2016 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

I would rather everyone have a one-lap shot or just a single 30/60 minute session.

F1 fanbase mood right now.

tumblr_inline_o49xm8TWnd1s3mn01_540.jpg

Eight teams have their drivers lining up next to one another ...
That almost implies that F1 is more about the car than the driver :embarrassed: It's a nice observation though, it means that even with last years qualifying system we would've got similar results but would [possibly] have been able to enjoy the journey towards them more.

Not nostalgia, you're right. It was a simple 60 minute session when I started watching, but my favourite format has been the one lap shootout. Saying that, I was happy with how quali worked last year too, didn't see the need to change it.
True, I could sit with a bag of potato chips enjoying watching each and every driver's flying lap and got excited and anxiously waiting for their lap times unfolded one by one! it was epic, I don't know why it was changed though.. if it rains then screw it (fair/unfairness), it brings more fun and drama, unlike this old boring HAM ROS VET parade I have to face the whole year...

That almost implies that F1 is more about the car than the driver :embarrassed: It's a nice observation though, it means that even with last years qualifying system we would've got similar results but would [possibly] have been able to enjoy the journey towards them more.
I only mention it because the top ten places in the final drivers' standings at the end of last year was another case of Noah's Ark - with the drivers arranged by team.

With this new format, you're shifting the action away from the end of the session. One common theme across most sports is that you can have a boring match/game/race/etc but if the finish is exciting, that's the lasting memory and fans will think that was worth the price of admission.

Talk about an utter embarrassment because just about all the feedback - from drivers to fans to media - has not been kind at all.

Maybe it's all an elaborate ploy to make even the dullest of races seem incredibly exciting in comparison.

Another thing to consider is given the way this new system came about, Bernie probably isn't going to go "oh well that didn't work, let's go back to the old system", he's going to go "oh well that didn't work, so clearly we need to bring in my idea of sprint races/reverse grids/time penalties." So if he manages to get his way this time round, we could end up with a significant change rather than this attempted modification.

Quelle suprise :lol:

Autosport
Ecclestone said he was "sure" the format could be revised in time for the second round of the season in Bahrain on the first weekend of April, but he warned against simply going back to the previous format.

Ecclestone again outlined the idea he put forward to change qualifying for this year, with race winners picking up time penalties to be added to their best laps.

It could work if they replace Q3 to the normal system, it works well in Q1 and kinda in Q2 but it's completely broken for Q3.

It could work if they replace Q3 to the normal system, it works well in Q1 and kinda in Q2 but it's completely broken for Q3.

That was my intial thoughts, worked ok for Q1 and went downhill from there.

There just isn't enough time in an hour to make the format work, really. While Q1 wasn't immediately disastrous, the scramble for cars setting a good lap just felt very clumsy and difficult to follow. Even the commentators weren't keeping up and they had more information than the audience...

Great for STR to be up there in the mix though! Fingers crossed for a better race day!

Not being able to finish your lap makes the knockout silly, but it is the only way this silly system is feasible. Grosjean has to abort his first lap to let Mercs by and therefore runs out of time while on a lap that could put the Haas deep in midfield.

The format completely removes the late scramble at the end to put in a good lap and gives you a half assed scrap at the start. Trying to have more cars on track doesn't work with the same amount of bubblegum tyres provided that that need for the race anyway. The FIA should be disgusted with itself.

No driver, principal, engineer or diehard fan is happy with this new format.

Grosjean has to abort his first lap to let Mercs by and therefore runs out of time while on a lap that could put the Haas deep in midfield.
The problem was that he was on a flying lap, too. Hamilton tried to bully his way past on the outlap, backed off when it didn't work, then caught Grosjean on his flying lap.

Not being able to finish your lap makes the knockout silly, but it is the only way this silly system is feasible. Grosjean has to abort his first lap to let Mercs by and therefore runs out of time while on a lap that could put the Haas deep in midfield.

The format completely removes the late scramble at the end to put in a good lap and gives you a half assed scrap at the start. Trying to have more cars on track doesn't work with the same amount of bubblegum tyres provided that that need for the race anyway. The FIA should be disgusted with itself.

No driver, principal, engineer or diehard fan is happy with this new format.

I think HAAS will do just fine without it. The car seems strong and if it is as strong as it seems to show glimpses of, then I think with Romain the car will be past the two Saubers by the end of turn one. I think the more difficult challenges will be Kvyat and the Renault works team and then McLaren. But we'll see, it is silly how it ended up for HAAS but new quali for a new team, they just need to adjust going into the next GP so their not caught out next time.

Another thing to consider is given the way this new system came about, Bernie probably isn't going to go "oh well that didn't work, let's go back to the old system", he's going to go "oh well that didn't work, so clearly we need to bring in my idea of sprint races/reverse grids/time penalties." So if he manages to get his way this time round, we could end up with a significant change rather than this attempted modification.

This is what I'm afraid of most since he's used this tactic in the past. If they start adding penalties for success I think I might be done with F1. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport but all these gimmicks are getting it close to the tipping point of being a farce. Success time/ballast penalties or reverse grids would push it way past the tipping point.

This is what I'm afraid of most since he's used this tactic in the past. If they start adding penalties for success I think I might be done with F1. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport but all these gimmicks are getting it close to the tipping point of being a farce. Success time/ballast penalties or reverse grids would push it way past the tipping point.

I feel Bernie watched a little too much DTM. I found the "success weight ballast" from their a bit of a joke when it comes to the idea of racing. But with is being a spec series I didn't find it surprising they'd try and balance the field in such a way. Here in F1 I completely agree with you, it has no place.

The problem was that he was on a flying lap, too. Hamilton tried to bully his way past on the outlap, backed off when it didn't work, then caught Grosjean on his flying lap.
The problem is that instead of getting further attempts he's essentially limited to the first couple minutes because his car is too slow to avoid being caught by faster cars on his out lap or flying lap that he has to concede to.

It completely defeats the purpose of trying to get more cars on track, and if it'd to make qualifying more tense and your one lap more valuable, then might as well go with the most convenient thing which would be one lap qualifying which we had for four seasons already over ten years ago which has its own issues already.

Not quite. It may be faster than the Lap Record, but there have been quicker quali laps. Vettel's 2011 lap of 1:23.529 is the fastest lap of the circuit.

Also to add to that, lap records aren't recorded like that in the first place. It'd have to be a race setting.

Back