2016 Pirelli Spanish Grand Prix

Limiting the brakes is a good way to increase braking distance, and an electronic brake force limiter also a good way to handicap faster cars similar to ballast on SuperGT. Slower cars gets more brake force, faster car gets less, more fun on main straight :P

We all love PantsAre MoreOnFire
maldo_3095887.jpg

Harder tyres would increase braking areas. The kind that can last the whole race.

Then there's no need for pit stops. Without them you'll just end up with the whole field stretching apart over the course of a two hour race.

Yep. Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik.
Meanwhile, in other news:
The 'can't be arsed' excuse, while more plausible, is no more reasonable.

Sadly, when you joined our forum you agreed to this lot . If you can't be arsed to stick to it, it means you either don't have the self-respect to abide by your own promises when it suits you (making you a liar) or put so little value into your promises that you give them away without any intent of abiding by them (making you a chronic and habitual liar). For reference, if your next thought is "well who reads the Ts & Cs anyway" I'll win a lot of money in the Staff Excuse Pool.

I'd recommend that you stop digging and instead of trying to argue your way out of your own fallacies, just concede your error. Or stop visiting the thread like you said you were doing two posts ago...

Well I have dyslexia, but aside from that I mixed up 2 drivers names is that really cause for this?

Also there's nothing about spelling correctly in your sacred rules unless I missed it..

Well I have dyslexia, but aside from that I mixed up 2 drivers names is that really cause for this?
It's the natural consequence of your boorish behaviour and your No True Scotsman fallacy.

Incidentally I've warned you three times about double posting but you've just done it yet again. You've already had a warning for ignoring the moderators too...

Personally I wish they would lower the downforce, give them bigger tires and a lot more power. Lets make Gilles Villeneuve proud.

I miss the days of watching Drivers have to Drive a car.

Last edited:
Then there's no need for pit stops. Without them you'll just end up with the whole field stretching apart over the course of a two hour race.

There's never been a need for a pitstop at all. That was just one of the things to spice things up. I'd rather see the race won on the track - not in the pits.

What exactly do you think they do now? F1 cars don't drive themselves.
Probably thinks that because the cars don't powersteer through every corner in an aesthetically pleasing way like they used to that they aren't hard to drive now.

What exactly do you think they do now? F1 cars don't drive themselves.

You took my comment a little to literal. I miss watching a driver sliding a car and the brilliant overtakes of the 70s-80's era F1 races when aerodynamics was just starting to really take hold of the sport.

Probably thinks that because the cars don't powersteer through every corner in an aesthetically pleasing way like they used to that they aren't hard to drive now.

I don't think they are easy to drive by any means, I just think it is a more boring style of racing with all the aerodynamic dependence in today's Formula 1. To me in F1 now the only time you really see any overtaking is at the start of a race, after pit stops or after a safety car.

In my opinion that's because the cars have to much aero dependence. I think that's why the overtaking suffers so much. Due to the turbulence coming off a lead car even if you are a faster car if you get in the disturbed air coming off the lead car heading in to a corner your car is most likely going to slide the front end out and destroy your tires. Which makes it harder and harder to pass, where as the lead car as long as he hits his marks and does not make a mistake there is no way he is going to get passed because he has the aero advantage of clean air.

However if you take down force away from both cars the aero effect of clean air is not as predominant, It's still an advantage, But much less of one. Plus the cars are more likely to break traction and slide, making it easier to overtake coming off a corner or set someone up for the next corner.

But that's just my thoughts.

I don't get this obsession with sliding F1 cars... Why the hell would you slide the car? It slows you down. An F1 driver is supposed to be as fast as possible. Not as flamboyant as possible...

It's not abut sliding the cars. @ButtKick is absolutely right, F1 cars are, despite latest attempts in the opposite direction, too aero dependant, and that has a bad effect on racing.

It is a very hard issue to deal with because, of course, aero efficiency improves lap times and therefore it's only legit that engineers try the best they can. However, aero dependant cars become impaired when closely following another. This brought us many realities we don't necessarily find good, like the Tilke tracks with looooooooooooooooong straights leading to very tight corners. Most old school european tracks became obsolete because they favoured well balanced cars and chassis, while engine power and brake power are now much more important. Estoril (old layout), Catalunya (old layout),Hungary, Dijon Prenois, Zandvoort ... you name them, current F1 racing would be a bore fest there.

Monza, old classic track but very fast, even after being "chicaned", provided boring races.

So they reduced rear wings, made front wings as big as possible( we're used by now but they remain horrendous) and came up with this moveable wing system that we all know as DRS.

I don't like it, but there's no magic wand to this and we can't just take the wings off F1.

I don't get this obsession with sliding F1 cars... Why the hell would you slide the car? It slows you down. An F1 driver is supposed to be as fast as possible. Not as flamboyant as possible...

For me it's not an obsession with sliding a car. It's an obsession with being up on the wheel handling a car that is prone to sliding.

I don't it's an obsession with sliding per say - that's what Formula D is for :P. Rather, it's a desire to see cars with enormous amounts of power with little grip - a recipe for an extremely difficult car to drive at the limit. You're correct that a modern racecar with downforce is slower when sliding, but with low grip, that's not always the case. If you look at F1 in the 50s and 60s, sliding the car through the corners with a 4-wheel drift was the fastest way through a corner. The poor grip of the front tires leads to understear, so you use trail braking and the throttle to enduce a slide, which helps rotate the car through the corner. It's much faster to do that as opposed to not touching the throttle, waiting for the front end to bite.

^^^^^as explained. You just need to watch the first 50 seconds of this video to understand. Dan's a true legend anyway so watching the rest won't harm you

Plus, it features the 60's best looking car (at least that's GTPlanet's verdict :D )

I get this, but F1 is supposed to be cutting edge. Grippy, powerful cars are cutting edge so that's where F1 is.

I know the cars of yesteryear are ones that are fond in all of our memories but it isn't 1980. It's 2016.

The problem is, when you're at the pinnacle of motorsports, overtaking will always be difficult. People want faster cars... we HAD faster cars in the past... Much faster... and much fewer overtakes.

http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/

I sat through several seasons of Michael Schumacher winning from the front, with the most excitement during the race coming from seeing how many backmarkers he could lap.

I sat through two seasons of Alonso parking his Renault in front of the faster McLarens and Ferraris after blitzing them in qualifying to claim pole.

I sat through the damn Trulli train.

Overtaking now is not perfect. Far from it, but it's not the worst it has ever been. The only way to ensure much more overtaking in Formula One is to make the cars slower, or add more bad drivers... and if we do that, it won't be Formula One anymore.

I still stand by my recommendation. Let them have the grip. Let them have the aero. But give them great big boost buttons and loose fuel flow restrictions so that there will be a greater disparity in speed between fuel saving mode and full power mode. Give the drivers more strategic options down the straights.

I don't it's an obsession with sliding per say - that's what Formula D is for :P. Rather, it's a desire to see cars with enormous amounts of power with little grip - a recipe for an extremely difficult car to drive at the limit. You're correct that a modern racecar with downforce is slower when sliding, but with low grip, that's not always the case. If you look at F1 in the 50s and 60s, sliding the car through the corners with a 4-wheel drift was the fastest way through a corner. The poor grip of the front tires leads to understear, so you use trail braking and the throttle to enduce a slide, which helps rotate the car through the corner. It's much faster to do that as opposed to not touching the throttle, waiting for the front end to bite.
You would also need to go back to cross ply tires to achieve that (much greater grip retention at higher slip angles) which are much more prone to failure at speed and would result in far more dangerous accidents.

No ta.

Interesting talk on MWM that the radio ban was a big factor for the Mercedes accident because the blonde guy cant remember how to drive the car. The team knew he was in the wrong mode at the start but were not allowed to say anything.:boggled:

I still find it amazing that Verstappen won his frst GP several months before the second youngest driver to start an F1 race - Jaime Alguersuari - did so.

In other news:

I'm still struggling with the way Sebastian Vettel is a) a four-time World Champion and b) younger than me.

We're getting old is what it is.

Also, damn. I've also just realised it's been just over 20 years since I started watching F1.

Roo
We're getting old is what it is.

Also, damn. I've also just realised it's been just over 20 years since I started watching F1.

If it makes you feel any better/younger, Roo, it's been over 40 since I started watching ;)

Max Verstappen is 6 years younger than I am. I was born after the fall of Communism. Vettel won three titles by the time he was my age.

We're all getting old.

Back