2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
My God there's some nice looking cars in the central muscle cars. The Falcons and Monaro's look amazing

Qualifying certainty did some guys no favours, Lowndes in particular. Not excited to see SVG on pole for both

Huge damage for Bright in a bit of a strange incident. Restarts usually breed more dramas around here

Yep. I wouldn't be pulling into the pits after the race if I was him, I'd be heading straight to the track exit. Todd is going to rip him a new one.

It released Lowndes at least. Todd's rarely fast but he sure does seem hard to pass.

Edit: FFS dale. Such a turkey.

Hahaha, oh Dale. Hang your boots up now. Blaming your boss for your mistakes won't get you many new employers.

Be more of the same next race. Shame, should have just changed the format like they usually do and combined the two races.

Sorry for the double...
Dale Wood will need a miracle to get a seat for next year.... The Maldonado of V8 Supercars, just with a hell of a lot less talent.
Should get the boot next race for this
9692e241-c2e4-4512-84d5-f5cbfac2de1f_800.jpg

Sorry for the double...

Should get the boot next race for this
9692e241-c2e4-4512-84d5-f5cbfac2de1f_800.jpg

Who says it was him that wrote it? Could be a mechanic that is sick of fixing the thing. Bit of an over reaction.

Last edited:
Read again...
Well, if they're making jokes, it should read, "Would suit a female driver".

It says it's had one lady driver...
...my reference being directed at Simona being that woman to get the seat.

And...

This vv
No because someone out there would get into a tissy about it being sexist somehow.

Edit: Needed Pye to hold that 10th.

Last edited:
Alright, hate SVG all you want but that comment on the last lap was hilarious.

Edit: Scotty 22 points out from Lowndes. Getting there...

Last edited:
So I was just reading about the new Volkswagen Amorak V6 TDI that's coming out soon. 180kW, 550Nm with 580Nm available for 10 seconds on overboost. It's capable of 0-100km/h in a claimed 7.1 seconds.
It got me thinking about how the organisers of the new Dualcab Diesels are going to balance the performance of this against a Ford Ranger, Holden Colorado, Nissan Navara and, should anyone be brave enough, a Great Wall or Tata. Will there be a control tyre? If so, will they all have to run a control wheel package as these models come with a variety of different sized wheels.
What about gearboxes? Diffs? Weights? Brakes?
With so many variables, anyone planning on running in this class will want to choose wisely.

They could just use a control chassis and make them have a shell that looks like each car(like in Nascar trucks).

There will some control components. What those are, we'll have to wait and see.
The new SuperUtes category will be based around production turbo-diesel dual-cab SUVs which will replace the current Ford Falcon/Holden Commodore-based models that have underpinned the V8 Utes series since its inception in 2001.

Supercars has confirmed the new platform will be open to all manufacturers with the change of concept designed to conform with the current Ute market trends.

The V8 Utes Series had planned to adopt dual cab SUV bodies on a purpose-built control platform as part of its plan to shake up the series before Supercars took over last year.

The new formula will, however, see production-based vehicles fitted with a variety of control components.

SuperUtes has been earmarked as a key Supercars support category for next season with the series due to begin at Townsville from July 7-9.

“V8 Utes has been a popular and entertaining category but with the changing automotive market it’s important that the Utes series becomes more market relevant,” said Supercars Managing Director Matt Braid.

“Utilising production based turbo-diesel dual cab Utes currently available for sale in the Australian market, SuperUtes will open the category to a variety of new manufacturers while still maintaining the spectacular and entertaining elements that make the category such a favourite with the fans.”

They could just use a control chassis and make them have a shell that looks like each car(like in Nascar trucks).
I'm glad they're not going down this road.
I can't see any manufacturers being interested unless it's a majority production based formula. Even so, some may well be 'Meh' 👎

I'm glad they're not going down this road.
I can't see any manufacturers being interested unless it's a majority production based formula. Even so, some may well be 'Meh' 👎
The thing is, if they are going to be production based they are going to be incredibly slow.

Slow doesn't equate to not fun. For all their speed, V8 utes weren't that entertaining.
I think they'll much quicker than the Ssangyongs(and the Toyota 86s). See if I can compare lap times for today's races.
http://www.ssangyong.co.nz/actyon-racing-series
These use a Mercedes petrol 2.3L and tread tyres.
If SuperUtes are using slicks, that's quicker times right there.
With so many variables, anyone planning on running in this class will want to choose wisely.
You got that right.

NP300- 140kW/450Nm 2.3L TT(3L V6 TD 170kw/550Nm discontinued)

VW- 120-150-165kW/550Nm 3L TDI V6

Triton- 133kW/430Nm 2.4-litre four

Ranger & BT-50- 147kW/470Nm 3.2-litre five-cylinder

HiLux- 130kW/420kW 2.8-litre four-cylinder

Colorado- 147kW/440Nm 2.8L four-cylinder

D-Max- 130kW/380Nm 3L four-cylinder

Great Wall Steed- 110kW/310Nm 2L four-cylinder

Those are just production specs, they can be increased, but with Ladder frame Chassis, i doubt they are going to be faster then the Toyota 86, unless they pulling some serious power and Chassis modification.

Back