2017-18 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 401 comments
I thought there wasn't a worse Goalkeeper in the entire galaxy than Nahuel Guzmán...

A wild Loris Karius appears...

-Karius used his hands... it hurts himself and his team in it's confusion...

:ill:

I watched the game in a packed Glasgow bar with around 250 Liverpool supporters - and one Real Madrid supporter... guess who my best mate was? :lol:

To be fair, the atmosphere was surprisingly good, even at the end of the match. My mate is not an ardent supporter of Real but he was cheering them on (quietly), and the only hint of any aggro was when my other mate reacted with horror to the fact that my mate wasn't even paying attention to the TV when Real lifted the trophy :lol:

There were a lot of upset people during the game, however - and with good reason. I firmly believe that Sergio Ramos deliberately injured Mo Salah, and if not for his untimely exit from the game I think Liverpool may have won - they were by far the better side while he was on the pitch, but Real Madrid obviously have such strength in depth that they can bring on one of the world's finest players off the bench... there was a tangible sense of dread in the pub when Bale appeared on the screen for the first time, and there was even a (muted) round of applause/nods of appreciation when he scored his wonder goal.

But, the game was wrecked for me by Ramos - not only did he assault the Liverpool keeper, he blatantly dived and held his hand to his face when he wasn't even touched - and not to mention the tackle that has denied Salah his chance at a CL trophy and now sadly the World Cup as well it would appear. And, it has to be said, the poor Liverpool keeper has probably done enough to end his career there - to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one massive blunder is unfortunate, but two seems like carelessness... and ultimately it cost Liverpool dearly.

Still, it was an entertaining spectacle for one reason or another, but I fear that the influence of cheating players (and the lack of any punishment or serious criticism from those he is paid by) is wrecking the sport... how it can still be so blatant and openly tolerated at the highest level of the game is beyond me - I'm all for a video referee in these games to catch this kind of unacceptable behaviour and make sure that players can no longer get away with it and (literally) laugh in the face of their opponents/supporters. Of course, one would hope that players of such ability might choose not to resort to this level of unsportsmanlike behaviour - but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Still, it was an entertaining spectacle for one reason or another, but I fear that the influence of cheating players (and the lack of any punishment or serious criticism from those he is paid by) is wrecking the sport... how it can still be so blatant and openly tolerated at the highest level of the game is beyond me - I'm all for a video referee in these games to catch this kind of unacceptable behaviour and make sure that players can no longer get away with it and (literally) laugh in the face of their supporters. Of course, one would hope that players of such ability might choose not to resort to this level of unsportsmanlike behaviour - but I am not holding my breath.

A big problem is that players cannot be cited after or outside of a game.

They have changed that in England with regards to diving but only if the referee didn't see it and I think it's happened... I dunno, maybe once or twice so far?

And Zinedine Zidane has resigned as Real Madrid manager, as the only manager ever to win three successive Champions Leagues/European Cups, with a 100% record in continental and intercontinental finals matches, and an average of one trophy every 17 games.

And Zinedine Zidane has resigned as Real Madrid manager, as the only manager ever to win three successive Champions Leagues/European Cups, with a 100% record in continental and intercontinental finals matches, and an average of one trophy every 17 games.
Smells like Perez.

:irked:

My initial thought straight after the final finished was that he will leave. Found out the news from my brother as he let me know my prediction came true. Best time to go given he might have lost a few key players and probably be forced out if they struggle next season, better to let someone else take the credit for that :lol: and to leave on a high with an amazing record, what a legend!

I remember looking forward to watching him play in a charity match but he pulled out due to the sad events in Paris. Shortly afterwards he got the Real Madrid job and in 2.5 seasons in charge to have 3 Champions Leagues and the other major trophies he has won is incredible with the team he had. I doubt any other manager would have done as well. He managed to create a winning aura and consistently have luck on his side, now he is right up there in history as one of the greatest managers of all time without having spent donkey's years in management. Hopefully one day he manages Manchester United, would be good if Bale and Ronaldo join for next season for the time being.

After having several scans in America Doctors there have now said that Lorus Karius suffered a concussion in his collision with Sergio Ramos in the final, two minutes after he did his first blunder gifting Benzema the first goal.

So he had a concussion during the match, how did Liverpool not spot this and then take him off??

So he had a concussion during the match, how did Liverpool not spot this and then take him off??

Because not only was he seeing a doctor associated with club owner John Henry, making me doubt the sensationalist headline more than I typically would, but also people who have concussions, especially sportsmen, usually don't know they're concussed and don't demonstrate the symptoms until after they've finished playing or performing.

It's not like vomit on the jersey or blood out of the eyes; something you'd immediately notice.

Back