2017 Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 338 comments
If not the textbook definition of a block, it was certainly a move that forced Grosjean to brake earlier than normal. Lewis is on the outside and appears to be letting Romain through, and then suddenly cuts in front as Grosjean enters the braking zone. It's like Hamilton either wasn't looking in his mirrors at all, or freaked out about the idea of getting caught behind Grosjean on the next lap and gunned it last second. Drivers have been penalized for less in the past.

However as we saw with the Vettel incident in Baku the FIA have have a rather more lenient set of rules for championship contenders, so I'm not surprised there's no penalty.

Agree totally. While maybe in a perfect world if Grosjean could have predicted that Hamilton would suddenly speed up again, he wouldn't have needed to slow down. However I reckon there still would be a level of doubt and hesitance as they did get quite close - as you can see from the video. From the looks of some replies people aren't even looking at what's happening and just instead writing it off because it's prisonermonkeys.

I think Haas' team boss summed it up really well. Grosjean's lap probably wasn't going to take pole, but they're fighting for something just as much as Mercedes is. There shouldn't be any equality issues.

Last edited:
What's the "countdown to 1000" hashtag that I keep seeing on the trackside signage? I've noticed it around Woodcote and the old pit straight. I'm guessing that it's the countdown to the one thousandth Grand Prix. But if so, which Grand Prix will be number one thousand?
This weekend is GP number 966. I have no idea what the countdown thing means.

This weekend is GP number 966.
Is it?

I suppose it depends on when you start counting. The 1950 British Grand Prix was the first World Championship race, but the 1946 Turin Grand Prix was the first race to use Formula One regulations.

I have no idea what the countdown thing means.
1000 is a pretty big milestone, so I guess that's what they're counting down to.

I suppose it depends on when you start counting. The 1950 British Grand Prix was the first World Championship race, but the 1946 Turin Grand Prix was the first race to use Formula One regulations.

Further to @Jimlaad43's comments, I made a reply about this to @Dotini the other day: F1 as a championship didn't begin until Silverstone 1950. Today is the 966th race run to the formula with FIA championship ratification. Other races which used the formula but which didn't contribute to the ratified championship don't normally count outside pedantic definitions.

The last race of this season will be the 976th race. We'll be at 997 races at the end of 2018 so we'll hit 1000 at the 3rd race of the 2019 season. If the 2019 calendar is in the same order as 2018* then that's Bahrain.

*That's a big IF, but F1 is IF backwards as Muzza used to say.

If not the textbook definition of a block, it was certainly a move that forced Grosjean to brake earlier than normal.

SVX
Agree totally. While maybe in a perfect world if Grosjean could have predicted that Hamilton would suddenly speed up again, he wouldn't have needed to slow down, but there would still be a level of doubt and hesitance; they did get quite close, as you can see from the video. From the looks of some replies, people aren't even looking at what's happening and just instead writing it off because it's prisonermonkeys.

The stewards' wording is quite specific; the fact they say that whilst he may have been affected he wasn't impeded suggests he didn't have to brake early. I don't know how you could tell whether he braked earlier or not from the video - surely that would only be clear through telemetry (which the stewards said they looked at).

Having said all that I'm surprised they totally cleared him - certain other drivers battling Ferrari for the title have been punished for a lot less........ :P

The last race of this season will be the 976th race. We'll be at 997 races at the end of 2018 so we'll hit 1000 at the 3rd race of the 2019 season. If the 2019 calendar is in the same order as 2018* then that's Bahrain
I just posted something to this effect in another thread.

If the 2019 season started in late March, then the third round could feasibly take place in late April. A European round late in the spring as the 1000th race could work.

The stewards' wording is quite specific; the fact they say that whilst he may have been affected he wasn't impeded suggests he didn't have to brake early. I don't know how you could tell whether he braked earlier or not from the video - surely that would only be clear through telemetry (which the stewards said they looked at).

Having said all that I'm surprised they totally cleared him - certain other drivers battling Ferrari for the title have been punished for a lot less........ :P

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. If Grosjean had known Hamilton was going to leave it so late, sure, it'd be fine, but the timing of it would leave any driver wary, I think. It was pretty much as Grosjean was right on his ass. It could've easily gone the same as as Baku, where an assumption was wrong and then you'd run up the backside, ruining the chances for both. That's my view on it at least.

The way I see it, from my high and mighty position, is the difference between IMPEDING and BLOCKING .
Blocking implies intent to disrupt someone's lap whereas impeding which may have the same result would be unintentional ?
But, yes. Hamilton should have been paying more attention. A driver of his abilities should be more aware of what is going on around him. And maybe a little more considerate of other racers.

Last edited:

I don't know much about dogs - are these hybrid breeds?

proxy.php

I don't know much about dogs - are these hybrid breeds?
We know one of those dogs (George, on the left). My eldest has, in fact, walked it.

Her grandparents got it as a rescue (about their third in two week) and gave him back almost instantly because they're insane (ie he wasn't exactly the same as their previous dog, same as the others). Spaniel Aid took him in, and he attracted the attention of the police who were in to see another dog. Now he's a drugs dog.

I just posted something to this effect in another thread.

If the 2019 season started in late March, then the third round could feasibly take place in late April. A European round late in the spring as the 1000th race could work.
Ha, look up the 2000 British Grand Prix and tell me that worked xD

Hah, you can see the pure angst in Bottas face as for what the honeybadger behind might be up too... :lol:

Just to make sure race starts in 38 minutes, 13.00 British central Greenwich time or however it's a called?

So confusing...

British central Greenwich time or however it's a called?

So confusing...
Yes, curse the UK and its single confusing timezone, which is literally the reference time for half the year and then one hour ahead for the other half.

At the moment it's summer in Britain, and we have the clocks an hour forward. It's called British Summer Time. We don't have that much summer, so we make a big deal of it.

When it isn't advanced (October to May), we use Greenwich Mean Time, which is the reference time for all other time. It's even used by the US military, as Universal Coordinated Time (UTC), or Zulu time.

Just watching Karun in the FW14b , what a machine.
Apart from all its technical brilliance I just love how clean and uncluttered the bodywork was .

Ok, thanks Famine!

Let's go, Kai Ebel just called Verstappen a "Käse Aufschnitt" :lol:

No idea how that's called in English, a cheese selection maybe? ;p

Let's go, Kai Ebel just called Verstappen a "Käse Aufschnitt" :lol:

No idea how that's called in English, a cheese selection maybe? ;p
In English English, it'd be a cheeseboard, which is a term that means a selection of cheeses on a cheese board - where a cheese board is a board upon which you can place a selection of cheeses to make a cheeseboard.

And you thought the timezone thing was confusing.

Back