2017 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand PrixFormula 1 

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a stark contrast with the F2 race. If anything, after watching the F1 race, F2 feels like the headliner of the show!

Like the commentator said "In F2 you can throw out the rule book. Every corner is an overtaking opportunity!".

NBC was far from perfect but at least they cared about the product. I fear the new era on the mouse network will be nothing more than a afterthought.

I'll admit I got a little misty eyed as they were saying their goodbyes. You're correct in saying we're probably going to get the bare minimum from ESPN. Back early in the summer Liberty said their current US tv deal was a joke and they were going to do something about it. Well I find it funny that ESPN probably low balled their bid and got it because NBC didn't want to be competing against F1's digital plans for a new direct to consumer platform.

We'll see what March brings but I don't think we will be getting a dedicated US broadcast with extensive pre and post race shows.

I can't breath! :lol:

IMG_20171126_174901.jpg

NBC was far from perfect but at least they cared about the product. I fear the new era on the mouse network will be nothing more than a afterthought.

I hate that I missed this. Ever since the ESPN announcement I was looking forward to what they'd have to say — whenever they were going to say it — and I missed it because my sleep schedule is whacked and I didn't tag the post show to record. :mad:

If you have NBC from your cable service provider you can watch the coverage on the app.

Great end to the season and I like the logo change. Cars should sound great next year - Looking forward to 2018!

Grosjean was Driver Of The Day for me - his meteoric rise from 16th to 11th was spectacular to watch, and the way he passed those other cars while letting the fast cars through under blue flags was amazing. Congratulations too to Kevin Magnussen, who eventually scooped top prize in the "Battle For 13th", arguably the key moment of the race (and that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of Channel 4 as well, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it). Sadly I missed the bit where Sainz's wheel wasn't put on properly as I was doing the dishes at the time - I have certainly learned my lesson and will wait until lap 50 before starting them next time.

The logo looks like the top of the logo. I think they've cropped the image at the wrong point.

Personally, I will miss Will Buxton most of the announce team - but I hope he finds another place to partake (and I imagine he will). I don't like F1 as much as most other series, but I do hope ESPN doesn't turn it into a **** show.

Good run for Bottas and here's to waiting to see the new cars and the last few driver announcements.

3 wins in a Mercedes? I am not impressed

I take it you mean Bottas.

I think personally he did well in his first season with the team. It was always going to be difficult to take on someone like Hamilton, and he's never been in a position where the title is a possibility with a car that could give him said chance. Sure, a couple of the wins were at the expense of Hamilton being further back than normal, but I think Abu Dhabi acted as a potential warning shot for 2018.

Could be totally wrong though. :P

I think personally he did well in his first season with the team. It was always going to be difficult to take on someone like Hamilton, and he's never been in a position where the title is a possibility with a car that could give him said chance. Sure, a couple of the wins were at the expense of Hamilton being further back than normal, but I think Abu Dhabi acted as a potential warning shot for 2018.

All season it's seemed to me the car has suited Hamilton or Bottas, never both at any given track. Bottas is quick, maybe not Hamilton-quick on an equal day but seriously quick... but have Mercedes actually got themselves a driver pairing who can both be favoured by the track at the same time?

Last edited:
To me the F1 field always "feels" as if you have 2-3 genuine super-talents (i.e. wring the neck of any car and make impossible stuff happen - excelling even more when placed in a fantastic machine) about 15-20 guys who are talented F1 drivers who could win...but only with a world-beating car, and then I suspect there are a couple of drivers in each field who would struggle to win a World Driver's Championship even with the best car.

I do think with a car better suited to him, Bottas could be competitive for a WDC. However, is he one of the super-talents?

To me the F1 field always "feels" as if you have 2-3 genuine super-talents (i.e. wring the neck of any car and make impossible stuff happen - excelling even more when placed in a fantastic machine) about 15-20 guys who are talented F1 drivers who could win...but only with a world-beating car, and then I suspect there are a couple of drivers in each field who would struggle to win a World Driver's Championship even with the best car.

To quote Toby Moody from some years back during his MotoGP days:

"No-one is slow. It's just that some are faster than others."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back