2016 Formula 1 Großer Preis von Österreich

What do you think Rosberg was trying to do? The whole point in running deep into the corner was to put Hamilton in a position where he couldn't stay on the circuit and complete the pass.
That's what I like to call dirty. It's against the rules to force a car off the track, as far as I know. It's not up to Lewis to stop at the track edge when he's entitled to racing room.

What do you think Rosberg was trying to do? The whole point in running deep into the corner was to put Hamilton in a position where he couldn't stay on the circuit and complete the pass.
You have to give another driver racing room especially when he's on the racing line and ahead.

They have to pay to make new bits that weren't necessarily due for replacement?

They have plenty of parts they churn out, and in reality they're not losing all that much money to run an already paid for composites machine. The comment is as if they're about to run out of money. I mean if a money strapped Lotus could run Crashtor Maldonado for as long as they did, I'm sure one of the top two expensive teams can do it just fine.

If any thing the publicity to the brand due to such incidents probably brings them money than anything. A team with two drivers tangling together and yet still winning...almost sells itself really.

If being on the outside and expecting that the car you're trying to pass somehow won't be there when you turn in is a legitimate move, then so too is deliberately diving deep into the corner to force your opponent to back out or run wide.

If you're on the outside you have to turn in at some point, Hamilton waited as long as he could and he told Channel 4 when he did turn in he expected Ros to have already done so, and he could try and straighten up and get a run into 3. Only Rosberg hadn't turned in, he went straight and gave no room to Ham.

Hamilton was sufficiently alongside Rosberg that he was entitled to space, as the stewards also found based on the rules. But apparently they are wrong and Hamilton should have not been there, and his fault that Rosberg hit him.

You seem to think your beliefs are above the rulebook, and it's not the first time.

If being on the outside and expecting that the car you're trying to pass somehow won't be there when you turn in is a legitimate move, then so too is deliberately diving deep into the corner to force your opponent to back out or run wide.

Oh come on. You cannot be serious. How does someone who usually posts intelligent and thought provoking posts elsewhere on this site become a totally different blind hate boy in every F1 thread?

Oh come on. You cannot be serious. How does someone who usually posts intelligent and thought provoking posts elsewhere on this site become a totally different blind hate boy in every F1 thread?

I ask myself that every time I seem him rain down hate on various drivers/riders as if almost to bring controversy for entertainment sake. Either that or he has issues...cause it really doesn't hold up to logic with how you've explained it and many of us seen him behave. Or we give him too much credit for the posts that he does make with logic and not blind hate.

By running someone off the road?
Apparently it was perfectly acceptable when Hamilton did it to him in Canada.

The defensive line into that corner starts on the inside, cuts across the apex, and ends with you on the outside. It forces the other driver to back off or run wide.

The offensive line that Hamilton took only really works if you're so far ahead that you have already won the position, or slightly behind so that you can slip under the other guy by turning in early and getting enough traction to steal the inside line.

In this case, Hamilton wasn't far enough ahead of Rosberg to already have the place, and too far ahead to slip under him. The only way it was going to work was if they went side-by-side through the corner, which was never going to happen.

Let's use a PM argument:
None of which are the corner in question.

The defensive line into that corner starts on the inside, cuts across the apex, and ends with you on the outside. It forces the other driver to back off or run wide.

Yeah, so when was Nico ever on the inside?

The offensive line that Hamilton took only really works if you're so far ahead that you have already won the position, or slightly behind so that you can slip under the other guy by turning in early and getting enough traction to steal the inside line.

In this case, Hamilton wasn't far enough ahead of Rosberg to already have the place, and too far ahead to slip under him. The only way it was going to work was if they went side-by-side through the corner, which was never going to happen.

Hamilton was actually ahead under braking. Nico left Lewis no room.

I actually don't know if you are deliberately trolling now. Have you not figured out that it's you against nearly every other user here and the FIA? A good man knows when he's beaten and to quit and give up.

EDIT: A picture I found for PM.
13606778_1116913698365589_7381516153230926990_n.jpg

All Hamilton has to do in his life right now (and for the last 2 seasons) is beat Nico, he must go home with such massive smile on his face as he's basically racing against one man and that man is Nico....
You make it sound so easy.

I actually think it's going to be a tough job for Hamilton to win this years WDC. I mean let's face it, Nico is most definitely a worthy opponent, so are other drivers. They just don't have the same machinery. Nico also still has the points advantage, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

As a Hamilton fan, my fingers are (obviously) crossed for him to reach his goal. I doubt it will be easy though.

How long are you going to ignore the fact that Hamilton has to be given racing room?

Wh

What I cannot understand is why after all the evidence showned and after reviewing the carbon copy pass made by Rosberg on Hülkenberg on lap 6 and in the same turn in the same manor and after Rosberg having been deemed responsible for the collision by the stewards after examining video and telemetry evidence, and having heard from Rosberg, Hamilton and representatives from Mercedes. Why do so many users here keep trying to reason with you or even take you seriously.

As someone that isn't a Hamilton fan, and never gives him the benefit of the doubt, this was clearly Rosberg's bad. It seemed pretty clear that Rosberg was trying to run Hamilton off-track, he should have shot for the apex, but instead decided not to leave Hamilton any space.

It's good that Lewis didn't jump right into accusing Nico, and I feel his victory was earned. I've wanted Nico to win the championship over Lewis for the past few years, but after this morning, Lewis has earned some points with me, and Nico has lost some.

I can sort of see what Rosberg was trying to do. He wasn't trying to hit the apex, he was trying to drive the middle and hold Hamilton to the outside of the track. Probably it would have then been a straight drag race afterwards, and Rosberg has a decent chance in T3 as he has the inside. It was a decent idea, and probably the only real defense that would have held Hamilton off.

I'm still not entirely sure that he stuffed it up. There was plenty of room for Hamilton on the outside when the crash happened, and I think the two of them probably could have gotten through the corner two wide without crossing the white lines had Hamilton not just decided that it was time to turn in. On the other hand, I have no idea how much if any of Rosberg's car Hamilton can actually see in that situation, so it may be that Rosberg should have known that Hamilton was just going to turn in at some point.

I'm not sure it's particularly clear cut for me. It was a totally legal if somewhat odd defense from Rosberg. It was a totally understandable move from Hamilton, especially if he can't see Rosberg. Racing incident? Something that probably shouldn't have happened given that the two of them are team mates and should be putting a team 1-2 before individual performance? Hard to say.

The one thing I didn't like was Hamilton flying back onto the circuit at full pace straight into Rosberg. I get that he's pissed off in that situation, but that very nearly ended the race for both of them. Rejoin cleanly and safely and let the stewards penalise Rosberg if necessary.

Hamilton is clearly at fault guys. View attachment 565255

The thing is, there's no rule that you have to go for the apex in every corner. Just that you have to leave the other guy room. If someone wants to drive through the middle of a corner because that's what they think gives them the best defense, then that's legit.

While Rosberg may or may not have stuffed up the move, in general there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone driving a corner like in your image, as long as the guy on the outside has room. At that moment of impact, you could fit another car between Hamilton and the white line.

I don't think I'd pin fault on Hamilton, but I'm not sold that Rosberg actually did anything wrong.

If you were watching NBCSN coverage, Matchett called the incident a few laps before it ever began, saying it was to Rosberg's advantage if neither Mercedes driver finished rather than letting Lewis by and to watch for a potential takedown.
I thought I had heard something like that. I checked and a few laps before the incident:
The last thing Rosberg will want to do here is let Hamilton by. It would almost be better for Rosberg's championship hopes that they both failed to finish this race, frankly.
Then after the incident:
There it is! There it is! That's exactly what I was thinking!
That's exactly what Rosberg was thinking. It is best that we don't finish this race.
You could see that coming three laps before.
That almost makes up for NBC running a side-by-side commercial from Lap 63 to 66. I actually like hearing the NBC crew but that was annoying.
I can sort of see what Rosberg was trying to do. He wasn't trying to hit the apex, he was trying to drive the middle and hold Hamilton to the outside of the track. Probably it would have then been a straight drag race afterwards, and Rosberg has a decent chance in T3 as he has the inside. It was a decent idea, and probably the only real defense that would have held Hamilton off.

I'm still not entirely sure that he stuffed it up. There was plenty of room for Hamilton on the outside when the crash happened, and I think the two of them probably could have gotten through the corner two wide without crossing the white lines had Hamilton not just decided that it was time to turn in. On the other hand, I have no idea how much if any of Rosberg's car Hamilton can actually see in that situation, so it may be that Rosberg should have known that Hamilton was just going to turn in at some point.

I'm not sure it's particularly clear cut for me. It was a totally legal if somewhat odd defense from Rosberg. It was a totally understandable move from Hamilton, especially if he can't see Rosberg. Racing incident? Something that probably shouldn't have happened given that the two of them are team mates and should be putting a team 1-2 before individual performance? Hard to say.

The one thing I didn't like was Hamilton flying back onto the circuit at full pace straight into Rosberg. I get that he's pissed off in that situation, but that very nearly ended the race for both of them. Rejoin cleanly and safely and let the stewards penalise Rosberg if necessary.

The thing is, there's no rule that you have to go for the apex in every corner. Just that you have to leave the other guy room. If someone wants to drive through the middle of a corner because that's what they think gives them the best defense, then that's legit.

While Rosberg may or may not have stuffed up the move, in general there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone driving a corner like in your image, as long as the guy on the outside has room. At that moment of impact, you could fit another car between Hamilton and the white line.

I don't think I'd pin fault on Hamilton, but I'm not sold that Rosberg actually did anything wrong.
Even if we assume that Rosberg's tactic was legal, he executed it poorly. Rosberg should've crowded him all the way to the left approaching T2. That way, it not only makes it clearer for Hamilton his intentions but it also minimizes the approach angle in case of contact.

Poorly executed move by Rosberg, but at least he's getting tougher and is prepared to play dirty if he needs to.

I'm sure the Hamilton fans haven't forgotten about the fact that Ham fails to leave Rosberg any room and even pushes him off the road all the time. Only difference is Hamilton does a much better job of it whereas Nico made it way too obvious.

Even if we assume that Rosberg's tactic was legal, he executed it poorly. Rosberg should've crowded him all the way to the left approaching T2. That way, it not only makes it clearer for Hamilton his intentions but it also minimizes the approach angle in case of contact.

I can agree with that. Especially as it's very common for the inside driver to crowd someone to the outside when they're alongside in the braking zone like that.

I'm not saying that particular example of the move was perfect, just that there's nothing wrong with the tactic in general. Outbraking someone up the inside can go wrong and result in an incident too, and that's totally accepted as legitimate. What Rosberg was trying here is more unusual, but apart from poor execution I can't see anything wrong with it. And even the execution is more a failure of communicating to the other driver what was going on than anything, which I have trouble wholly assigning to Rosberg. When both cars are alongside they should both be required to be aware of where the other is, and Hamilton by his own admission didn't know. When impact occurred he had plenty of room, had he wanted it.

Seems like a case of both of them trying too hard to me. And they've both been dicks to each other enough times that now neither one wants to show weakness.

Not knowing the full extent of his supposed brake by wire issues, I think this is Rosberg's fault.

Also fair play to Wehrlein on that drive today, has really got himself noticed.👍

My dislike of Hamilton may be irrational, but it's only as irrational as some of the support that Hamilton gets. Look at Ted Kravitz, who spent most of the race insisting that Mercedes' plan was to have Rosberg and Hamilton swap positions - even after it was pointed out to him that Nasr had only done 40 laps on the soft tyre, therefore making Hamilton's projected 51 laps as unreasonable as Rosberg's projected 61. Why does it surprise you that there are some people who detest him as much as there are people who adore him?

I can agree with that. Especially as it's very common for the inside driver to crowd someone to the outside when they're alongside in the braking zone like that.

I'm not saying that particular example of the move was perfect, just that there's nothing wrong with the tactic in general. Outbraking someone up the inside can go wrong and result in an incident too, and that's totally accepted as legitimate. What Rosberg was trying here is more unusual, but apart from poor execution I can't see anything wrong with it. And even the execution is more a failure of communicating to the other driver what was going on than anything, which I have trouble wholly assigning to Rosberg. When both cars are alongside they should both be required to be aware of where the other is, and Hamilton by his own admission didn't know. When impact occurred he had plenty of room, had he wanted it.

Seems like a case of both of them trying too hard to me. And they've both been dicks to each other enough times that now neither one wants to show weakness.
Had Rosberg executed what you had described to perfection, I'm hesitant to say that the stewards would've approved it anyways. It's well known that they allow drivers to run off their competitors at corner exit. Naughty and it draws the ire of some fans but it's a common occurrence. The key, however, is to give a reasonable impression that you are giving your competitor the room to maneuver until the last moment. Using that tactic is pretty much saying they're allowing someone to block an overtaking car from even turning for a corner until they're off track. To me, that's a bad precedent but that's just my opinion.

Back