2017 ADAC Zurich 24 Hours of NurburgringTouring Cars 

Yea, same, love that they still persist to use the old gen Vipers, and if I remember correctly, the VLN's noise limit is set at 130db, so the so even more mightily impressive that the Viper was over that it seems.

Always loved how the Zakspeed guys found ways to by-pass the rules that ADAC threw at them to seemingly get rid of them. Whether it was interchangeable fuel tanks to by-pass a 90L fuel limit, or getting past a 6.2 Litre engine limit, by simply taking 2-cylinders out of the the standard V10, and "plugging" the holes to make it a V8, since rules state it must use the standard engine block :lol:.

Anyway, aside from that, as you say, nice to see at least one Glickenhaus win it's class (SP-9X I believe), always like the Glickenhaus machines.

I always forget they have silly regulations like that. Makes me like the Viper even more if it was loud enough to be DQ'd. What is the limit anyway? Is it at least over 100db?

If they are to use the same regulation as VLN the limit is 130db and according to the commentators of RLM the Viper was measured at above 130db, which is very loud. I think the fact that most other cars had no problems, and should not have any problems, staying within the limits speaks for itself; it was a silly mistake from the Viper-crew, unless there was some kind of damage to the car of course.

If they are to use the same regulation as VLN the limit is 130db and according to the commentators of RLM the Viper was measured at above 130db, which is very loud. I think the fact that most other cars had no problems, and should not have any problems, staying within the limits speaks for itself; it was a silly mistake from the Viper-crew, unless there was some kind of damage to the car of course.

With that context, it starts to make sense. Although, I'll still argue, doesn't 120+ cars together, or even moderately spread out amount to more than 130db?

With that context, it starts to make sense. Although, I'll still argue, doesn't 120+ cars together, or even moderately spread out amount to more than 130db?

Over that large of an area it's unlikely that the cars together would add up to over 130. The way the mathematics behind db's work (I think) is on a logarithmic basis, which deals with exponential values instead of linear ones. If you add, for example, 10+10 you get 20, but nothing near going from 10^1 to 10^2. Similarly, you can add the noise of a lot of race cars together without a hugely significant increase in overall decibel level.

And....even if it did go above 130 db, if the rules are written on a car by car basis, there probably isn't a rule against the sum volume of all the cars, because this would be fairly ridiculous to enforce or penalize.

The viper crew said that they had to change from endurance to sprint gearbox before the start of the race which has different shift points and is therefor louder.

Now that i'm finally back home in Singapore, i can post that i was overjoyed to be at the race!

And although i don't fancy Audis much, that was a well deserved win. Mad props to the BMW boys for coming in 2nd. Great driving in the wet.

And my vote for best sound? The M6 GT3s. All the whistling and whining and pops and bangs as they come off the throttle was simply awesome.

Yes, i stayed throughout the night... Luckily i was on a BMW M invite with access to all their hospitality zones .

18697982_10154415299637687_2723312558400271384_n.jpg

This was sunrise at 530am on a bridge with cars running by below (i had a car to drive around to various points of the track :) )

18670741_10158874563005604_3374784791599449877_n.jpg

and yes the last 30mins was just insane... i didn't stay long towards the end and made a quick exit. Trying to get out of the ring after the race wld have been impossible otherwise.

Here's a nice sight as the M cars (led by the prototype M8) moved out for their parade lap.

18739835_10158879694565604_6421539261395635336_n.jpg

German frauleins are WOW!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
The viper crew said that they had to change from endurance to sprint gearbox before the start of the race which has different shift points and is therefor louder.
So, in essence, the car was still within regulations, they just went past their own threshold.

Back