• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 163 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/03/nissan-teases-new-pickup-twitter-video/

Nissan-Pickup.jpeg

Will be interesting to see if any of this truck translates to the new Frontier.

I guess the Frontier has gotten a bit old, but this seems to be the size of the Titan.
Not sure how you can tell that. I agree that the Frontier and Titan are long due for replacement, but they are coming within the next couple years. Titan should be shown in Detroit in January. Don't expect this Navara to be representative of the Frontier.

I first became familiar with the Navara when I saw a few YouTube videos with Nissan in the Dakar Rally. For those of you who have played through Enthusia Professional Racing, the Nissan Pickup rally machine is the Navara- just not called the Navara. Is the Navara coming to the States? It is a nice-looking truck from these pictures.

I first became familiar with the Navara when I saw a few YouTube videos with Nissan in the Dakar Rally. For those of you who have played through Enthusia Professional Racing, the Nissan Pickup rally machine is the Navara- just not called the Navara. Is the Navara coming to the States? It is a nice-looking truck from these pictures.
The current global Navara is the Frontier in the US. This new Navara may not end up being the next Frontier. That is yet to be seen.

I'm pretty sure that it will be the new Frontier.

I don't like the style of it, it looks soft not tough.

Quote from Nissan NA:

Nissan North America spokesperson Dan Bedore reached out, saying, "The Navara, which is designed for global markets, including Thailand, is not an indication of an impending launch of a new Nissan Frontier for the US market." Bedore added that "we cannot comment on future plans for Frontier," nothing that the midsize truck "is a very important part of the Nissan lineup and of our truck growth strategy for the US." In the meantime, the automaker is "focusing on selling our current Frontier and gearing up for next year's launch of the all-new full-size Nissan Titan."

Quote from Nissan NA:

I was thinking they were going slightly changed the design but roughly that would be the new Frontier. Cause making a new truck for the US market only would cost a lot money and that would make no sense there would be little to no profits on it.

But then there is this article on The Truth About Cars talking about the next Frontier:

TTAC
TTAC has learned that the next Frontier will abandon the current F-Alpha platform used on this generation Frontier/Navara, and instead use an updated variant of the D22 Frontier. Make no mistake, this is an old truck, dating back to the early 1990′s. Nissan is currently attempting to engineer the old D22 technology to be both emissions compliant and pass FMVSS crash tests with flying colors – and according to our source, they are not having an easy time with the latter. But there’s a method to their madness.

What Nissan is trying to do is bring back an affordable, fuel-efficient compact truck. Not a fairly large “mid-size” truck like the Tacoma, the upcoming Colorado/Canyon twins or the Global Ranger that everyone is lusting for. Instead, this will be a modern version of the old Nissan Hardbody. It will be simple, (relatively) small, and cheap.

The basis for this truck will be the Mexican-market NP300, which is an updated D22 Frontier, still sold in certain countries. The truck will have all-new sheetmetal, in addition to the emissions and safety features that FMVSS requires, but it will still contain the rugged (and, to be fair, somewhat antiquated) bones of the old Frontier. This gives Nissan a few advantages: for one, it’s a proven design that will have most of its costs absorbed via years of sale on the open market. For another, it will lend them a fairly lightweight architecture to develop the truck off of, which will be beneficial for fuel economy and of course, CAFE

This makes me happy cause I like like those old compact truck and wished that companies would make them again.

This makes me happy cause I like like those old compact truck and wished that companies would make them again.

That's not a bad idea actually. The Frontier isn't a bad truck, but it was never as good as the Tacoma, or as simple and tough as the Ranger. The only reason you'd ever have for buying one is if you got a good deal on it.

If they can make an extremely simple and rugged small truck, that will be reliable, cheap and easy to work on, and cost as little as $16k-$18k new, it can be a massive success.

...Or it could be a massive faceplant for Nissan. Let's not forget that the US Ranger was the last one in that segment, one that has been empty for three years already but was being abandoned left and right in the early 2000s. I'd like to see it come back, but I'm not one to give hope.

The reason that segment collapsed is because there wasn't a big enough difference in price between compact and full-size trucks. A 4-cylinder, manual gearbox Ranger was only 2k-3k$ less then a V6 Silverado or F150, so the majority preferred to pony up for the bigger truck.

Right now the cheapest full-sizer is the Ram at $25k, so a $18k Nissan truck would be considerably cheaper and could resurrect that segment if done right.

If balls-to-the-wall tough is what you're looking for with the Navara, you will NOT find it with this design. It does look very nice regardless. Maybe it can be a subtly-styled pickup truck that can still (pardon the pun) carry the load for its class. I like this machine.

The updated D22 will not happen for the US, will get a modified version of the new Navara but will have to wait till 2018 for it.
TTAC
The reported next-generation Frontier, which would have been based on the bones of the old, first-generation Frontier, has been abandoned. According to our source, bringing the old technology up to modern crash standards was too onerous a task, and the costs were simply too high – even with using an already paid for architecture.

The big issue at hand is this: Nissan still wants to have a small, basic, fuel-efficient affordable truck, since they see it as an untapped niche. Their original thinking was that the D22 Frontier would let them get their in a cost-effective way (remember, small trucks are low-margin, difficult to price and carry significant regulatory burdens). But now that this option is off the table, Nissan is forced to use the all-new Navara as a starting point.

From a superficial perspective, that’s not such a bad thing. The Navara is a modern, global mid-size pickup that is a proven design and a sales success across the globe. The problem is that, as it sits now, it’s far too expensive for what Nissan USA is looking for. So, the North American truck will use the Navara architecture, due to its crashworthiness, and ability to fit a modern, diesel engine under the hood, but the tradeoff will be a fair amount of content will not make it across the ocean.

As with the now dead D22, Nissan Mexico will be responsible for engineering the truck to meet NAFTA standards. This “clean sheet” approach, if it can be called that, will cause further delays. The current Frontier will soldier on until 2018, when the new truck arrives. A diesel variant arrives a year later. The new truck will likely have a different look and stick to the original mandate of being akin to a modern-day Hardbody. But instead of actually being a a modern day Hardbody, it will be a revamped modern truck.

Nissan had planned to give North American truck buyers something truly unique, but it was not to be. We will be getting what is arguably the better, more modern option, but this new approach will just add more time, effort and expense to the program. The goal of a low-cost, fuel-efficient pickup is still in sight. Nissan will just be approaching it in a different way.
The Truth About Cars

I must confess working for Nissan, they are either really slow with releasing new products or just love keeping cars around for a while. Not something I enjoy, 10 year release cycles is uncalled for.

Nissan_Navara_Main.jpg

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C0AA7AD6006C933ECA257E59002260C3

THAI-SPEC Nissan Navaras have been imported to Australia ahead of the local arm’ s launch, and Nissan Australia’s managing director and CEO Richard Emery is warning customers that products built off this platform may not work as advertised.

The Navara has been on sale in Thailand since February, and GoAuto understands that at least three major 4x4 aftermarket suppliers – including Australia’s largest manufacturer and distributor of 4x4 accessories, ARB – have sourced Thai-spec vehicles for in-house development use prior to the Australian launch of the vehicle.

Intended for use in the local market, the Navara Calibre on sale in Thailand uses a YD25DDTi single-turbo four-cylinder diesel in two states of tune. The same engine is not offered in Australian-spec vehicles; rather, it uses two versions of the Renault-sourced YS23 four-cylinder turbo diesel, one with a single turbo and one with a pair of sequential turbos.

Mr Emery confirmed to GoAuto that no Australian-spec models were made available to aftermarket suppliers, and that by using a non-Australian-spec car, consumers may be put at a disadvantage.

“I am aware that some non-genuine operators imported their cars from Thailand to do some of their work, which will be interesting,” he told GoAuto. “Some of the specifications are significantly different between our car and the Thai car. There are potentially some traps there. I hope they haven't put too much effort into that development.”

Mr Emery noted that Australian-spec vehicles had been on the ground for some months prior to the May launch, and that while Nissan Australia developed many of its own accessories, it outsourced some of the work to outside companies.

i must say, that 2 door looks good.
Nissan_Navara_Large.jpg

http://gtspeed.us/2016/09/17/this-800-bhp-gtr-engine-nissan-navara-will-leave-you-breathless/
GTR-Engine-Nissan-Navara-750x400.jpg

This 800 bhp GTR Engine Nissan Navara will leave you breathless.
We have seen the VR38DETT twin-turbo V6 engine, in different Nissan cars. We have seen them in a Juke, in a Qashqai, and finally we may have the most extreme combo to date. A GT-R engine, inside a Nissan Navara pick up truck.

So they just pulled the 2.3 liter twin-turbo diesel engine out, and replaced it with the all powerful 800bhp VR38DETT. We don’t have the stats of the car, but we can expect a 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and a top speed some where near the 200mph. The GTR Engine Nissan Navara-R as they call it, is currently not for sale as it’s a work in progress, but if you have deep pockets, SVM will be more than happy to build you your own spcial model. SVM has even said that they can go even to 1500bhp, it depends from the client’s request. SVM’s Luke Anthony, said for Top Gear that the team is opened for the craziest ideas. They even said they would go on a full engeneering project, taking the shell of the Navara, and putting it on top of a GT-R drive train. A project like this will cost you about £200.000. It might be a bit pricy, but then again you would have the worlds most powerful supercar destroyer, who can maybe be used as a daily.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/BA952A23862EF4A0CA25804E0082F6DE
NEWS of the demise of the Renault Alaskan ute has been greatly exaggerated, according to Renault Australia managing director Justin Hocevar.

Reports from the Paris motor show in September suggested that the Alaskan – a restyling of the Nissan Navara style-side pick-up – was not actually confirmed by the company for sale in Australia.

Speaking with GoAuto at the recent launch of the Megane hatchback in northern New South Wales, Mr Hocever suggested that the reports were not accurate.

“The funny thing is that the story that came out of Paris on Alaskan was it's not confirmed for Australia,” he said. “The question that wasn't asked was, ‘What markets is it confirmed for?’

“They haven't really confirmed any markets at all. The company’s position still is timing’s not confirmed.”

Revealed as a concept in September 2015 ahead of the Frankfurt motor show, Renault showed a production version of the vehicle in South America in July this year.

Renault-Nissan Alliance will build the vehicle in Argentina and Spain, and there has been suggestions that it could also be produced alongside the Navara in Thailand, with the company set to produce both high-specification dual-cab 4x4 variants and more basic 4x2 cab-chassis versions.

The Alaskan is set to go on sale in the traditionally strong pick-up markets of South America, Africa and South-East Asia.

The vehicle revealed in July used variants of Renault commercial engines under the redesigned front end, including a pair of 2.3-litre single- and twin-turbo four-cylinder diesel engines that are used locally in the Master commercial van.

It makes 120kW in single turbo form, while the sequential-turbo version makes 140kW.

A 2.5-litre Nissan-sourced petrol engine and a pair of 2.5-litre diesel motors will also be offered in other markets, including Latin America, where the Alaskan will most likely make its debut later in 2016.

Mr Hocevar has long been a proponent of the ute coming to Australia to complement the brand’s other successful light-commercial models, and says that it is now just a waiting game.

“They’re now showing the vehicle, which is great.,” he said. “We just have to wait our turn in that global rollout strategy, then we can say, ‘okay, here we go.’

“It’s a big segment here, so it would be an important vehicle for our market.”

Renault would become only the second European brand after Volkswagen to tap into the segment, although Mercedes-Benz is planning to join the fray in 2018 or 2019 with the GLT that will share the Navara and Alaskan’s platform.

The Toyota HiLux is currently dominating the segment, with Ford’s Ranger closing in in second.

Four-by-four pick-up sales have climbed 11 per cent so far this year compared to the same period last year, while 4x2 sales are up almost 13 per cent in 2016.

Back