2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
Slow doesn't equate to not fun. For all their speed, V8 utes weren't that entertaining.
I think they'll much quicker than the Ssangyongs(and the Toyota 86s). See if I can compare lap times for today's races.
http://www.ssangyong.co.nz/actyon-racing-series
These use a Mercedes petrol 2.3L and tread tyres.
If SuperUtes are using slicks, that's quicker times right there.

You got that right.

NP300- 140kW/450Nm 2.3L TT(3L V6 TD 170kw/550Nm discontinued)

VW- 120-150-165kW/550Nm 3L TDI V6

Triton- 133kW/430Nm 2.4-litre four

Ranger & BT-50- 147kW/470Nm 3.2-litre five-cylinder

HiLux- 130kW/420kW 2.8-litre four-cylinder

Colorado- 147kW/440Nm 2.8L four-cylinder

D-Max- 130kW/380Nm 3L four-cylinder

Great Wall Steed- 110kW/310Nm 2L four-cylinder
I decided to check out exactly what's available in the 4x2 diesel dual-cab market & I'm just thinking it would be unfair to leave these off the list ;)
From China, the

Foton Tunland - 120kW/360Nm
image.png

and,
JMC Vigus - 88kW/290Nm
image.png

Meanwhile, from India, the

Mahindra - 88kW/280Nm
image.png

and,
Tata Xenon - 110kW/320Nm
image.png

The parity question just got a whole lot harder.

I decided to check out exactly what's available in the 4x2 diesel dual-cab market & I'm just thinking it would be unfair to leave these off the list ;)
From China, the

View attachment 605144
and,
JMC Vigus - 88kW/290Nm
View attachment 605145

Mahindra - 88kW/280Nm
View attachment 605146
and,
Tata Xenon - 110kW/320Nm
View attachment 605147

Also may be harder to make those aesthetically pleasing. Yeesh :scared: :sly:

Say, if the Commodore is to be raced as the liftnack, does that open up wagons to be available?
holden_commodore_main.jpg

From the rear, seems like a big S60/FG X wing or maybe Super GT type wing will have to sit out back.
images

images

From China, the

View attachment 605144
and,
JMC Vigus - 88kW/290Nm
View attachment 605145

Mahindra - 88kW/280Nm
View attachment 605146
and,
Tata Xenon - 110kW/320Nm
View attachment 605147

Yep, ain't gonna be fun if VASC can't get it together in time.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/11/10/mixed-reaction-to-superutes-concept/

V8 Utes stalwarts Sieders Racing has been quick to throw its support behind the new direction for the category.

Team manager Luke Sieders says his operation has already begun tentative discussions with manufacturers.

“I think it it is exciting time for the category to reinvigorate the series and it is something that has to happen,” Sieders told Speedcafe.com.

“It is very early days but we have started to approach manufacturers and spoken to potential sponsors and everyone we have spoken to is pretty excited about it.

“There are so many manufacturers to approach other than Ford and Holden now.

“I think the motorsport platform is a good way to build a reputable brand and I think you will see marques like Great Wall out there.

“That is what the whole concept is all about.”

Although costs have not been communicated to potential competitors, he expects the outlay to be not too dissimilar to the current V8 Utes model.

Sieders says he has no qualms with the switch from V8 to turbo diesel engines, but hopes fans will embrace the concept.

“It will be fairly production based and will keep some of the fundamentals that we have going now,” added Sieders.

“I think it will be competitive with the current Utes to run and I think it will be cheaper because of the way they are going with it.

“Supercars have been quite proactive in keeping the running costs down and they have indicated that is their intention.

“I think like anything change is always a shock to begin with but I think in the end (turbo diesel) is an exciting prospect and fans will embrace it.

“I’m excited about it as we have been involved with diesels before through truck racing. We understand it and not so intimidated by it.”

Meanwhile, Erebus Motorsport, which has previously run in the V8 Utes category, has no plans to rejoin the series it feels will become too expensive and unattractive for fans.

Erebus team manager Barry Ryan has also questioned the move to turbo diesel engines.

“We believe it (dual cab Utes) is the way to go with that style of vehicle but turbo diesel is going to be very expensive and hard to manage,” Ryan told Speedcafe.com.

“We were interested (in the new style Utes) when we were entrenched in the series.

“We agreed it still need to be a V8. I think there is a lot more still to flow under the bridge before that is going to be a financially viable category for people to be involved in.

“The old style Utes were cool because they were a V8. Being fast, cheap and entertaining is going to hard to manage with those style of Utes.”

Sure did change from this idea two years ago
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/04/17/v8-utes-revolution-poised-sign/
The future spec racers will feature a common rail chassis similar to the New Zealand SuperTourers which will run production panels reflective of Ford Rangers, Holden Colorados, Nissan Navaras, Volkswagen Amaroks, Toyota Hiluxes etc and Mazda BT-50s etc.

They will run V8 engines sourced from the donor family of where the manufacturer comes from and will be up to 200kg lighter than the current utes.

All engines would be developed and parity-controlled by category control engine supplier Craig Hasted.

“They will run on treaded tyres and the key balance for the category is we don’t lose the entertainment value and every positive element the category has built up in 12 years of competition,” Denyer said.

“We need to make sure they still slide around and look good. It’s an entertainment category before it’s a motor racing category.

“We’ve got to much sure we don’t lose some of that DNA that has made the category so successful.”
Don't know where they would have sourced a VW V8 from(Bentley?) Or a Mazda V8.

Driving around today, I see utes in a different light now. Hope VASC can get a prototype ready real soon. I'll also be interested to see possible sketches of a production based version.

Edit: I missed this one
Amarok R-Style Concept 2013
volkswagen-amarok-power-pickup-concept_100426716_l.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the V8 Utes aren't exactly my idea of entertainment as it currently is, these regulations aren't going to change that.

I do have to commend the series, though, because if it wasn't around then I'd have no reason to get up and stretch my legs at Clipsal every year.

Djr always have such simple but effective liveries. I guess because they change every few weeks they don't invest in anything too intricate but they work!

They keep the base design and swap the colours out, so they're always recognisable, even when they completely overhaul the sponsors. I'm going to miss that next year.

If you are surprised by this, well then you shouldn't be. :P

NISSAN MOTORSPORT STATEMENT:

Nissan Motorsport confirms the departure of Dale Wood at the end of the 2016 Virgin Australia Supercars season.

Dale joined the team for the season-opening Clipsal 500 this year, racing in the #96 GB Galvanizing Nissan Altima.

"It has been a pleasure having Dale as part of our Team this season,” said team co-owner Rick Kelly.

“Dale has been a great contributor to our progress throughout the season and has been an ever-present positive personality within the team.

“Todd and I, as well as the entire Team, are very thankful for his efforts and we wish him all the best for the future.”

The team will be making further driver announcements at 6:00 am AEST.

And...

http://www.nissanmotorsport.com.au/news/608-de-silvestro-joins-nissan-motorsport

We're delighted to welcome Simona De Silvestro to the team!

Todd Kelly: "“This is a big day for Nissan Motorsport. Simona’s performance at Bathurst this year was outstanding. You could see in the data the amount of potential in Simona. So next year will be very exciting.”

Simona de Silvestro: "In joining Nissan Motorsport, I think the biggest thing is being a factory driver. It’s great to have the trust from Nissan Motorsport to give me the chance to drive for them."

I was kinda expecting her to end up at Nissan, wasn't she hired by Supercars to trial the V6TT configuration? If that's the case then thus seems like a great fit,

Just hope it opens up for GT Academy drivers to have a run.

Edit: Oh yeah. There's a property for sale @505 Conrod Straight if anyone has a cool $2milAUD. That's like $100Euros at the moment.

Last edited:
Just hope it opens up for GT Academy drivers to have a run.

Edit: Oh yeah. There's a property for sale @505 Conrod Straight if anyone has a cool $2milAUD. That's like $100Euros at the moment.
Have you seen the video? Great looking place.

Maybe we could all chip in? :dopey:
One of my earliest memories of watching Bathurst growing up was, imagining what it would be like to live there & watch the race from the verandah.
They never used to have cameras along Conrod so, the camera near Skyline would give us the shot once the cars came into view.

You know their running out of groups month by month it seems like. I find it strange when expense is used to justify joining a racing series, when said manufacture is in a just as expensive or more expensive one...

So in other words you just have money for one series at a time, got ya Hyundai

I'm not surprised really. Although Hyundai have their N brand if you're looking for something on the sport/enthusiast side of things, I can understand them looking at Supercars & thinking how many millions of dollars will it take and, how do we connect this to sales on the showroom floor.
Trying to sell Supercar involvement to any manufacturer is restricted by it being largely a domestic formula.

Back