2016 Formula 1 Grand Premio de MexicoFormula 1 

Only Daniel Ricciardo could spit on Lee Mckenzie, wipe it off her cheek and still have her think it's cute!

Along with the forced shoe drinking I think he's got boundary issues :lol:

You must scoff at literally every single driver during every race across the entire season then, no?

Mmmyes probably. But since we were talking about Rosberg.. :) Seriously though, sometimes he wants his team to shut up when given info and in other times he asks why no info is given..

Do you understand that argument is completely irrelevant when we're talking about 30+ points which were lost due to circumstances beyond the driver's control?
Yes, I do. But I can also make the argument that Hamilton lost just as many points through driver error.

If Hamilton loses by 30+/- points it will be a direct penalty from his mechanical issues
Or a penalty from his mistakes. You seem intent on ignoring the laundry list of errors that he has made. It's pretty obvious that you think Hamilton should be champion and that he's being robbed of it because of his mechanical issues, and so you're ignoring the mistakes he has madd.

It's simple math buddy.
Here's some more simple math, buddy: Hamilton started from second in Japan. He was eighth by the first corner, and it wasn't the result of a mechanical failure. He lost six places because of his own mistake.

The end of the race he lost 1 spot, so I can see why others see it as not an actual loss compared to engine failure with a handful of laps to go, and mechanical failures causing him to start dead last. Now the starting last was still managed and he finished 3rd so that too can't be argued all that much. Sure it could be said that had Hamilton not had a bad start he may have been leading at best or finished second at worst, but in those odds, he limited damage done by his hands with a third. Same with starting last, sure he could have had no failures that led to penalties and thus started first like he had many times in the season, but limited it again by finishing third. It was further limited by clever loop holes from his team.

Really to me the only true misnomer is Malaysia, and other mechanical gremlins early on, but any domination by Nico must be thought of as him doing better than Lewis. 2014 to me had far more mechanical issues between the two and that season I could see the argument being made had Nico won. But there has been enough moments for Lewis to keep some control to not have this deficit. In reality it's a 26 point gap right now, so people will easily see that and say "had malaysia not gone that way, they'd be neck and neck"

Mega performance by Hülkenberg, hopefully he converts it into a good finish.

You mean hopefully (as I knock on wood typing this), he doesn't have the bad luck he's had many times this season by crashing or being crashed out in the first few laps.

Yes, I do. But I can also make the argument that Hamilton lost just as many points through driver error.

Or a penalty from his mistakes. You seem intent on ignoring the laundry list of errors that he has made. It's pretty obvious that you think Hamilton should be champion and that he's being robbed of it because of his mechanical issues, and so you're ignoring the mistakes he has madd.

Here's some more simple math, buddy: Hamilton started from second in Japan. He was eighth by the first corner, and it wasn't the result of a mechanical failure. He lost six places because of his own mistake.

Sure thing, Prisoner Monkeys. I'll bow to your omnipotent knowledge of motorsport. Carry on, pal.

I'll bow to your omnipotent knowledge of motorsport.
That sentence doesn't make any sense. For one, "omnipotent" means "capable of everything", so I think you mean "omniscient", which means "knowing everything". But then you get "omniscient knowledge", which is tautology. So the sentence becomes "I'll bow to your omniscience of motorsport", but that's not really a sentence.

Carry on, pal.
Thank you, I shall. I'll continue to believe that the person who comes to be World Champion should be the driver who proves to be the best driver over the course of the season, and that if a driver frequently makes mistakes, then they're clearly not the best.

I'd be making the same argument if Rosberg had blown and engine and was 30 points behind Hamilton (you probably wouldn't, I understand).

No you wouldn't. Or if you would, you also should consider that Rosberg lost 25 points in Spain because Hamilton decided to go for a gap that didn't exist, braked on the grass and wiped him out.

The popular counter argument is that Rosberg caused it himself by making a mistake on the exit of the previous corner and then closing the door on the entry of the next one. Surely enough that's what happened but he was still in front going into that corner and I don't think it's his job to be a nice guy and hand the lead over because he made a mistake. He was in the front, it was Hamilton's problem to find a way around him.

Another one is that "anything could have happened during the race, those 25 points weren't guaranteed" but the same goes for all of Hamilton's technical problems. For all we know he could have put the car into the wall in each of those races if it had stayed in running condition long enough for him to do it.

Before anyone asks, yes I want Rosberg to win the title. Just because Hamilton genuinely thinks he's the king of the Mercedes team and everyone else must yield as he takes the championship he's entitled to. Hell no he isn't.

@Greycap it was ruled a racing incident for a reason, also Hamilton also lost a potential 25 points...so why you decided to take a trip several months in the past is beyond me. The simple argument of frequent Hamilton screw ups on starts compared to the past 2 years is enough to show how Rosberg has done enough to have the lead despite a failure or mechanical penalties.

My only other question is your argument of extremes. A swamprat could have been sucked into a brake duct and ended Hamilton's race, two birds taking in the sights on track could have caused Hamilton to spin out. I mean anything could have happened, but the more likely conclusion which can be used is he'd have won. Just like Rosberg would have when his engine went last year at a critical point.

Really to me the only true misnomer is Malaysia, and other mechanical gremlins early on, but any domination by Nico must be thought of as him doing better than Lewis.
I have an idea: let's cancel the championship for the next seven years, and award all of the race wins and championship titles to Hamilton now. That way, he's a ten-time champion and nobody can dispute it. In fact, let's take it even further - we'll cancel all motorsport and award the race wins and titles to Hamilton. So he'll be the Formula One, WRC, BTCC, NASCAR, Bathurst, MotoGP, WSBK, World RX, WTCC, DTM and Dakar champion. And in the future, anyone who wins nine titles will be forced to retire immediately so that nobody can ever challenge Hamilton as The Greatest Driver In History.

I have an idea: let's cancel the championship for the next seven years, and award all of the race wins and championship titles to Hamilton now. That way, he's a ten-time champion and nobody can dispute it. In fact, let's take it even further - we'll cancel all motorsport and award the race wins and titles to Hamilton. So he'll be the Formula One, WRC, BTCC, NASCAR, Bathurst, MotoGP, WSBK, World RX, WTCC, DTM and Dakar champion. And in the future, anyone who wins nine titles will be forced to retire immediately so that nobody can ever challenge Hamilton as The Greatest Driver In History.

I mean if you want to, go ahead. Clearly you are not understanding something within my post...sorry for your loss?

Maybe it's because I grew up watching rallying, but mechanical failures are part of racing. If your car doesn't have the occasional failure it means you aren't trying hard enough, and while Mercedes F1 have had an easy run of it the past couple years they're still going to have mistakes.
Neither of these 2 moments were "fair" either, but that doesn't change the results:

Maybe it's because I grew up watching rallying, but mechanical failures are part of racing. If your car doesn't have the occasional failure it means you aren't trying hard enough, and while Mercedes F1 have had an easy run of it the past couple years they're still going to have mistakes.
Neither of these 2 moments were "fair" either, but that doesn't change the results:

Which is fine, as I said prior (not sure if you're posting in general I assume you are). Lewis had chances to make wins happen and didn't and the best moments that come to mind are Italy and Japan. Had he won we'd be looking at a 12 point gap right now. Thus the argument of a single failure as I said and @prisonermonkeys failed to understand for whatever reason, even after he quoted me giving Nico praise, is it's a non-argument of sorts. Sure it would have made the gap 1 point right now, but all that does is cover the fact that Lewis had a mistake before the failure and after.

I was responding to something that you said early this morning (my time), but when I came back to it a few hours later, I couldn't find it.

Then it wasn't me, I haven't deleted or edited (unless a typo) any of my posts. So not sure what you saw but you didn't see it, and surely not from what you quoted.

Another F1 thread heads down the toilet. How about we talk about this race weekend for a change? It looks like Red Bull really could take it to Merc, starting on the SS should give the early advantage and if last year is anything to go by overtaking may be hard. Plus they'll have the natural undercut which Merc could counter but then they lose the advantage of starting on soft. Could be interesting.

It looks like Red Bull really could take it to Merc
I wouldn't get too carried away. Both Ricciardo and Verstappen seem to be at a loss to explain where their pace is coming from. Ricciardo in particular looks really uncomfortable with the balance of the car.

Another F1 thread heads down the toilet. How about we talk about this race weekend for a change? It looks like Red Bull really could take it to Merc, starting on the SS should give the early advantage and if last year is anything to go by overtaking may be hard. Plus they'll have the natural undercut which Merc could counter but then they lose the advantage of starting on soft. Could be interesting.

I don't see it so bad this time, there is a real talking point about the championship and thus people will naturally debate it. As for the race itself. I feel RBR can fight Mercedes, but don't know much else nor does anyone for that matter. FI randomly had great pace in one driver but not the other, Ferrari had pace and then lost it with Vettel summing it up as the slower tire was actually giving faster times "which is crazy it shouldn't work like that" (paraphrasing him). And RBR don't seem to have a clue on long run pace or at least haven't given ideas on how that'll go. Even Mercedes are at a loss on how Rosberg had trouble getting his tires to warm up for so long but his team mate didn't. It's a very confusing race if one is looking at it from where everyone sits performance wise.

It's a very confusing race if one is looking at it from where everyone sits performance wise
And to make it more interesting, it's a long drag from the start line to the first corner - long enough that you get a second bite at the apple if you botch the first phase of the start. It's also wide enough to go four abreast, so you can't defend by blocking.

Thanks for reminding me about this heartbreaker :( RIP #5

You mean hopefully (as I knock on wood typing this), he doesn't have the bad luck he's had many times this season by crashing or being crashed out in the first few laps.

That or getting screwed over by pit strategy. I'm actually slightly more interested in how many places Sergio Pérez gains on the start.

Errr is the race in 18 minutes? Cuz that's what F1.com says but NBC isn't showing the race until 3(1 hr 18 min)

Back