2017 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand PrixFormula 1 

I have really come to dislike Vettel over the past 2 races, he nearly took his wing off at several points early race too.

Great job from Max though, even though everyone in my country acts in disgust when I say I am a fan of his. :lol:

Just read the news. Amazing effort by max! Looks like Red Bull have made some good progress lately.

I'm going to hold off on the Vettel incident until I've watched it.

We need to see it from Stroll's car. From Vettel's car there was a black line down the middle of the track. Before the corner his whole car was to the right of that line. At the point of impact he had to wheels over that line. We need to know if that black line was a consistent distance from the left hand edge of the track.

Evidently this was actually quite an enjoyable race. It's just a shame the championship is already done, and will be even more so if Vettel gets done for that post-race contretemps. Well done, Max. Well done, Lewis.

Think Sepang will be missed next year. And not just because it's about the only track Mercedes can't win on. I think it's one of the only decent Tilke tracks around, though that might just be because it was his first and we hadn't yet seen what dreariness he could bring. Still, it's had some good moments. Hope it comes back some time.

Ok I just saw a video from the car behind (who was that?) and Stroll does seem to run wide at the worst time but still, Vettel squeezed him when he had like 10m of spare track and they weren't even racing.

No further action with Vettel/Stroll incident.
Guessing they felt Vettel had enough punishment lol. I mean that's a 5 place grid drop in Suzuka because that almost certainly ripped the driveshaft out the gearbox and damaged it. And since they had already finished he doesn't get to claim DNF to change it for free.

If someone's looking for some penalties for Vettel, maybe it's more reasonable to forget about the silly accident with Stroll (both at fault) and focus on what he did afterwards. I'm not 100% sure but I thought that FIA condemned jumping into another driver's car after the race, according to their road safety campaign or something like that. I remember an interview with Hulkenberg where he asked Liberty Media to "make that legal again because it's cool", and I guess Nico knows F1 rules better than I do. Vettel did that while there was a couple of Race direction cars available where he stopped his car (also without putting the steering wheel back in its place as you should do).

Bwuahahahahahaha. Not content with just ruining his championship chances, Vettel seems to be on a mission to screw up everything good he does - and then blame everyone else.

What's the penality for not leaving the steering wheel in the car (F1 Sporting Regulation 22.5)? I reckon he was thinking 'well, no-one's going to be steering it', but rules is rules.

F1SR 38 suggests that the minimum penalty is 5 seconds added to race time, and it must be applied as it's a clear violation. Not a big deal. However, they could dock him grid positions for next race without possibility of appeal.

I'll get the popcorn. Anything will be well deserved; Vettel is barely one rung above Jason Plato in my book.

EDIT:

Rather perversely, the reason you're not allowed to ride on other people's cars after the race is perfectly illustrated by a certain incident between Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll after the end of the 2017 Malaysian Grand Pr... wait, what?

27.1 The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.

43.3 After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the postrace parc fermé without any unnecessary delay, without receiving any object whatsoever and
without any assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary).

Honestly on this particular issue, I'm sure there won't be any comeback but a sternly wagged finger.

Last edited:
With regards to the Vettel - Stroll accident. It looks like Vettel was still in his racing mode even after the race was already over?
When the race has ended you can even pickup marbles on the side way of the track etc so you do not have to stay on your driving line. Right?

But as already written: no further action.

I also open a couple of ice colds. We have something to celebrate!

PS also want to know about VET taking his wheel and driving on top of another F1 car

In my opinion it was Stroll. But the Dutch commentators only directly blame Vettel. They can leave all. The didn't show the shot from Alonso's car.
Really bad.

At Rtl Deutschland was a more fair analysis with all the footage.

Looking at it from the back angle, they both turned into each other, which is why no further action was made. Both were at fault, but as it was after the race there isn't much point penalising either for a simple misunderstanding. Stroll was even saying in the interviews how he moved over to that side of the track! Misunderstanding, don't do it again, and hope for no gearbox penalties.

Will the spoiled brat get a punishment for not leaving the steering wheel in the car.

I doubt it, the car was never going to be rolled by the marshalls, the race was over and the steering wheel contains a lot of confidential data. I'd have done the same in the circumstances and kept it with me.

PS also want to know about VET taking his wheel and driving on top of another F1 car

That was stupid of him, especially given that the course car was parked right behind Wehrlein.

How can anyone think that was Vettels fault? :lol: Stroll had way more than a cars width of track on the inside and half the width of the track to himself, yet he still feels the need to drift out wide into Vettel. And of course Vettel turned in towards Stroll, what do you expect him to do, follow the very outside of the track on a corner? He still left him loads of room, way more than should of been safe.

And of course Vettel turned in towards Stroll, what do you expect him to do, follow the very outside of the track on a corner?

If Vettel wasn't expecting every car he came across to be crossing onto the marbles then he needs more experience. He should have remembered that all drivers do that and, even if he hadn't, shown more circumspection by not passing so close at such a speed difference.

Rookie-tier error from Vettel.

Hi Venari . I liked your comment about Plato .
I've stopped watching the bttc races purely for that reason . It's the whole attitude of 'I can't get past cleanly , so I'm gonna keep crashing into the back till something breaks'. And to make it worse the worst offenders are always the big names and everyone thinks it's ok ?

If Vettel wasn't expecting every car he came across to be crossing onto the marbles then he needs more experience. He should have remembered that all drivers do that and, even if he hadn't, shown more circumspection by not passing so close at such a speed difference.

Rookie-tier error from Vettel.

What planet are you on? :lol: Vettel expects that the other cars would be paying attention and see a car that's overtaking them. Even if he wasn't using his mirrors, which he definitely should have been, he should at least have seen alongside and in front of him. He would also expect that if a driver wants to run in the marbles, they would go to the outside line going into the corner and not veer to the outside mid corner as someone is going past.

Good race, Ricciardo is the driver of the day for me. As for Vettel/Stroll, it reminds me of an old touring car race (Donington 92 I think) where someone was left behind on the formation lap, tried to catch up to his grid slot, and came together with another car whilst they were warming tyres and not really expecting someone to be passing them. Needless incident really.

I'll miss this track too, seems to flow nicely and great to see the cars at the limit while doing some proper speeds.

How can anyone think that was Vettels fault? :lol: Stroll had way more than a cars width of track on the inside and half the width of the track to himself, yet he still feels the need to drift out wide into Vettel. And of course Vettel turned in towards Stroll, what do you expect him to do, follow the very outside of the track on a corner? He still left him loads of room, way more than should of been safe.
Very easily mate. Initially they showed the incident from Vettel's car. It clearly looks as if he turned into Stroll. After that that they showed the footage from a car behind both of them and that showed that Stroll moved outwards at the same time.

Vettel had 10m of track to play with. Yes I kinda do expect him to follow the outside since he wants to collect rubber.

Overall though I agree with the stewards, neither was totally at fault.

Very easily mate. Initially they showed the incident from Vettel's car. It clearly looks as if he turned into Stroll. After that that they showed the footage from a car behind both of them and that showed that Stroll moved outwards at the same time.

Maybe it's just me then, but I thought it was fairly clear that it wasn't Vettels fault even from his onboard, but maybe it's not as obvious as I thought it was.

Vettel had 10m of track to play with. Yes I kinda do expect him to follow the outside since he wants to collect rubber.

Overall though I agree with the stewards, neither was totally at fault.

The marbles should be anywhere from about 1.5 cars widths from the inside of the track, so when you're 2.5-3 car widths out, there's absolutely no need to go even wider and hug the outside of the corner to get marbles and avoid a car when the track is probably about 5-6 car widths wide.

Good race, big congratulations to Max, he deserves it for all the crap he had to put up with this season.

The Vettel/Stroll incident is one of the more bizarre things we will see this season.

Back