2016 Le Mans 24 Hours - 15th to 19th June 2016

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,302 comments
Thinking about it now, how many times has Toyota gotten 2nd place due to 🤬 luck. It seems they always get the short end of the stick during 24 Hours of Le Mans. Whether it was during the Group C era, The GTP era, and now the P1 era.. Toyota always had the better machine but can never seem to make it win at one of the most prestigious Endurance races.

Thinking about it now, how many times has Toyota gotten 2nd place due to 🤬 luck. It seems they always get the short end of the stick during 24 Hours of Le Mans. Whether it was during the Group C era, The GTP era, and now the P1 era.. Toyota always had the better machine but can never seem to make it win at one of the most prestigious Endurance races.

You just can't beat German engineering.

Adding to the list of things I learned from this race: If Toyota loses in a heartbreaking fashion, e-badasses from all brands seem to come out of nowhere to go after anyone and everyone who doesn't support the brand they support. I mean, it was a shocker, but damn..... Why did the thread have to go full soap opera at the end?

The whole ambience of this thread kinda sums it up perfectly. Unlike other years, there was no cheering, no torrent of messages at the same time saying "Good race, yeah, nice win, thank you all for keeping me company! It was fun staying up with all of you GTP!". It's been the first time in the four or five Le Mans' that I've spent here that goes this way.

Anyways, thank you all for your company regardless of our disagreements. GTP always makes this race even more special for me and this year was no exception...although the race was specially disheartening! :lol:

Don't mean to bring in Nationality stereotypes, but it was always going to be an Italian to do something awesome like that. :lol:

Screwini la polizia! :lol:

I am 🤬 proud of Toyota. We did an awesome, awesome job. Nothing can take that away from us.

We might not be standing on top of the podium today, but we won the fans. We gave the world a race that will go down in history.

Be proud guys.

TS050 banner.jpg

Bo
I am 🤬 proud of Toyota. We did an awesome, awesome job. Nothing can take that away from us.

We might not be standing on top of the podium today, but we won the fans. We gave the world a race that will go down in history.

Be proud guys.

View attachment 560338

That's what's called a "Moral victory".

And to some of us, that's the only type of victory that matters at all.

You just can't beat German engineering.

Probably goes to show just what Peugeot managed in 2009. Since their 1993 win they are the only ones to win it with a car that is not even slightly German.

Ever since Dauer loopholed their way in Toyota have gotten the shaft. In all forms of motorsport, actually, not just at Le Mans. It's the sort of thing that must drive them to madness.

Hoping to see a good few more contenders in LMP1 in the distant future. Somebody has got to break the stranglehold again eventually.

Hoping to see a good few more contenders in LMP1 in the distant future. Somebody has got to break the stranglehold again eventually.

If McLaren would stop playing and Peugeot stop being so nitpicky, I feel someone can dethrone the reigning German manufacturers.

Peugeot broke up the streak in 2009.

Oh my mistake, I was thinking they got 2nd but I might've been thinking about 2010. Thanks for correcting that.

no torrent of messages at the same time saying "Good race, yeah, nice win, thank you all for keeping me company! It was fun staying up with all of you GTP!". It's been the first time in the four or five Le Mans' that I've spent here that goes this way.
Mostly those comments come when people leave the thread for good.
Which will be the case for me now and even with some disagreements I gotta say that I enjoyed the chats going on here while the race was on, just like every year. For me it's always a lot of fun to be in the Le Mans thread while watching the race.

All 60 cars in the field deserves a win equally. It's just that it's at disappointing for a team to lose everything in the last few moments. Congrats to Porsche, Alpine, and Ford for their class wins. But the people who will be remembered will be Toyota.

"Heartbroken" - Toyota

Ever since Dauer loopholed their way in Toyota have gotten the shaft. In all forms of motorsport, actually, not just at Le Mans. It's the sort of thing that must drive them to madness.

Multiple WRC wins, record pikes peak, NASCAR championship and on and on... they haven't been shafted, just at Le Mans sadly.

Well, this thread was fun, from the anime phase at 1 AM EST to the bashing of Porsche, Ford, Ferrari, and LMP2 drivers/cars, this was fun

PS, for the Toyota guys, hope this makes you feel better :sly:

All 60 cars in the field deserves a win equally. It's just that it's at disappointing for a team to lose everything in the last few moments. Congrats to Porsche, Alpine, and Ford for their class wins. But the people who will be remembered will be Toyota.

"Heartbroken" - Toyota

"Just go write something real-quick on Twitter and join us for the collective suicide".

The Toyota pits must be like Jonestown at this point :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Welp it was a fun 24 hrs despite the heartbreaking ending, Toyota are the heroes of this year's race, their day will hopefully come. Hope everyone has a great day and happy father's day! :cheers::gtpflag:

BoP was a mess in GTE Pro. But it is what it is. No point bitching about it now cause the race is over, and hopefully the ACO doesn't royally botch it next year. They can't get it right every year.

I cannot believe what I just saw. I mean, I'm a fan of J-pop, so it would be nice for Toyota to win...until what I heard was just unreal.

Cannot script ever more than this - and something that Toyota will really forget about.

Congratulations once again to Porsche (after one of the cars went out of contention, which made doubts whether Porsche can win again), but I have to really feel very sorry about what happened with Toyota in the final minutes of the race. :(

Anyways, I haven't been really tracking very much with Le Mans (especially skipping for the past 15 HOURS with no idea what happened)...but even then the final five minutes may have pretty much summed up the 2016 edition of the 24-hour race.

0.35% of the race in time (5 minutes out of 1,440, the number of minutes in 24 hours) = the majority of the drama factor here at Le Mans 2016.

Does anybody know what happened with the #1 Porsche early in the race that put themselves out of contention?

Can someone give me a recap of what happened in the last hour of the race? Use spoiler tags, please.

I cannot believe what I just saw. I mean, I'm a fan of J-pop, so it would be nice for Toyota to win...until what I heard was just unreal.

Cannot script ever more than this - and something that Toyota will really forget about.

Congratulations once again to Porsche (after one of the cars went out of contention, which made doubts whether Porsche can win again), but I have to really feel very sorry about what happened with Toyota in the final minutes of the race. :(

Anyways, I haven't been really tracking very much with Le Mans (especially skipping for the past 15 HOURS with no idea what happened)...but even then the final five minutes may have pretty much summed up the 2016 edition of the 24-hour race.

0.35% of the race in time (5 minutes out of 1,440, the number of minutes in 24 hours) = the majority of the drama factor here at Le Mans 2016.

Does anybody know what happened with the #1 Porsche early in the race that put themselves out of contention?

Water pump failure I believe.

Back