2016 Scion iA & iM

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 49 comments
The sooner all companies realize cars as small as the 2 can never look good as sedans, the better. Everything on the road now, from the awful Fiesta, the funny-looking Yaris, the bizarrely-proportioned Sonic, and the car that doesn't know which direction it's facing (the Versa, though it's a bit bigger than the rest), always looks bad, in any situation. Cars that short and narrow just don't work with the three-box design.
The tallness is the issue, as is the modern trend for rising belt-lines, and general necessities of packaging modern cars as they're packaged.

Small three-box cars used to work fine - the Civic EF sedan is a good example off the top of my head (technically a compact, but we all know modern subcompacts are more or less the size of 80s compacts), and over in Europe it's a similar deal with the old Ford Orion.

With the iA though I'm tempted to say the grille is far more offensive to the eyes than the car's general proportions.

The sooner all companies realize cars as small as the 2 can never look good as sedans, the better. Everything on the road now, from the awful Fiesta, the funny-looking Yaris, the bizarrely-proportioned Sonic, and the car that doesn't know which direction it's facing (the Versa, though it's a bit bigger than the rest), always looks bad, in any situation. Cars that short and narrow just don't work with the three-box design.

Nice to see the Matrix live on in another form, though. Those things are still all over the roads.
Versa sedan is getting some big changes, but it'll be a couple years. If it's anything like the drawing I saw, it'll be a night and day difference.

So, uh.....Mazda2 with an ugly face anyone?

2016-scion-ia-01-1.jpg

On the other hand, this is quite nice.

2016-scion-im-07-1.jpg
Isn't that the Civic Coupe Si front fender?

Versa sedan is getting some big changes, but it'll be a couple years. If it's anything like the drawing I saw, it'll be a night and day difference.
Versa is Definetly more Compact then Subcompact size though, being on the Tiida/Pulsar platform.

Oh great, now it makes me feel like I keep a whore in my garage...don't tell my wife.

On the other hand, we have a Scion and a Mazda, so something of an orgy may have been in order.

2017 Toyota Yaris iA

This is the same as Mazda 2/ 2016 Scion iA, discontinued in the US.

Setting aside the grill, I'll say I've test driven this and really like it's fun handling and great control over bumps and potholes compared to its subcompact competition. Under 2500 lbs, narrow width, quick shifting 6-speed AT and sport mode engine setting make it interesting as an urban runabout. Nice interior, too. MSRP is $17,950 but they often seem to be discounted by $2000 or maybe even more.

2017 Toyota Yaris iA

Setting aside the grill, I'll say I've test driven this and really like it's fun handling and great control over bumps and potholes compared to its subcompact competition. Under 2500 lbs, narrow width, quick shifting 6-speed AT and sport mode engine setting make it interesting as an urban runabout. Nice interior, too. MSRP is $17,950 but they often seem to be discounted by $2000 or maybe even more.
Not for nothing, but the boot is huge. Probably the most boot space I've seen, in a small sedan, since my Jettas.

Not for nothing, but the boot is huge. Probably the most boot space I've seen, in a small sedan, since my Jettas.
Yes! I've noticed my fencing foil case fits nicely across at the back. Won't do that in many hatchbacks without pockets behind the wheels wells.

Do you think its looks would be helped any by the optional rear spoiler?

Yes! I've noticed my fencing foil case fits nicely across at the back. Won't do that in many hatchbacks without pockets behind the wheels wells.

Do you think its looks would be helped any by the optional rear spoiler?

The rear looks fine without the lip spoiler. Overall, the 2 is actually a good looking car.
Shame Toyota didn't try a bit more with the front grill. Maybe round lights(I know they were going for the current family grill) might have made a difference.

2017 Toyota Yaris iA

I was able to purchase this car for over $3000 below the MSRP of $17,950.

I almost bought a Scion iM. What put me off was the gutless Toyota suspension and power steering. You think they'd make it more entertaining for teens to drive.

I almost bought a Scion iM. What put me off was the gutless Toyota suspension and power steering. You think they'd make it more entertaining for teens to drive.
The Auris? That car is incredible. Just when you thought Toyota had mastered boring cars with the Yaris along comes the Auris which makes the Yaris look positively exotic by comparison. I can't think of a single interesting thing about it. Objectively good car, though, and you know it'll never break.

Just when you thought Toyota had mastered boring cars with the Yaris

FYI, for 2017 Toyota has replaced joined the Yaris with the Yaris iA (really a Mazda 2). This car is like a true sports car in its steering and handling; firm but controlled. It's quite fun to drive in sport mode, weighing only 2400 lbs with the 6-speed manual.

Last edited:
FYI, for 2017 Toyota has replaced the Yaris with the Yaris iA (really a Mazda 2). This car is like a true sports car in its steering and handling; firm but controlled. It's quite fun to drive in sport mode, weighing only 2400 lbs with the 6-speed manual.
View media item 538

There is still a standard Yaris hatchback available.

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/
Yes, it's the hatchback, with the iA being the sedan. The Yaris is made by Toyota and the Yaris iA by Mazda. I made a mistake when I said the Yaris had been replaced by the iA. I think the iA is much the better car. I wonder how the sales of these two models are doing?? They were discounting the iA by ~ $3000 in March, so maybe sales are not so good?

Last edited:
Back