2017 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand PrixFormula 1 

That footage couldn't have been a hot lap as Massa wasn't very far ahead of Perez when they started their hot laps.

Edit: Perez confirmed they were dicing on their out lap.

He confirmed that he was actually having engine troubles, it was just said by him in an interview. There wasn't any blocking he just didn't have the power to maintain and pass, so it looks like they're dicing.

Is it just the speed of the cars tricking me or is the trackside camera footage much improved? Some of the angles on Bottas' lap were fab - low, zoomed in, fast panning. I'm not totally sold on the look of these cars but gotta admit those shots were making them look great in motion. Hope there's more of that sort of direction this year than under Bernie's reign.......

FERRARI IS BACK.

-

I've missed this Vettel-Hamilton qualifying rivalry!

-

People are disappointed that the new pole record isn't that much faster than last year's. But it's a lap record for the track, isn't it?

Apologies for my comments on that previous post. They were childish and not in any way something i should be happy of :ouch::ouch:

Oh-ho-ho, Ladies and Gentlemen...

dgbg.gif

We'll see during the first 5 laps. If LH doesn't say, "My rear tyres are graining. C'mon guyyyyyys...", it'll be a good race.

Other than that, can't wait to see how close they can follow with all this new found grip.

Can't help but chuckle seeing Hamilton hanging out the side of the car with safety messages posted allover it. Guess it doesn't matter at golfcart speeds.
Can't wait to see how tomorrow's race will pan out. So exciting.

Teams as they stand after this qualifying, compared to where they were at the end of 2016. Could totally be a fluke, but hell, it's interesting.

Mercedes =
Ferrari ^
Red Bull v
Haas ^^^^
Williams =
Toro Rosso ^
Force India vvvv
Renault =
McLaren vvv
Sauber =

My predictions pre-testing:

Mercedes =
Red Bull =
Ferrari =
Force India =
McLaren ^
Haas ^^
Williams vv
Toro Rosso v
Renault =
Sauber =

-

Granted, much of that difference is due to Grosjean's amazing performance this weekend. But let's see how they do in the race before we celebrate.

Not a good session for McLaren. Good job to Alonso for getting up to 13th, but let's see if that motor will last an entire race.

Weird place for Ricciardo to lose the back end. Normally I'd expect the rear of the car to get loose on the exit of a low-speed corner, and not when turning in for a medium-high speed corner where you're probably more worried about understeering wide.

So the two questions on my mind are;

1. PEBWAS (problem exists between wheel and seat), or did something on the car go amiss in that corner?
2. Can Red Bull get the car fixed without needing to swap out the gearbox? That's crucial now as it will decide whether Ricciardo is 10th or 15th on the grid...

It's going to be all about the start tomorrow, much more emphasis on the drivers than last year. Now there is a chance to make up for a bad qualifying effort or move from the midfield up the order (hear me Grosjean?). Should be fun.

Sirotkin, Rowland and Aitken
Sirotkin displayed some pretty good racecraft last year; there were a couple of times where he really had to make a move stick and he found a way through.

Aitken wasn't bad, but I think he was stymied by his equipment at times.

Rowland ... well, he was pretty dirty at times; Hockenheim stood out in particular. He made a few moves that were Verstappen-like, but unlike Verstappen, he never looked like he had full control over the car. The Hockenheim moves stood out because he took a hell of a lot on faith.

Yep these new mini splits are a negative for me. Lewis in beast mode and since there is no Nico I'll be rooting for him a bit more, Hope Ferrari can step up tomorrow.

I think tomorrow is going to be a disaster of a race though.

Yep these new mini splits are a negative for me. Lewis in beast mode and since there is no Nico I'll be rooting for him a bit more, Hope Ferrari can step up tomorrow.

I think tomorrow is going to be a disaster of a race though.

I agree, I feel there will be more wrecks, and as the cars get faster and lighter through the race the worse it will be.

I rely on the safety car. Standing starts after every safety car almost guarantees more leader changes combined with the new starting procedure.

Sounds like Jolyon Palmer is going to do the full Maldonado, claiming that "everything conspired against him":

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128640/palmer-everything-has-conspired-against-me

He hasn't accused the team of plotting against him ... yet.

I agree, I feel there will be more wrecks, and as the cars get faster and lighter through the race the worse it will be.
When Ricciardo went off, Brundle noted that when the drivers turn in, they can pass the point of no return quite easily if there's too much slip angle. A lot of the aerodynamic changes - the front wing, barge boards, scalloped sidepods and diffuser - move most of the aero grip under the car. If you rotate the car too much, all of the aero grip washes out and you lose the car.

So happy to see HAAS doing this good.
Also really happy to see Kvyat has gained his selfconfidence back. Means we now have 2 STR's instead of just 1 like last year battling for points!

I approve 👍

Ricciardo's accident looks exactly the same as Palmer's on Friday. Turns into a fast corner, and the car just seems to spin for no reason. Maybe we'll see a few more of these types of accidents over the season. Same thing could be said for Raikkonen and Bottas' respective accidents in testing.

Ricciardo's accident looks exactly the same as Palmer's on Friday. Turns into a fast corner, and the car just seems to spin for no reason.
Palmer's was a typical accident for that corner. Get on the throttle too soon, and you lose the rear. Ricciardo's was unusual because he was already sideways before the apex.

Back