2016 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

I'll make a judgement call when I see it happen. Not before.
I'll take this to mean that you don't want to answer because if there is something that is technically within the rules but is otherwise unsportsmanlike, then other things - including deliberately slowing a title rival down - that are within the rules but are equally unsporting.

I don't know how you can keep defending Hamilton. He has been involved in more questionable on-track behaviour than all of the other drivers on the grid combined.

Hamilton is a brilliant race driver (just not as good as Nico this season) but after his ignoring team orders to pick up the pace regardless if we agree with his tactics or not I believe he has narrowed down his chances of employment from F1 team chiefs, regardless of how quick he is.
If I was a possible employer for him I would be thinking along the lines of who wants a player who thinks he is bigger than the team?
No player is bigger than the team and by Lewis ignoring orders and choosing Lewis in front of the team although we can see his reasoning he in my eyes sends out the message I am bigger than Mercedes and don't have to listen to Paddy or Toto or anyone else.
End of the day first rule in employment is don't pi*s off the boss. It will always come back and bite you on the rear.

That image of the 2017 car with those fat tyres looks crazy reminds me of the old advert this one

Hamilton is a brilliant race driver (just not as good as Nico this season) but after his ignoring team orders to pick up the pace regardless if we agree with his tactics or not I believe he has narrowed down his chances of employment from F1 team chiefs, regardless of how quick he is.
If I was a possible employer for him I would be thinking along the lines of who wants a player who thinks he is bigger than the team?
No player is bigger than the team and by Lewis ignoring orders and choosing Lewis in front of the team although we can see his reasoning he in my eyes sends out the message I am bigger than Mercedes and don't have to listen to Paddy or Toto or anyone else.
End of the day first rule in employment is don't pi*s off the boss. It will always come back and bite you on the rear.

That image of the 2017 car with those fat tyres looks crazy reminds me of the old advert this one

Oh come on, it's not like he was potentially throwing away a constructors championship. They had everything in the bag, they'd won 18 races out of 20, I'm pretty sure the other team bosses would understand what he did. He's still Lewis Hamilton, a very talented 3x champion.

It's not like sales of Mercedes would've tanked because they only won 18/21 races instead of 19. They're known as current dominators of F1 regardless and this is supposed to be entertainment, not run by men in suits.

I was surprised when Lauda of all people said this:

"Mercedes has to win, in the most secure way, these races. In the end it was only exciting, but not secure. So in the end we gave him an order, speed up.

Mercedes doesn't have to win all the races. They absolutely did not need that win, the fans however needed entertainment.

A team at least has strategic options to get out of the situation. Say Verstappen is trying to back Vettel into Ricciardo; Ferrari would at least be able to pit Vettel and go for an undercut, or change Räikkönen's strategy to force Red Bull to think ahead.
Unless the pit stops are all done and it's at the end of the race. Like in Abu Dhabi. And Mexico...

Oh come on, it's not like he was potentially throwing away a constructors championship. They had everything in the bag, they'd won 18 races out of 20, I'm pretty sure the other team bosses would understand what he did. He's still Lewis Hamilton, a very talented 3x champion.

It's not like sales of Mercedes would've tanked because they only won 18/21 races instead of 19. They're known as current dominators of F1 regardless and this is supposed to be entertainment, not run by men in suits.

I was surprised when Lauda of all people said this:

Mercedes doesn't have to win all the races. They absolutely did not need that win, the fans however needed entertainment.

Completely agree with what your saying I was not referring to throwing away championships or possibly causing Mercedes sales reducing (I am still blown away why Mercs sell so well I have had two and both were terrible).
I was referring to Lewis giving the impression he puts Lewis first and the team second.
All drivers want to win and all drivers would most probably do tactics to try and win a championship but to disobey team orders especially when told the 2nd time by Paddy gives the impression he thinks he is bigger than the team and that won't wash well with anyone.
I get the impression Lauda is not a fan of Lewis's I could be wrong, just the impression I get.
I am surprised if Lauda said that Toto or Paddy didn't say your wrong we want to win every race 1&2.

Completely agree with what your saying I was not referring to throwing away championships or possibly causing Mercedes sales reducing (I am still blown away why Mercs sell so well I have had two and both were terrible).
I was referring to Lewis giving the impression he puts Lewis first and the team second.
All drivers want to win and all drivers would most probably do tactics to try and win a championship but to disobey team orders especially when told the 2nd time by Paddy gives the impression he thinks he is bigger than the team and that won't wash well with anyone.
I get the impression Lauda is not a fan of Lewis's I could be wrong, just the impression I get.
I am surprised if Lauda said that Toto or Paddy didn't say your wrong we want to win every race 1&2.

I definitely agree. The fact that Toto has expressed he felt what Lewis did was an unacceptable risk in the teams eyes, and that he hasn't ruled out some sort of consequence for it means his attitude is very undesirable. Nothing truly bad happened, like Spain this year for example, but the risk was still there.

Also, I commented on the FB post sharing the 2017 calendar expressing how I feel Abu Dhabi should possibly happen after Bahrain. Returning Brazil to the finale would be great, and to my surprise over 200 people liked the comment. So I guess I'm not alone in that thinking. People made the point though that the event organizers apparently paid up to get that special finale position in the calendar. I definitely missed the news on those details when it happened those short few years ago.

I want to believe moving a date of a race must be some degree easier than removing a race, no? That way a compromise is met so that the rich organizers and investors don't lose it.

Back