complex.

The Brexit Discount! This year, 10% off weekend tickets, food and camping*

*Only applies to Eurozone customers.

On another note why is our main grandstand still a glorified pop up gazebo? It's is so embarrassing facing the wonderful pit complex.

As their signage and merchandising (used to) say.. "BECAUSE IT'S SILVERSTONE"

The BRDC don't tend to sit in the Grandstands, so they don't really give a crap.

@SVT Cobra GT If only Silverstone lived up to that track map.

Last edited:
On another note why is our main grandstand still a glorified pop up gazebo?

They ran out of pennies. Proper grandstands don't come cheap so, in the best of British fashion, we've got temporary stands with a gazebo.

They ran out of pennies. Proper grandstands don't come cheap so, in the best of British fashion, we've got temporary stands with a gazebo.

It's been there 5 years now, I hope temporary really does mean temporary.

A simple concrete tiered grandstand with an undulating roof mimicking that of the pit complex wouldn't be all that difficult and costly to build. They have to have made some money after hosting half a decade of events.

We may have the mend and make do spirit but Silverstone represents the UK on a global stage and it's an image that matters more than ever now! Compared to other tracks on the calendar it just look a bit naff having a plastic sheet with some polls holding it up... and what’s worse is the polls obstruct the view!

It's been there 5 years now, I hope temporary really does mean temporary.

A simple concrete tiered grandstand with an undulating roof mimicking that of the pit complex wouldn't be all that difficult and costly to build. They have to have made some money after hosting half a decade of events.

We may have the mend and make do spirit but Silverstone represents the UK on a global stage and it's an image that matters more than ever now! Compared to other tracks on the calendar it just look a bit naff having a plastic sheet with some polls holding it up... and what’s worse is the polls obstruct the view!

As long as they keep selling tickets I doubt they'll have much inclination to build a proper stand. I mean it's not like they bothered on the old pit straight either. You'll never see something like Catalunya or Hoekenheim.

Silverstone are trying to save money and balance the books at the moment. The last thing they need is a big spend on a grandstand.

Silverstone are trying to save money and balance the books at the moment. The last thing they need is a big spend on a grandstand.

They've signed a contract which dictates the cost of hosting the F1 will rise every year, and they're already making a loss on it, so I see where you are coming from, but personally, Silverstone as a venue puts me off paying to attend the events there. It's a shame that of all the things they are trying to do to cover their overheads, the experience for people paying the ridiculous ticket prices is likely to be the last thing on the agenda.

Just my humble opinion of course.

The prices are so high because Bernie's squeezing of money is so tight that the only money circuits actually get from the event is the entry fee of fans, everything else spent at the circuits go straight into Burnt EcclesCake's pocket

Back