2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reviewing my FACT OR FICTION statements, KAMKA-Z. I picked Dan Wheldon as a last minute pick. My storyline for Indy 2007 was on the ladies. So let me key in.

--- How the Fairer Sex Fared ---
* Again, I love watching Danica Patrick race. She's done very well throughout the race. The pit strategy her and some others took in the later stages didn't work out. But as it's said, "that's racin'." It's still a great honor for Danica. So while most other people are sick of Mrs. D. Patrick, you can't discredit that she's due for a win with Andretti-Green Racing. On a great note, she's finishing in the Top 10 at Indy in her three starts there.

* Sarah Fisher remained strong despite struggling. She finished worse than 20th, but gave it a great effort.

* Houston has a very large Latin American contigent. So I'm sure a number of Latin racing fans here in Houston were mindful of how Milka Duno would do. Unfortunately, I saw the beautiful Venezuelan put her Citgo machine into the wall. It was a tough break for her as she spun out in Turn 1 and into the wall.

-end

Hats off to Davey Hamilton. Coming back from all those surgeries and getting a Top 10 is a great finishing story. I think it was the best story of the race. Now that Indy's over, everyone is allowed to return to normal, right? No! The IndyCar Series returns to work at Milwaukee next week. No rest for the weary. My congratulations to Dario Franchitti as Ashley Judd (recently got her degree in French the University of Kentucky. Sure my buddy FoolKiller is proud) was tense at how the race would end.

Pretty good race. Wished the rains would subside and wished I could have seen more of the race, but good race nonetheless.

One comment on Mrs. Franchitti (Ashley Judd, not his mom... haha)...

Robin Miller can call Dario a gentleman, Robin Miller can compare him to Jim Clark... the wife of the bleedin' race car driver CANNOT do that. That is essentially the same as Dario getting out of the car and saying "Well, I was down in 18th(?) place and was able to work my way up to the lead passing each driver in a very gentlemanly fashion. I'd also like to point out that I'm the first Scot to win since Jim Clark."

It just rubbed me wrong, maybe I'm going overboard once again but I was immensely proud of Dario (as I used his #9 car exclusively in CART Precision Racing if you care to take a trip in the way back machine with me) but both my Dad and I thought Ms. (or Mrs.?) Judd's comments were just out of place and for us they almost tainted the win.

If I had won the rain-shortened 500 last evening, and you came and asked me if I had rather won it over the full 500 miles I think I'd sock you in the face and tell you I won the dang race fair and square. That being said, like Buddy Rice in '04, in '07 we have our winner decided short of the 500 miles, does that make the win "less legit?"

Go for two in a row at Milwaukee Dario!

m.piedgros

I didn't catch Ms Judd's comments. I'm not ready to compare Dario to Jim Clark yet, though I'm glad to see him win.

I did catch Mike Andretti whining about being stuck behind slower traffic, especially his old rival Al Unser Jr. I really think Michael has lost his drive to win.

PS What do you have when you have 3 Andrettis in your basement?
Answer: A Whine Cellar.

2007 Indianapolis 500 Race Results
1 | 27 | Dario Franchitti (GBR) | Andretti Green Racing
2 | 9 | Scott Dixon (NZL) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
3 | 3 | Helio Castroneves (BRA) | Team Penske
4 | 6 | Sam Hornish Jr. (USA) | Team Penske
5 | 12 | Ryan Briscoe (AUS) | Luczo Dragon Racing
6 | 8 | Scott Sharp (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
7 | 2 | Tomas Scheckter (RSA) | Vision Racing
8 | 7 | Danica Patrick (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
9 | 02 | Davey Hamilton (USA) | Vision Racing
10 | 4 | Vitor Meira (BRA) | Panther Racing
11 | 17 | Jeff Simmons (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
12 | 11 | Tony Kanaan (BRA) | Andretti Green Racing
13 | 39 | Michael Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
14 | 22 | A.J. Foyt IV (USA) | Vision Racing
15 | 98 | Alex Barron (USA) | Curb/Agajanian/Beck Motorsports
16 | 55 | Kosuke Matsuura (JPN) | Super Aguri Panther Racing
17 | 20 | Ed Carpenter (USA) | Vision Racing
18 | 5 | Sarah Fisher (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
19 | 99 | Buddy Lazier (USA) | Sam Schmidt Motorsports
20 | 14 | Darren Manning (GBR) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises
21 | 24 | Roger Yasukawa (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
22 | 10 | Dan Wheldon (GBR) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
23 | 91 | Richie Hearn (USA) | Hemelgarn/Racing Professionals
24 | 26 | Marco Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
25 | 15 | Buddy Rice (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
26 | 50 | Al Unser Jr. (USA) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises
27 | 21 | Jaques Lazier (USA) | Playa Del Racing
28 | 25 | Marty Roth (CAN) | Roth Racing
29 | 31 | Phil Giebler (USA) | Playa Del Racing
30 | 33 | John Andretti (USA) | Panther Racing
31 | 23 | Milka Duno (VEN) | SAMAX Motorsport
32 | 19 | Jon Herb (USA) | Racing Professionals
33 | 77 | Roberto Moreno (BRA) | Chastain Motorsports

Congratulations to Dario Franchitti for winning the 2007 Indianapolis 500.

irl-2007-ind-tm-1704.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1684.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1682.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1683.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1724.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1727.jpg

irl-2007-ind-mj-0301.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1753.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1752.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1735.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1766.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1740.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1746.jpg

irl-2007-ind-tm-1737.jpg

I've just had a lazy (extended) weekend, giving me ample opportunity to camp out infront of the TV watching motorsport. I watched the Monaco GP, qualifying and race, Moto GP from Le Mans, some World Superbikes from Silverstone, some footage of ALMS from Utah, some of the CORR truck series and even some British Rallycross. I come back to work yesterday, log on to GTP and find out that another Brits won the Indy 500 - i didn't even know it was on this past weekend!!! - nothing on TV, including the news, nothing in the papers. We get to see every Champcar race but the whole IRL passes us by completely. It would seem that IRL offers little or no interest outside the US. I think it's about time Champcar and the IRL are reunited if races with the clout of the Indy 500 are to have the worldwide coverage that they deserve.

I've just had a lazy (extended) weekend, giving me ample opportunity to camp out infront of the TV watching motorsport. I watched the Monaco GP, qualifying and race, Moto GP from Le Mans, some World Superbikes from Silverstone, some footage of ALMS from Utah, some of the CORR truck series and even some British Rallycross. I come back to work yesterday, log on to GTP and find out that another Brits won the Indy 500 - i didn't even know it was on this past weekend!!! - nothing on TV, including the news, nothing in the papers. We get to see every Champcar race but the whole IRL passes us by completely. It would seem that IRL offers little or no interest outside the US. I think it's about time Champcar and the IRL are reunited if races with the clout of the Indy 500 are to have the worldwide coverage that they deserve.

I completely forgot about the Indy 500. I've watched this race for years, and years. It shows how much IRL racing has been a losing interest to so many people including myself.

I too, haven't heard a word about this race on the news, in the papers, TV ads, etc. Wow.

I think since last years race was so terrible, and the fact I don't follow the IRL anymore pretty much has completely put this event and sport out of my mind.

R.I.P. Indy 500.

The win at Indy for Dario Franchitti is certainly amazing. I'm impressed also about Danica Patrick's great performance despite not finishing higher than 4th. My little editorials are what I refer to as "Sound Off!" sessions. So I'm going to sound off about Danica Patrick now.

Sound Off! - Danica Patrick... Is Her Day Coming?

I've never hated Danica Patrick since she came into racing. I didn't start getting into her until the buildup for the 2005 Indy 500. She's been featured in a number of sports shows, radio interviews, late night shows, and stuff like that. The criticism over Danica is that as much as she's featured in American media, she has yet to win a race. Fans have shyed away from Danica as she hasn't won a race or made too much hype in the media. I've even seen Dale Jr. fans (generalization) knock on Danica on "WindTunnel with Dave Despain" for any sort of reason. Things ranging from her blocking a driver to that popular romp after she failed to finish. I'd still love to see her win a race. She is a talented race car driver racing for one of the best teams in the business- Andretti-Green Racing. Besides winning, one other think Danica hasn't yet done was score the highest finish for a lady. Sarah Fisher holds that record by finishing 2nd in 2003(?). Is Danica's day in the sun coming? When will it come?

I think Danica Patrick admits that being pressured a lot drives her to be better. She seems to have this "I'm going to have to prove you wrong" attitude. I think her time is coming. She may win this year, may even win next weekend at Milwaukee. I'm still a fan of Danica Patrick. It would be great for the 25-year old to win in the state she was born in. She's come of age since Indy 2005 but really shone at Indy this year before the rains and the failed pit sequence she took. When Danica finally wins a race, I'll be more than happy to congratulate her on a job well done. I'm still proud to see her finish. I am proud of her wherever she finishes. I just want to see that lovely black and sky blue #7 finish and finish well. I'm not overrating her. I'm not saying something like "she could overtake Michael Schumacher in her prime" or anything outlandishly mad. Just because I'm not writing off Danica as a fad doesn't mean I'm a blooming idiot for not sticking with other racing fans. I think Danica's day will come. She may even become a true inspiration for other ladies to go racing and compete in the IndyCar Series. For one thing, Danica's racing in the toughest all-or-mostly-oval racing series in America (and perhaps the world). You're racing these very light Indy cars that can do about 220 or even 230. It can be very easy to make a mistake and throw away a perfectly good race. You don't have the luxury of fenders like in stock car racing. She's competiting in a tough racing series against a world of talent. One day, she will truly triumph and may finally silence her many critics. When will that day come? We may never know. But I'd like to think that her time to shine as a race winner will come before she's eventually done with the IndyCar Series. Sure love to see a beautiful brunette born out of the small town of Beloit, Wisconsin to win in the IndyCar Series. I want to see on TV Danica win in the IndyCar Series or in any other form of competition. I'm waiting for announcers to say, "...and Danica Patrick will win the (enter ICS race here)!" I still believe in Danica. I still respect her. I think she will shine as a race winner. I just hope I'm next to a television or radio or web stream to experience a big win from her.

-end

In addition, I would also like to make a debate question regarding the Indy 500. A number of drivers are incredibly amazing and may even be Hall of Fame racers. But to the topic of my debate question, I'd like to ask you all the following:

John's Debate!
The Indy 500 is one of the biggest races you must win if you're racing in America and want to establish yourself in America as one of the best racers in the world. But to be regarded as one of the best racers of all time in America, do you NEED to win the Indy 500? Or can you still be a world-class driver without having won the Indianapolis 500 (requirement: at least one start at Indy)?

What do you think about either my Sound Off and/or my debate question?

One comment on Mrs. Franchitti (Ashley Judd, not his mom... haha)...
Mrs. Franchitti? I thought it was Mr, Judd. Apparently a valet called him that once and he was none too happy, so I always call him that now.

Robin Miller can call Dario a gentleman, Robin Miller can compare him to Jim Clark... the wife of the bleedin' race car driver CANNOT do that. That is essentially the same as Dario getting out of the car and saying "Well, I was down in 18th(?) place and was able to work my way up to the lead passing each driver in a very gentlemanly fashion. I'd also like to point out that I'm the first Scot to win since Jim Clark."

It just rubbed me wrong, maybe I'm going overboard once again but I was immensely proud of Dario (as I used his #9 car exclusively in CART Precision Racing if you care to take a trip in the way back machine with me) but both my Dad and I thought Ms. (or Mrs.?) Judd's comments were just out of place and for us they almost tainted the win.
I agree with this. She came off very bad during that little speech. "Like a gentleman!" If the camera had been zoomed out I bet her finger was in the reporter's face. She does a lot for charity and Kentucky basketball, but I swear she has no problems acting better than others and talking down to people. I've seen her locally being interviewed about a movie, her husband, Kentucky basketball, or her charities and she suddenly swung into politics and took on that same tone and went on a rant. It was very Tom Cruise w/ Matt Lauer like.

I love the, "Oh God it's models" look on her face.

I completely forgot about the Indy 500. I've watched this race for years, and years. It shows how much IRL racing has been a losing interest to so many people including myself.

I too, haven't heard a word about this race on the news, in the papers, TV ads, etc. Wow.

I think since last years race was so terrible, and the fact I don't follow the IRL anymore pretty much has completely put this event and sport out of my mind.

R.I.P. Indy 500.
While I fear it is getting left behind more and more by the general public I don't think it is R.I.P. time yet. I have a theory about what happened. Days of Thunder, the movie, came out. When I was a kid I had barely heard of NASCAR and stockcar racing was what happened at the local 1/2 mile oval or dirt track with junker cars that usually wound up in the destruction derby held every other month. Then after that movie suddenly I began hearing more about NASCAR and stockcar racing. That's my theory anyway. I am sure there is some other stuff that went into it.

Whatever it is there is definitely a marketing issue. People still know what you are talking about when you mention Indy racing, but they couldn't tell you who any of the drivers are. But it is still better known than most other forms of open wheel (except Formula 1, of course) and sports car racing.

I think it was this month's Road&Track that had an editorial piece talking about how many drivers from other places showed up at the 24 hours of Daytona that were not actually a part of the Rolex series. He suggested making those points count in other racing series. He then went on to suggest having points cross over a lot of series, especially since in sports car and open wheel racing you get a lot of cross-series drivers anyway. His theory was that you would see some smaller series get more well-known drivers, even if just for big races, like the Indy 500, and it would thus draw crowds.

I like his theory. Imagine if a NASCAR driver realizes he is in trouble getting himself into the chase and hopped into a Champ Car or an Indy Car, maybe even a GT1 Le Mans car to make up some points. You don't need to become a regular, but just hit some of the bigger races. Suddenly by being a more versatile driver you get a leg up on your main competition.

The only fear I would have doing this is that ALMS, Champ Car, and Indy would become klind of like the Busch Series, where it is all the same big name NASCAR drivers because the sponsors don't want to give money to a guy trying to work his weigh up.

John's Debate!
The Indy 500 is one of the biggest races you must win if you're racing in America and want to establish yourself in America as one of the best racers in the world. But to be regarded as one of the best racers of all time in America, do you NEED to win the Indy 500? Or can you still be a world-class driver without having won the Indianapolis 500 (requirement: at least one start at Indy)?

What do you think about either my Sound Off and/or my debate question?
First, Danica: I like her as well. I keep pulling for her. I've actually been pulling for all of Andretti-Green lately since they joined ALMS. But I wanted to see Danica win from the beginning because racing is a sport where the physiological differences between men and women are not enough to make a difference (yes, I know physical strength is required in racing in order to handle the car under G-forces). I'm actually cheering for any major new thing that upsets the norm. I want to see a woman win in Indy and I want Toyota to mop up in NASCAR. It helps that Danica seems to be very personable. Although, I do have to say that when she gets angry on the radio she needs to calm down. It occured to me that when it is a burly southern NASCAR driver or foreign man with an accent angry comes off as angry. When a woman does it and her voice goes up in pitch she sounds whiney or like you expect her to cry. The radio could be a part of it, but it just makes her sound bad.

I don't think you need to win the Indy 500 to be considered one of the best anywhere. It definitely adds to the prestige, but how many greats in any sport don't win the ultimate victory? If a guy, over his career, won each race at least once, except the Indy 500, would he not be one of the best? I think sports puts too much weight on certain individual events because they either have a special trophy or a historic significance. I think it is especially bad in team sports because one man doesn't run the whole team. Individual sports have a better argument for blaming the man. Now, racing is often confused as an individual sport, but it is a team sport. Sometimes a race can be lost by a bad pit stop, which is due to the pit crew, not the driver.

Basically, the best drivers in America do not need to win the Indy 500 to be recognized as such.

Basically, the best drivers in America do not need to win the Indy 500 to be recognized as such.
I think most race fans know that. For example, Michael Andretti is recognized as one of America's best open wheel drivers even though he's never won the Indy 500. However, he obviously still wants to win it and break the Andretti Curse.

2007 Milwaukee 225 Starting Lineup
1 | 3 | Helio Castroneves (BRA) | Team Penske | 0:21.3596 | 171.071 MPH
2 | 9 | Scott Dixon (NZL) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing | 0:21.5873 | 169.266 MPH
3 | 11 | Tony Kanaan (BRA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:21.6011 | 169.158 MPH
4 | 10 | Dan Wheldon (GBR) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing | 0:21.6089 | 169.097 MPH
5 | 6 | Sam Hornish Jr. (USA) | Team Penske | 0:21.7166 | 168.258 MPH
6 | 55 | Kosuke Matsuura (JPN) | Super Aguri Panther Racing | 0:21.8199 | 167.462 MPH
7 | 15 | Buddy Rice (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing | 0:21.8207 | 167.456 MPH
8 | 20 | Ed Carpenter (USA) | Vision Racing | 0:21.8716 | 167.066 MPH
9 | 4 | Vitor Meira (BRA) | Panther Racing | 0:21.8827 | 166.981 MPH
10 | 27 | Dario Franchitti (GBR) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:21.8947 | 166.890 MPH
11 | 8 | Scott Sharp (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing | 0:21.9150 | 166.735 MPH
12 | 22 | A.J. Foyt IV (USA) | Vision Racing | 0:21.9691 | 166.325 MPH
13 | 2 | Tomas Scheckter (RSA) | Vision Racing | 0:21.9739 | 166.288 MPH
14 | 26 | Marco Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:22.0108 | 166.009 MPH
15 | 14 | Darren Manning (GBR) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises | 0:22.1758 | 164.774
16 | 5 | Sarah Fisher (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing | 0:22.2890 | 163.937 MPH
17 | 7 | Danica Patrick (USA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:22.3396 | 163.566
18 | 17 | Jeff Simmons (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing | No Time | No Speed

The 2007 Milwaukee 225 airs on Sunday, May 27, 2007, 4:00 PM EDT on ABC!

Man... a tough go for Wisconsin-born Danica Patrick. I think Danica has to keep up positive momentum from Indy. She has to bring the pain as best as possible. She knows what she signed up for. She's got to make it happen. I had Dan Wheldon winning Indy as a surprise pick. He may return to the win column if he gets it done in Milwaukee. How about a brief FACT OR FICTION?

The Milwaukee 225 - FACT OR FICTION?

1. Marco Andretti will fail to finish.

2. Danica Patrick will finish in the Top 10.

3. At least two drivers from Great Britain will occupy the podium finishers.

4. At least one Andretti Green Racing entry will not finish.

5. A.J. Foyt IV will finish.

Just five of 'em. How about it?

2007 Milwaukee 225 Race Results
1 | 11 | Tony Kanaan (BRA) | Andretti Green Racing
2 | 27 | Dario Franchitti (GBR) | Andretti Green Racing
3 | 10 | Dan Wheldon (GBR) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
4 | 9 | Scott Dixon (NZL) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
5 | 4 | Vitor Meira (BRA) | Panther Racing
6 | 8 | Scott Sharp (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
7 | 20 | Ed Carpenter (USA) | Vision Racing
8 | 7 | Danica Patrick (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
9 | 6 | Sam Hornish Jr. (USA) | Team Penske
10 | 17 | Jeff Simmons (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
11 | 14 | Darren Manning (GBR) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises
12 | 55 | Kosuke Matsuura (JPN) | Super Aguri Panther Racing
13 | 22 | A.J. Foyt IV (USA) | Vision Racing
14 | 5 | Sarah Fisher (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
15 | 26 | Marco Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
16 | 3 | Helio Castroneves (BRA) | Team Penske
17 | 2 | Tomas Scheckter (RSA) | Vision Racing
18 | 15 | Buddy Rice (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Congratulations to Tony Kanaan for winning the 2007 Milwaukee 225.

irl-2007-mil-tm-0080.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0082.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0067.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0068.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0059.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0060.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0062.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0076.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0064.jpg

irl-2007-mil-tm-0066.jpg

The Milwaukee 225 - FACT OR FICTION?

1. Marco Andretti will fail to finish.

2. Danica Patrick will finish in the Top 10.

3. At least two drivers from Great Britain will occupy the podium finishers.

4. At least one Andretti Green Racing entry will not finish.

5. A.J. Foyt IV will finish.
All of your predictions were correct! :bowdown:

These aren't predictions. I try to be as random as possible. It's basically "True or False?" Unfortunately, all my statements ended up FACT. Now let me provide a debate question as the IRL comes into my home state, but in northern Texas (unless someone can arrange a Southeast Texas course). Here's the debate:

John's Debate! - Dan/Danica Dispute
Dan Wheldon's left-rear tire tagged Danica's right-front. Despite a nice save by Danica going into the grass, she went lapped and eventually finished 8th (back on the lead lap). After the race, Danica gave Dan Wheldon a-talkin' to for the incident on the race track. How do you think Danica handled the incident at Milwaukee? Do you think we're seeing a different side of Danica Patrick? Is this the budding of a new rivalry? How do you think the Dan/Danica tussle at Milwaukee will play out the rest of the year?

Sound off, ladies and gentlemen. Danica Patrick won't be fined for her actions. Which is good considering that there wasn't any sort of fisticuffs or threats. Danica's not Tony Stewart or Kurt Busch. She knows better.

Dan Wheldon's left-rear tire tagged Danica's right-front. Despite a nice save by Danica going into the grass, she went lapped and eventually finished 8th (back on the lead lap). After the race, Danica gave Dan Wheldon a-talkin' to for the incident on the race track. How do you think Danica handled the incident at Milwaukee? Do you think we're seeing a different side of Danica Patrick? Is this the budding of a new rivalry? How do you think the Dan/Danica tussle at Milwaukee will play out the rest of the year?

Sound off, ladies and gentlemen. Danica Patrick won't be fined for her actions. Which is good considering that there wasn't any sort of fisticuffs or threats. Danica's not Tony Stewart or Kurt Busch. She knows better.

Hasn't Dan Wheldon already had a go at Katherine Legge? - he's not going to be popular with the female racing fraternity is he?

Slightly off topic, but i've just found out that Danica has never actually won any professional motor race of any kind!

I honestly didn't think much of it. This isn't NASCAR where rivalries can build up and suddenly there's unnecessary bumping and rubbing (is it ever necessary?). I'm sure Dan didn't want to touch tires anymore than she did. If he starts making a habit of getting dangerously close to people then it may turn into something, but a one-time accident due to whatever shouldn't amount to more than her being frustrated because she was doing well. I would probably have words too if that happened to me, but a professional driver focuses on the race.

Of course, she may be getting frustrated at her critics and she may be starting to show some anger where she didn't before. She hasn't been a grudge holder in teh past, but that may change.

Slightly off topic, but i've just found out that Danica has never actually won any professional motor race of any kind!
That is the complaints of her critics. She is good and has talent, usually finishing in the top ten. But previously she didn't seem to have good team support (or whatever her issue was) and this season she has good team support but seems to have had a bout of bad luck with pit incidents, getting bumped, pit strategy not working out, etc. Heck I even suspect that at Indy she had team orders on the restart just before the first rain delay. Kanaan had a faster car than Andretti and we know that Andretti was told to give Kanaan the pass if he goes for it. Kanaan made the pass and then teh car behind Danica (no clue who was in it) shoots over for a look and a split second later she shoots over like she was looking to pass, blocking the 4th place car, but never even attempts to pass Andretti when even she seemed faster than him. I was suspicious of what her team orders might have been because a rain cancellation would have finished the team 1,2,3 for the first time in history and which person actually won probably wasn't a concern so long as they all three made it in that order. Of course I may have just been seeing things.

My question about Milwaukee is the Penske cars. Both cars suddenly had rear wing issues at nearly the same time. Penske is the last team that I would expect to see something like that from. Did anybody hear what happened? The race ran long so ABC switched off and said post-race would be covered on Sportscenter, but I didn't want to sit through NBA, NHL, and MLB coverage to see them very briefly touch on the race.

I'm sorry to bring up another sport in a racing discussion, but think about Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts. Before this past NFL season, him and his Colts were credited as a team that "couldn't win the big one." Time and time again, they'd lose to the New England Patriots. People known Peyton had talent and was more than capable to win himself a Lombardi Trophy. What does this have to do with my debate question? I think Danica Patrick has plenty of talent. She's won a few poles. She's been named the Bombardier (Can-Am nowadays, right? Since most Americans failed to pronounce Bombardier correctly?) Rookie of the Year. I still say the only thing she hasn't done was highest finish by a lady. Danica's highest is fourth; Sarah Fisher's highest is 2nd. Danica's going to win a race someday. Hell, she may win her first race in my home state of Texas this weekend. She could be in victory lane in your state of Kentucky, FoolKiller. She's going to win. She's going to prove that she's not a bust for Andretti Green Racing. I would more than love to see Danica cross the line as the race winner or have announcers call her the winner of some race. Granted there aren't 43 cars to a track in the IndyCar Series (or even if every race had 33 cars like at Indy), getting into the Top 10 is still as special as winning the race. Danica has a pretty good rate of completing races. I checked Wikipedia on Danica Patrick, and as I learned, she has been involved in 36 races heading into Texas. She has completed 29 out of 36 races. She has 7 DNF's. She would have been in 37 races, but thanks to the death of Paul Dana when she was with Rahal-Letterman, the team withdrew their entries for the weekend. She completes races at a great rate. Doesn't get into trouble all the time. Doesn't cause wrecks all the time. Doesn't talk any bullcrap to fans or the media... just a talented and respectful racer. She's a year older than me.

Now let me answer my own debate question.

You mention rubbing and stuff, FoolKiller. Can't try rubbing with IndyCar machines because you'll end up tagging another car's tierod and it's game over. The fact that Danica is in a series like this one shows that you have to be fit and talented. I've never thought of Danica as some pretty little angel prior to what happened at Milwaukee on Sunday. In fact, she never was. Mrs. Patrick is not a passive racer. Can a passive racer take the lead at Indianapolis and actually sustain it for as long as he or she can? The incident didn't seem much like anyone was in any real wrong. I just think that Dan Wheldon tried to make a pass on Danica when Dan's left rear tagged Danica's right front. Even with an ill-handling car, she managed to finish 8th on the lead lap. As for Danica's talkin' to with Dan Wheldon, I actually respect Dan Wheldon. On ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" yesterday, Wheldon said that if instead of Danica having some words with him, and if it was another guy, he'd probably fight back. Do I think Danica's asking for trouble by subjecting herself as she did on Sunday? Probably. Speed Channel's Robin Miller said that this was good for the IndyCar Series because someone brought some personality to the series. I don't think Danica put down her fans or lost any of my respect. I do know that the black/sky blue Motorola car and the red/white Target car will likely cross paths again on an oval or a road course someday. Anyone expecting a hardcore rivalry (and I agree with FoolKiller) between Danica Patrick and Dan Wheldon like it's NASCAR will have to wake up and smell the roses. The IndyCar Series is more civilized than NASCAR. Time and time again, I've seen NASCAR folks wreck themselves and climb out the car and throw something at the driver who crashed him (like a helmet or a glove). Automotive savagery and Hollywood drama isn't played out in the IndyCar Series like in most NASCAR races. It's one of the reasons why I gotten into the IndyCar Series even before Danica Patrick. Even when I made my first post on GTPlanet on December 5, 2003, I still remember PunkRock telling me, "Please tell me you're not a fan of the latter excuse of a racing series." Only thing I can expect from this rivalry is greater intensity and focus on the behalf of both drivers. So let the Dale Jr. "fanboys" find any excuse to hate on Danica whenever she does something they don't like. Only thing I agreed on was that Todd Harris was all into Danica Patrick.

My comments: just do your thing, Danica. Take the car to victory lane and make your fans proud to be racing fans.

2007 Texas 550 Starting Lineup
1 | 8 | Scott Sharp (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing | 0:24.3334 | 215.260 MPH
2 | 6 | Sam Hornish Jr. (USA) | Team Penske | 0:24.4175 | 214.518 MPH
3 | 27 | Dario Franchitti (GBR) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:24.4297 | 214.411 MPH
4 | 11 | Tony Kanaan (BRA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:24.4945 | 213.844 MPH
5 | 3 | Helio Castroneves (BRA) | Team Penske | 0:24.5538 | 213.327 MPH
6 | 7 | Danica Patrick (USA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:24.5600 | 213.274 MPH
7 | 9 | Scott Dixon (NZL) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing | 0:24.5939 | 212.980 MPH
8 | 17 | Jeff Simmons (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing | 0:24.6154 | 212.794 MPH
9 | 2 | Tomas Scheckter (RSA) | Vision Racing | 0:24.6244 | 212.716 MPH
10 | 10 | Dan Wheldon (GBR) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing | 0:24.6303 | 212.665 MPH
11 | 14 | Darren Manning (GBR) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises | 0:24.6475 | 212.516 MPH
12 | 26 | Marco Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing | 0:24.6764 | 212.268 MPH
13 | 4 | Vitor Meira (BRA) | Panther Racing | 0:24.7043 | 212.028 MPH
14 | 19 | Jon Herb (USA) | Racing Professionals | 0:24.7638 | 211.518 MPH
15 | 55 | Kosuke Matsuura (JPN) | Super Aguri Panther Racing | 0:24.8563 | 210.731 MPH
16 | 20 | Ed Carpenter (USA) | Vision Racing | 0:24.8958 | 210.397 MPH
17 | 15 | Buddy Rice (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing | 0:24.9011 | 210.352 MPH
18 | 22 | A.J. Foyt IV (USA) | Vision Racing | 0:24.9035 | 210.332 MPH
19 | 5 | Sarah Fisher (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing | 0:24.9224 | 210.172 MPH
20 | 23 | Milka Duno (VEN) | SAMAX Motorsport | 0:25.2280 | 207.626 MPH

The 2007 Texas 550 airs on Saturday, June 9, 2007, 10:00 PM EDT on ESPN2!

2007 Portland GP Starting Lineup
1 | 9 | Justin Wilson (GBR) | RSPORTS | 0:58.000 | 121.903 MPH
2 | 14 | Robert Doornbos (NED) | Minardi Team USA | 0:58.214 | 121.455 MPH
3 | 1 | Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) | Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing | 0:58.308 | 121.260 MPH
4 | 8 | Alex Tagliani (CAN) | RSPORTS | 0:58.363 | 121.145 MPH
5 | 22 | Tristan Gommendy (FRA) | PKV Racing | 0:58.399 | 121.071 MPH
6 | 15 | Simon Pagenaud (FRA) | Team Australia | 0:58.448 | 120.969 MPH
7 | 5 | Will Power (AUS) | Team Australia | 0:58.469 | 120.926 MPH
8 | 2 | Graham Rahal (USA) | Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing | 0:58.639 | 120.575 MPH
9 | 4 | Dan Clarke (GBR) | Minardi Team USA | 0:58.692 | 120.466 MPH
10 | 21 | Neel Jani (SUI) | PKV Racing | 0:58.805 | 120.235 MPH
11 | 7 | Oriol Servia (ESP) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:58.926 | 119.988 MPH
12 | 34 | Jan Heylen (BEL) | Conquest Racing | 0:59.181 | 119.471 MPH
13 | 3 | Paul Tracy (CAN) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:59.418 | 118.994 MPH
14 | 19 | Bruno Junqueira (BRA) | Dale Coyne Racing | 0:59.696 | 118.440 MPH
15 | 29 | Alex Figge (USA) | Pacific Coast Motorsports | 0:59.708 | 118.416 MPH
16 | 11 | Katherine Legge (GBR) | Dale Coyne Racing | 1:00.421 | 117.019 MPH
17 | 28 | Ryan Dalziel (GBR) | Pacific Coast Motorsports | 1:04.275 | 110.002 MPH

The 2007 Portland GP airs on Sunday, June 10, 2007, 4:00 PM EDT on ABC!

Oh, man... my heart was beating for Danica to win at Texas. I think she's faded in a too little, too late deal. This is still her best finish in the IndyCar Series. I think Danica wanted a win so she could silence her critics. Even though Dan Wheldon unfortunately crashed out, he raced Danica hard. Did you all see the first laps of this race at Texas? Danica came of age at Indy in 2005. This time, she's REALLY come of age in picking up her first podium finish. Danica really scared me. Almost felt like I was going to pass out the closer Danica got to the Kannan/Hornish Jr. dog fight. I had a lot of respect for Danica. Now I have even more. She's going to win in the IndyCar Series. Danica is evolving and evolving to hopefully a contender. She just has to keep up this kind of performance to make something happen. I'm proud of Danica. I tell you, a little more momentum, and she probably would have passed either or both cars down the stretch. The dream scenario I was envisioning was that there'd be a three-wide finish at Texas where it's a Hornish Jr./Kannan/Patrick fight. And in the dream circumstance, Danica would somehow win. But even I said "it's going for a miracle at this point for Danica to win" since she's been fading down the stretch. She gave it her all and damn it, she may be from the Midwest, but she was definitely Texas Tough tonight.

How about a little discussion? Here goes:

John's Debate! Impressions on Danica at Texas
1. Have your opinions about Danica Patrick changed after her impressive run? If you dislike her, have you garnered any respect for Danica after this race? If you like her, has she really shown you something after this performance? Please explain your reasoning.

Congratulations to Sam Hornish Jr. This was one hell of a fight.

2007 Texas 550 Race Results
1 | 6 | Sam Hornish Jr. (USA) | Team Penske
2 | 11 | Tony Kanaan (BRA) | Andretti Green Racing
3 | 7 | Danica Patrick (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
4 | 27 | Dario Franchitti (GBR) | Andretti Green Racing
5 | 4 | Vitor Meira (BRA) | Panther Racing
6 | 17 | Jeff Simmons (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
7 | 8 | Scott Sharp (USA) | Rahal Letterman Racing
8 | 15 | Buddy Rice (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
9 | 55 | Kosuke Matsuura (JPN) | Super Aguri Panther Racing
10 | 5 | Sarah Fisher (USA) | Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
11 | 23 | Milka Duno (VEN) | SAMAX Motorsport
12 | 9 | Scott Dixon (NZL) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
13 | 14 | Darren Manning (GBR) | A.J. Foyt Enterprises
14 | 2 | Tomas Scheckter (RSA) | Vision Racing
15 | 10 | Dan Wheldon (GBR) | Target Chip Ganassi Racing
16 | 3 | Helio Castroneves (BRA) | Team Penske
17 | 22 | A.J. Foyt IV (USA) | Vision Racing
18 | 20 | Ed Carpenter (USA) | Vision Racing
19 | 26 | Marco Andretti (USA) | Andretti Green Racing
20 | 19 | Jon Herb (USA) | Racing Professionals

Congratulations to Sam Hornish Jr. for winning the 2007 Texas 550!

As for Danica Patrick, I've been a fan of her since 2005. She had a great run last night, and I too believe it's only a matter of time before she starts winning races.

I also found myself wishing that today's IndyCars were more like the Champ Cars of the late 90s/early 00s during the race. Those Champ Cars generated a much bigger draft which enabled drivers to pull off amazing slingshot passes. I would've loved to see Sam, Tony, and Danica dueling like that during the closing laps.

Oh, man... my heart was beating for Danica to win at Texas. I think she's faded in a too little, too late deal. This is still her best finish in the IndyCar Series.
In terms of just final position, certainly.... but I'd still have to say her performance in the '05 Indy 500 is still her biggest accomplishment.

After all not only is the Indy 500 one of the most competitive and demanding races in the world, but she finished fourth against 32 other drivers over 500 miles, finishing ahead of 29 other drivers, some very respectable drivers (Lazier, Franchitti, Sharp, Kanaan, Castroneves, Scheckter, Hornish, Dixon, etc)

Not only was she the first woman to ever lead the Indy 500, but she led the race on three separate occasions for a total of nearly 50 miles. In addition, she showed remarkable driving skills when she recovered from what should have been a race ending spin (only the fourth driver in history to recover from a spin in the Indy 500).

The Texas 550 by comparison she was up against only 19 other drivers (13 fewer than at Indy) and the race was 150 miles shorter. She also only led the race for two laps (1.3 miles) compared to 48 miles at Indy.

I agree that it was an important milestone in her career to get her first podium finish. she drove an excellent race in Texas, and I really like her aggressive, yet controlled style of racing, which has been steadily improving over the last couple years. I also feel she deserves major kudos for showing some serious grit last week by justifiably getting in the face of Dan Wheldon and reminding him in front of a few million viewers that he was an idiot. Frankly, as well as she was driving and her car was performing at the time of the “accident”, I think she had a great shot at even winning a very tough race at the Milwaukee Mile.

That said, I still very strongly believe her finish in the '05 Indy 500 is still by far her greatest accomplishment to date, but like you, I also strongly believe she is more than due for her first win! 👍

2007 Portland GP Race Results
1 | 1 | Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) | Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing
2 | 9 | Justin Wilson (GBR) | RSPORTS
3 | 14 | Robert Doornbos (NED) | Minardi Team USA
4 | 5 | Will Power (AUS) | Team Australia
5 | 8 | Alex Tagliani (CAN) | RSPORTS
6 | 4 | Dan Clarke (GBR) | Minardi Team USA
7 | 22 | Tristan Gommendy (FRA) | PKV Racing
8 | 15 | Simon Pagenaud (FRA) | Team Australia
9 | 2 | Graham Rahal (USA) | Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing
10 | 3 | Paul Tracy (CAN) | Forsythe Championship Racing
11 | 7 | Oriol Servia (ESP) | Forsythe Championship Racing
12 | 21 | Neel Jani (SUI) | PKV Racing
13 | 19 | Bruno Junqueira (BRA) | Dale Coyne Racing
14 | 28 | Ryan Dalziel (GBR) | Pacific Coast Motorsports
15 | 34 | Jan Heylen (BEL) | Conquest Racing
16 | 29 | Alex Figge (USA) | Pacific Coast Motorsports
17 | 11 | Katherine Legge (GBR) | Dale Coyne Racing

Congratulations to Sebastien Bourdais for winning the 2007 Portland GP.

20070610P_0014.jpg

20070610P_0041.jpg

20070610P_0044.jpg

20070610P_0001.jpg

20070610P_0010.jpg

I'm afraid I can no longer spend as much time posting detailed results and pictures. Even though I love this sport, I realize I need focus on getting through college. From now on, I'll just post links to the results and the winner of each race. Remember that you can always find the schedule and the details of both series on the first page. And feel free to post any pictures you find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back