2016 Pirelli Spanish Grand Prix

So you get to judge who's "true fan of motorsport" and who isn't? Wow.

In other news; Jenson Button currently P1 with 1:23.7, I'm pretty sure that's on the ultra-soft.

I can judge who i like, as can you, that's the wonderful world of the t'interweb like it or loath it.

As much i dislike the idea of DRS, without it they'd be almost no overtaking in F1. They are just to aerodynamically sensitive to follow another car through a medium-quick corner to get enough 'natural' drag to make a pass. They've tried slashing the size of wings and enforcing other wing-related regulations, but it didn't make much difference. DRS was an ugly fix to a problem that needed sorting.
As true as this is, I'm amazed the people in charge actually allowed the cars to become that way in the first place.

Personally, anytime I see a race car this heavily dependant on aero, I assume they're not meant to be raced at all, just driven around a course at high speed.

With Red Bull it reminds me of the Top Gear episodes where they get followed by a man in a rubbish car if their car breaks down, they wheel it out everytime one of the boys has car trouble for humorous effect....... but in Red Bulls case its Danill Kyvat and they occasionally wheel out a Formula E car when he under achieves....

Danill will be a Formula E driver soon for sure...IMO, seems to be the punishment for being a failure on the Red Bull driver program..

And for the benefit of that bloke stalking me today i'll add this :D

Its light hearted, I like Sniff Petrol...not I like to Sniff Petrol though... google it..;):)

As true as this is, I'm amazed the people in charge actually allowed the cars to become that way in the first place.

Well, it's a complicated set of circumstances that has lead F1 down that path. You can probably lay blame on the courting of big sponsorship deals and manufacturer involvement which brought in an influx of money, along with the cutting on-track testing and no real development cap. All which means the teams spend a fortune on aerodynamic development.

When I think about DRS, most of the time I don't like it....but sometimes, I see it in a bit of a different light.

F1 is supposed to be cutting edge technology. Not saying DRS is that, but active aero is pretty advanced, and DRS is sort of a poor man's active aero. With the right approach, I think someone could make the DRS concept a lot sexier than it is.

Also, I think DRS would be a lot better if it was tailored to each specific track, instead of a generic flap for all tracks.

We saw in Spain that it didn't really make that much difference. In fact, for me at least, it actually added to the show. Every time Max and Kimi came down the front straight, I was holding my breath. Without DRS, Kimi would never have even had a shot at getting close enough to make a move. Other tracks though, like China or Bahrain, the DRS is much too effective, and does ruin the spectacle of an overtake.

If the flap was made smaller on tracks like China or Bahrain, and left the same for tracks like Catalunya, or even made larger for Monaco, I think it would do a better job of aiding overtaking, whilst not ruining the challenge of it.

Another track where I thought DRS worked well was Mexico. Because of the thin air, the effect of it is much less than at other tracks. I remember watching Bottas last year - even with the Merc engine and DRS, it was still a struggle for him to out drag someone down the straight. You could see him having to adjust his line exiting the stadium and squaring up the final corner to get a run, and iirc, a couple of his passes weren't completed until the braking zone of T1.

Confused as how Red Bull lost it though, their new guy won and just broke about every record on Sunday. IMO Ricciardo will know what Alonso felt when he was racing against Lewis at McLaren as team mate... the team favours the golden boy for obvious reasons..
I fixed my post.

So we laugh at dyslexia on here do we? Nice...
Besides someone may be a fan of Motorsport but not be a fan of certain drivers, frankly I couldn't care if i spell their names wrong.
Its a forum for games i can't be arsed even spell checking.
If your losing arguments I get that you'll go for something like spellings.
Well done..

Last edited:
So we laugh at dyslexia on here do we?
I couldn't car if i spell their names wrong.
Its a forum for games i can't be arsed even spell checking.
Three excuses for the price of one. You should be a racing driver.

Which one is it?

Before you answer, bear in mind that two staff members are dyslexic and a couple more have worked in SEN. All may object to you pairing a claim of dyslexia with a can't be arsed to try attitude. Also bear in mind that the GTP rules require you to use English to the best of your ability, so the can't be arsed attitude won't sit well there either.

If only you hadn't tried to pull a No True Scotsman, eh?

Three excuses for the price of one. You should be a racing driver.

Which one is it?

Before you answer, bear in mind that two staff members are dyslexic and a couple more have worked in SEN.

I'm dyslexic whats your point, christ all of this for offending the great DRS.... jesus effin christ. Never sticking my head back into this section again....

I'm dyslexic whats your point
That your posts show no sign if it, that your attitude of 'can't be arsed' is at odds with it and that you're hunting for excuses to get out of the fallacy you've cornered yourself into.

So we laugh at dyslexia on here do we?
A bold claim to make, considering that some members here have experience working with people who have dyslexia. It's curious that you hide behind it, considering that most people with dyslexia actively work to overcome it.

Its a forum for games i can't be arsed even spell checking
But you could be arsed agreeing to the AUP, which states that you will make every effort to spell properly.

christ all of this for offending the great DRS.
No, all of this for your attitude. What did you think would happen - that you would state an opinion and everyone would immediately and completely agree with you?

Welcome to an internet forum, where people can and almost certainly will disagree with you. It's nothing personal. That's the point of debate - if we all agreed on everything all the time, this place would be boring.

When I think about DRS, most of the time I don't like it....but sometimes, I see it in a bit of a different light.

F1 is supposed to be cutting edge technology. Not saying DRS is that, but active aero is pretty advanced, and DRS is sort of a poor man's active aero. With the right approach, I think someone could make the DRS concept a lot sexier than it is.

Also, I think DRS would be a lot better if it was tailored to each specific track, instead of a generic flap for all tracks.

We saw in Spain that it didn't really make that much difference. In fact, for me at least, it actually added to the show. Every time Max and Kimi came down the front straight, I was holding my breath. Without DRS, Kimi would never have even had a shot at getting close enough to make a move. Other tracks though, like China or Bahrain, the DRS is much too effective, and does ruin the spectacle of an overtake.

If the flap was made smaller on tracks like China or Bahrain, and left the same for tracks like Catalunya, or even made larger for Monaco, I think it would do a better job of aiding overtaking, whilst not ruining the challenge of it.

Another track where I thought DRS worked well was Mexico. Because of the thin air, the effect of it is much less than at other tracks. I remember watching Bottas last year - even with the Merc engine and DRS, it was still a struggle for him to out drag someone down the straight. You could see him having to adjust his line exiting the stadium and squaring up the final corner to get a run, and iirc, a couple of his passes weren't completed until the braking zone of T1.
It does change each race, because it opens the top flap of the rear wing, which is pretty much a different height each race in the setup. DRS has almost no effect at Monza A: Because the wings are so low as it is that opening it doesn't change the speed too much, and B: no one can follow out of the fast corners.

@dopedog Your idea that DRS and ERS makes for less pure racing, doesn't really add up to me, I'm afraid. Don't you realise that before F1 cars became the aerodynamically complex machines they are now, they didn't create so much turbulence. So once they were approximately a second behind another car, they'd pick up the slipstream, and just breeze by. Just like they do today; only without DRS, or ERS. It's not really making it easier, as you claim.

I'm sorry, but Vettle and Roseburg have nothing on my Grandad's favourite F1 driver, Hank Carl Frenchman...

Heinz-Harald-Frentzen.jpg

That your posts show no sign if it, that your attitude of 'can't be arsed' is at odds with it and that you're hunting for excuses to get out of the fallacy you've cornered yourself into.

So now your telling me what I do and don't have are you? Really? I can't be arsed because its a game forum not like something important like studies or work.

@dopedog Your idea that DRS and ERS makes for less pure racing, doesn't really add up to me, I'm afraid. Don't you realise that before F1 cars became the aerodynamically complex machines they are now, they didn't create so much turbulence. So once they were approximately a second behind another car, they'd pick up the slipstream, and just breeze by. Just like they do today; only without DRS, or ERS. It's not really making it easier, as you claim.

It's making it easier than it would be without DRS though, and DRS is a wholly artificial means of helping the car behind by increasing its performance. It devalues overtaking, and the only reason it was introduced was that it was too hard to follow another car closely enough to overtake.

It's a sticking plaster/Band Aid over an axe wound of a problem - that the aerodynamic complexity of F1 cars does nothing to enhance the sport for people watching in the grandstands or on TV, and has nothing to do with road cars either. It's a huge, pointless waste of money that only serves to make overtaking difficult.
What would the sport lose if aerodynamics were severely cut back? Pretty much nothing, I'd argue. If we insist that high cornering speeds are needed for F1, then put the cars on fat, grippy tyres, and if that alone doesn't work then increase underbody aero that is less affected by following another car.

You really want longer braking distances - Maybe some Manual Gearbox fun... A few locked brakes and missed/sloppy gear shifts -
(You only have to look at how much a mere botched button press from Nic O'Rosberg made even the #2 driver at Mercedes feel lucky.)

So now your telling me what I do and don't have are you? Really?
Yep. Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik.
I can judge who i like, as can you, that's the wonderful world of the t'interweb like it or loath it.
Meanwhile, in other news:
I can't be arsed because its a game forum not like something important like studies or work.
The 'can't be arsed' excuse, while more plausible, is no more reasonable.

Sadly, when you joined our forum you agreed to this lot . If you can't be arsed to stick to it, it means you either don't have the self-respect to abide by your own promises when it suits you (making you a liar) or put so little value into your promises that you give them away without any intent of abiding by them (making you a chronic and habitual liar). For reference, if your next thought is "well who reads the Ts & Cs anyway" I'll win a lot of money in the Staff Excuse Pool.

I'd recommend that you stop digging and instead of trying to argue your way out of your own fallacies, just concede your error. Or stop visiting the thread like you said you were doing two posts ago...

Never sticking my head back into this section again....

Ryk
You really want longer braking distances

Exactly. It's one reason why there's more overtaking in MotoGP (one of several, admittedly), and it's a big reason I worry about the 2017 rules.

The folk behind the changes can bang on until they're blue in the face that the extra mechanical grip will help cars to follow each other more closely, but wider tyres and more downforce (and more drag, so in theory they'll be slightly slower down the straights next year) makes me think that braking distances will be incredibly short, and that outbraking manoeuvres will be very difficult.

Back