2017 Formula 1 United States Grand PrixFormula 1 

Chance of rain when the lights go out Sunday, 10%. Showers and T-Storms Sat evening and overnight but clearing off by noon Sunday.

It's been frustrating to get here, but now that I am this is a pretty cool thing.

Bottas has had something happen.

Edit: wasn't expecting a hike like this...

Attachments

• 1508515944405.jpg
    1508515944405.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1508517303098.jpg
    1508517303098.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
They often generate more overtaking than non-Tilke tracks - and we can never predict when a race will actually be exciting. Although Valencia was always (iirc) truly awful.
Oh I know, I was more referencing the fact that there are quite a number of people who tend to automatically recoil in disgust whenever the word Tilkedrome gets mentioned, and that they made a very smart move by attaching the track to a vibrant city instead of plunking it down way out in the middle of nowhere like many other countries did.

I really like the flow of the track when I drive it in the various sim I play with. Nothing to do with any of the surrounding since I rarely go to see f1 on track. I think there's a lot of interesting point. Uphill breaking and 180 turn on an uphill, then the sequence of corners have nothing to envy to the suzuka corners except maybe the massive run off. Then you have a chicane uphill, then a downhill and a big breaking contest before the drs straigth. The stadium part could have been better, it's pretty hard to overtake there on dry condition.
I've found it to be an interesting track to drive in Forza as well, and I've also noticed that it's one of the very few tracks where running it in reverse doesn't feel massively awkward. There aren't really any parts of the track that feel like they were only meant to be driven on in one direction.

Weird how the only Grand Prix in the same country as NBC and for some reason FP2, the main session that is ALWAYS on TV, is only on the NBCSports App and without commentary.

Every session on TV my ass...

Update: Commentary is back but it's still very strange that FP2 isn't on broadcast TV right now

Weird how the only Grand Prix in the same country as NBC and for some reason FP2, the main session that is ALWAYS on TV, is only on the NBCSports App and without commentary.

Every session on TV my ass...

Update: Commentary is back but it's still very strange that FP2 isn't on broadcast TV right now
What's on instead? There's no NBCSN presense at all out here.

I hope Lewis wins the title in Mexico. Can you image the scenes if he's celebrating the championship win on the podium in the baseball stadium? It's the perfect place for a title win.

I'm up late watching the Dutch Formule 1 Cafe and amongst the small bits and bobs I can understand, they played an English language clip from the press interviews asking Hamilton about rumours he will take a knee during the anthem.

He said "I don't have a position on that. Winning here is the most important thing given what's going on in this country. That's a priority... for me. You know what I mean."

Somewhat cryptic. I half-expect him to do it.

I half-expect him to do it.
Lol, me too... Even though while I understand the gesture, I don't really understand the point? This is somehow an anti Trump thing, I get that. But what's the deeper point? Does anyone think he cares and why did Americans vote for this president if they don't like him?

It would definitely be super hilarious as Hamilton isn't even American, Trump would probably care even less...

Sorry if this is naive, but I don't really follow the news and for me America has lost face after this "election" - so I don't really know what's up there.

I do remember though people said something about "impeachment, just a few weeks" right after... which I don't think anything the like happened?

And sorry if this appears "off topic" but if Hamilton does the knee thing it won't be anymore, right? ;)

He came as close to denying he would do it without explicitly saying he wouldn't in the press conference. If Lewis agrees with the premise behind the knee, I can understand and accept that, but it isn't really his remit to do it. I don't think any of the drivers should do it.

It would definitely be super hilarious as Hamilton isn't even American

His heritage is disapora though, so there's a definite connection there. I hope he doesn't do it - not because it's not his choice but because of the ridiculous amount of controversy that would then overshadow the event. He's surely aware that if he takes the WDC at this race (unlikely, but Ferrari's recent reliability has been shocking) then it wouldn't be the main headline.

I hope he doesn't do it - not because it's not his choice but because of the ridiculous amount of controversy that would then overshadow the event. He's surely aware that if he takes the WDC at this race (unlikely, but Ferrari's recent reliability has been shocking) then it wouldn't be the main headline.
Yeap, I agree that's the main reason doing this would be pretty stupid in my opinion. But stranger things have happened (although not by much).

I hope Lewis wins the title in Mexico. Can you image the scenes if he's celebrating the championship win on the podium in the baseball stadium? It's the perfect place for a title win.
It'd be cool if Mexicans were not hardcore Ferrari fans or didn't prefer Rosberg over Hamilton.

Hindsight and all, I found it weird he would willingly miss out on a F1 race just because of some vague chance to win a "super formula" championship. Still tough luck though lol.

Question: when is the race in local time? I don't wanna miss it and rtl isn't reliable with their TV program preview, they trolled me a couple of times already.

Hindsight and all, I found it weird he would willingly miss out on a F1 race just because of some vague chance to win a "super formula" championship. Still tough luck though lol.

Question: when is the race in local time? I don't wanna miss it and rtl isn't reliable with their TV program preview, they trolled me a couple of times already.
http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2017-f1/schedule

Pretty sure I heard it was at the request of Honda, seeing as he runs for them in Super Formula and they will be the Toro Rosso engine supplier next year.

Well if you think about it, would you rather be an open wheel champion 2 years in a row in some of the most competitive series out there or finish p14 at an f1 race?

Thanks!
Pretty sure I heard it was at the request of Honda, seeing as he runs for them in Super Formula and they will be the Toro Rosso engine supplier next year.
Ah, possible, I thought it was more like he wanted to race there, but whatever, tough luck for sure now...

Well if you think about it, would you rather be an open wheel champion 2 years in a row in some of the most competitive series out there or finish p14 at an f1 race?
Definitely p8 in a F1 race!! ;)

Also, a bit selfish I would have loved seeing him drive, he's quick!

Gasly said a few weeks ago that his preference was to miss the Formula A last race and don't miss the COTA F1 race.

As a matter of fact, Ghasly had a chance to win the championship this week-end: if he'd done the best time in Q1, he would have won one point, as Q2 and Q3 have been canceled. Obviously he learnt about this opportunity too late.

I should be out at the track, mainly to justify the cost of parking, but I'm not at my best at the moment. Debating on if I should go this afternoon just long enough to compound my sunburn then come back or make sure I'm out there all day tomorrow and relax today. Considering I'm using vacation time for this, leaning towards the latter. Think I've missed or will end up missing both races today.

I'd say go for the big race tomorrow all-day, everything else is just filler really. Suffer for what (I imagine) is the reason you went in the first place.

What is going on? NBCSN says Quali should be on NOW for EST times, yet they are playing (replaying?) FP3? But from the sounds of it, FP3 happened already?

What is going on? NBCSN says Quali should be on NOW for EST times, yet they are playing (replaying?) FP3? But from the sounds of it, FP3 happened already?
Starts in 50 minutes. Liberty and friends wanted to add more 'show' and invited someone (was it Bieber or Timberlake?) to attract more fans. Therefor a delay in the schedule

Likely Timberlake. He's on stage after qualifying ends so he's already there, why not get more screentime. Also it may very well be live because I think it's scheduled for 4 local (US Central)

Thinking about where to be on the lawns, from turn 1 to the esses are good, 10 is ok but probably gonna be packed, then various spots from 17 to 19, though 19 is likely gonna be shoulder-to-shoulder as it was in FP2 yesterday.

Here at the GP. Reading through the program and caught this gem of Ricciardo talking about playing Gran Turismo!

20171021_153303.jpg

Gonna chance it this year and sititing at the turn 11 hairpin. We're thinking that it'll be a good passing opportunity in the wet. Hoping for rain, bring it on, I'm ready!

Been watching the cars go through the esses for practice and quali and holy crap! They're ridiculous through there!

@Gravitron

Is it just me, or are the cars starting to bounce on the straights? If they are, then it looks like COTA is gonna get a decent dose of the soil shifting that plagues the entire state.

Is it just me, or are the cars starting to bounce on the straights? If they are, then it looks like COTA is gonna get a decent dose of the soil shifting that plagues the entire state.

I think I heard Max talking about it in an interview that the track was very bumpy this year.

Back