2017 Chevrolet Bolt

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 37 comments
A sub 7-second 0-60 time is pretty spunky, and I do wonder how solid that 200 mile range claim is
From what I've heard, the 50-odd miles claimed of the new Volt is pretty much spot-on, so 200 could well be accurate.

Really intrigued by it. Shame the UK probably won't get it, given how unsuccessful the Volt was here.
I'm actually concerned about how it affects road safety, as I'd very likely end up putting all my focus on trying to be better than the guy ahead rather than some much more important parts of my driving, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
That's probably over-thinking it slightly.

Unless you go full-crazy-hypermiler I'd say driving economically probably makes you a better driver. Every MPH counts, so you concentrate a lot harder on anticipating traffic, making smooth inputs to the controls etc. If you're doing it right you should be no slower (if anything, quicker, because you should be braking less) than most other traffic and still use less energy.

Floating C/D pillars are hardly a new thing. It'll be interesting to see how this picks up around here; Teslas still seem to outnumber Volts and Leafs (Leaves?), possibly even combined.
The range/affordability balance thing should make it quite popular, I'd expect. At the moment, you can spend a set amount and get not much range, or spend quite a lot and get a lot. The Bolt isn't a great deal more expensive than a Leaf but goes twice as far, which seems like quite a good deal.

On a slightly different note, I quite like the styling too. Obviously it's not sleek and beautiful, but it's pleasing to the eye. And I really quite like the cabin - high-tech without being weird:

2017-Chevrolet-BoltEV-018-1200x800.jpg

That does look like a nice place to sit. If they could ditch the Meriva and bring this here, that would be an interesting change to the Vaux line-up.

The range/affordability balance thing should make it quite popular, I'd expect. At the moment, you can spend a set amount and get not much range, or spend quite a lot and get a lot. The Bolt isn't a great deal more expensive than a Leaf but goes twice as far, which seems like quite a good deal.

On a slightly different note, I quite like the styling too. Obviously it's not sleek and beautiful, but it's pleasing to the eye. And I really quite like the cabin - high-tech without being weird:

Oh, that's quite pleasant indeed. I'm hoping one shows up at the CIAS next month, so I can take stock first hand.

VXR
That does look like a nice place to sit. If they could ditch the Meriva and bring this here, that would be an interesting change to the Vaux line-up.

Does the Meriva even sell these days? I realize I'm on the outside looking in, but all I've ever read about it made it sound resolutely middle-of-the-road.

It's tailed off a fair bit, but when it first arrived it sold pretty well. The Ford B-Max seems like a relative flop, however. I hardly ever see them.

VXR
If they could ditch the Meriva and bring this here, that would be an interesting change to the Vaux line-up.

I dunno. I thought the belt line kink on the outgoing model really spiced it up (relative to the rest of the Opel/Vauxhall lineup).

The Meriva C will likely replicate the C-pillar disappearing act that's been going on as of late. Probably won't be as rakish as the Bolt, but if there's any room left for an E-variant (a mEriva if you will), then this sort of styling job would be fine as a way of making it more distinguishable model, as modern EVs often are.

Been thinking about the pricing on this versus the Volt.

With the Bolt starting at $37,500, seemingly with no/few options, how much of a better value is it really when comparing it directly to the Volt? The Volt kicks off at $33,170, and also comes with quite a few good options out of the bag. Plus, it has the range extender, and is overall a larger vehicle. I mean, I guess if you're looking for something that is strictly an EV, sure. And if you really need that hatchback, okay. But day-to-day? For most folks? The Volt seems like its the better deal.

Doesn't stop me from wanting the Bolt more, at the moment anyway...

Back